The Circus of Adventure

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Moonraker

Re: The Circus of Adventure

Post by Moonraker »

Courtenay wrote: I personally don't feel offended if others choose to. It's a pretty individual thing, I guess, what one considers acceptable or unacceptable.
Reminds me of a Muslim gentleman, being treated in an ambulance. He kept saying, "For Christ's sake, help me!" A colleague asked why he was asking Christ for help instead of Mohammed or Allah. He replied, "Anyone will do in a crisis." :roll:

I wonder if other faiths use their deities' names as a swear word? I've never heard anyone say, "For Mohammed's sake, get a move on!" for example.
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

No, Muslims will never say, " For Muhammad's sake" because we don't consider Muhammad as a God but Muslims are encouraged to use Subhanallah, Masha Allah, Alhamdulillah, Allahuakbar, innalillah...(it's a bit longer), Lahaulawallah.... (also it's a bit longer), Astaghfirullah and Lailahaillallah or simply Ya Allah but they are not compulsory. These are not curse words. All of these words are known as dzikr/zikir.

We say Subhanallah( Glory be to God) and masha Allah when we see beautiful/(or otherwise) things created by The God like natures or to express happiness.

We say Alhamdulillah(Praise be to God) when we feel grateful or when we get what we want.

We say Allahuakbar(God is The Greatest) to give us strength.

We say Innalillah...(From God we come and to God we will go back) to express sadness or when we hear the death of someone.

We say Lahaulawallah...( There's no power without God's help) when we seek the help from God.

We say Astaghfirullah when we're asking a pardon from God.

We say Lailahailallah- meaning There is no God other that the true AlMighty. To remind us that there is no other god but the one true non-being God that is to be worshipped alone.

Ya Allah simply means Oh God. The simplest expression. I always use this every day. And 99% other Muslims that I have met will always use this even though they are non-practicing Muslims.

Most Muslims say this every day including me. Sadly some bad people use this beautiful meaning expressions when they do bad things to the point that people who don't know the true meaning of these words associate the words with badness.

We are all allowed to say these words because they are not curse words and Muslims will not be offended at all.

That Muslims gentleman could have said Astaghfirullah or simply Ya Allah in his situation.

Hope this explain as to why you never hear people say For Muhammad's sake. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Really interesting, Sixret.

Would you use "Ya Allah" in the same way as we would use "Oh God"? As in "Oh God, I forgot to unplug the iron before I went out" or "Oh God, look at that tree that's fallen down"?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

Yes, Fiona. Exactly the same.

I translate those two words in Malay language:

"Ya Allah, saya terlupa nak cabut plag seterika sebelum saya keluar."

"Ya Allah, tengok pokok yang tumbang tu."
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Interesting how that's not seen as blasphemy to Muslims, or would it be considered blasphemous if a non-Muslim was to say it?

My gran used to get me into trouble for saying "Oh God," or "Oh my God," in surprise, and yet she never went with my grandad to church.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

No, not at all. We are encouraged to use it as an oral form of total submission to one true supreme power that can't be seen in this world but the signs of His existence are everywhere around us. My explanation is not as good as the link below:

http://www.allah.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In Islam, there are 3 ways to show submission to God. Believe in the heart, say what you believe(shahadah) and practical aspect(the 5 pillars/tenets) of Islam- pray 5 times a day(alone at home or in congregation at mosque, fasting in Ramadan, pay the alms for the poor and needy and perfoming hajj if you have sufficient fund.

Silky moon
Favourite book/series: Five Go Off In A Caravan
Favourite character: Moon Face

Re:

Post by Silky moon »

Mollybob wrote:I just found the "little foreigner" references to be particularly predominant in this book, whereas normally I don't notice them or can simply attribute them to the prevailing attitude of the times. I don't think that the book is racist as such, as there are plenty of positive foreign characters in it too. However, I do recall someone asking why foreigners don't bring up their children properly, and several similar statements.

My favourite adventure books have to be The Valley of Adventure and The Ship of Adventure. It is interesting how we all see different things in the various books, and it's no bad thing. In order of preference, The Circus of Adventure definitely comes last for me :-)

I tend to prefer treasure hunting stories, so perhaps that's where my main problem lies with this book :wink:
I think you have to bear in mind that attitudes were very different back then. The books aren't politically correct at all and the " offended" brigade weren't as predominant. It's not the best of the Adventure books, but that's nothing to do with the un PC attributes
I refuse to read censored Enid Blyton books
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks, sixret.

I really hate to hear "Oh my God" uttered after practically everything. Watching a tv programme recently, a woman uttered the phrased at least 50 times whilst viewing houses.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:I really hate to hear "Oh my God" uttered after practically everything. Watching a tv programme recently, a woman uttered the phrased at least 50 times whilst viewing houses.
OMG!!! :twisted:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Rob, you are so predictable. :roll:
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I try! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

OMG is really an Americanism and nothing to do with our culture but unfortunately this country is picking up some of the worst aspects of US culture.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Its Enid's fault for starting the rot by using such phrases as 'gee-whiz!' ;-) :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

You're welcome, Nigel. :D

Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

Let's get back on topic:

Yes, the Trapeze bit is a bit difficult to imagine... And I wouldn't want to be the children, but with the Count on the other side, I may take the Trapeze as well...
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."