Listen-Through/Discussion of Famous Five Audio Books

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
db105

Re: Listen-Through/Discussion of Famous Five Audio Books

Post by db105 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: Apologies to Timmy, but Pongo is my favourite animal character in the Famous Five series - followed by Mischief. And Kiki from the Adventure series is the best of the lot! I love the creatures that are slightly mischievous and full of personality.
Timmy has personality too. He's just not a funny sort of animal, at least not as funny as Pongo and Kiki. Those two are a riot, sometimes literally. Right now I don't remember who Mischief is, perhaps because I originally read the series in Spanish. I'll get to that (if it's in the Famous Five).

Rob Houghton wrote:I don't mind Kiki now I'm older, and sometimes I even find her quite enjoyable, lol - but as a child I couldn't stand her - in fact she was the reason I started 'Island of Adventure' aged 12 and never finished it! The first chapter put me off completely.

I've since read all the Adventure books and enjoy them all - but I guess I was unusual as a child - didn't think much of Timmy or Kiki or Miranda or Loony or any of the animal characters! 8)
I like the animal characters. They provide protection (some of them) and some of them are really funny. And who wouldn't have liked to have such loyal and affectionate pets? At least I did, as a city boy who could not have anything bigger than a turtle.
----------------------------------
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

db105 wrote:Right now I don't remember who Mischief is, perhaps because I originally read the series in Spanish. I'll get to that (if it's in the Famous Five).
Yes, Mischief is in the Famous Five series but only appears towards the end.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

Five on Kirrin Island Again (Famous Five #6, 1947)

** spoiler alert **

Blurb: What can Uncle Quentin be up to - all alone - on Kirrin Island. He won't let anyone visit - not even George and the rest of the Famous Five. But Quentin isn't really all alone on the island - somebody is watching his every move!
----

Random thoughts:

So, it's back to Kirrin Cottage and Kirrin Island. This is book six in the series and four of them have taken place there. At least we come from two adventures in a row in different locations, so I was OK with it. Also, I know that from here on we'll be seeing less of Kirrin Island. Apparently, Blyton had originally planned for this to be the last book in the series, and she wanted to close the circle coming back to where it all started. The last sentence of the book sounds like a definitive good bye, but fortunately she would change her mind and treat us to fifteen more Famous Five adventures.

We start with a rare glimpse of the girls' life at boarding school. Not that we see much of it, but it's nice to see a bit of that aspect of their lives. The Famous Five adventures always take place during the holidays, which makes sense since it's the only time they would be together, since education was segregated by gender.

George receives the news that her father is using her island for his experiments and doesn't take it so well. She spends a lot of time being moody in this book, but on her defense I have to admit that they hit all her triggers: her island and Timmy. Speaking of the island, it's back to being George's. That generous gift to the other children so that the island is shared by all of them seems to be forgotten. I guess Enid Blyton's editor was not very good. Oh well, it was a nice gesture, but George's possessiveness towards her island is fun. I don't find George annoying nor tiresome for being so moody, because she makes so much sense to me. I totally understand where she is coming from and what makes her tick. She's an excellent character, flawed but likable. Of course she gets sulky when life conspires against her like that. How could she not?

Speaking of the island, Uncle Quentin's science keeps being weird. Why on earth would he need to work on an island? And how about that strange tower he builds on it? Just weird. Later we learn that he is working on a new, clean, cheap energy source for all mankind. He succeeds, too. It's a pity this is fiction, we could definitely use that.

The pre-adventure part is enjoyable enough. It doesn't have the oppressive atmosphere of some books, but neither does it have the intoxicating freedom of the adventures where the children go on their own. It's just normal domestic life, which is made possible by Uncle Quentin not being at home.

The adventure part is quite short, not as short as in Go Adventuring Again, but short anyway. It's rather satisfying when it happens, though.

Alf the fisher boy is now called James the fisher boy. Seriously, did Enid Blyton have an editor or did they publish her manuscripts exactly as she sent them?

It's mentioned that Joanna the cook is back to help during the holidays. I thought it was a full-time position? Or was she ill or something?

When they meet Martin, George takes to him and offers to take him to the island. That seemed weird to me, because she had always been so reluctant to take people there, except for his cousins (and even his cousins initially). Besides, Martin does not exactly pass the Timmy test. The dog does not dislike him but completely ignores him. Well, perhaps George has grown a bit since the first book and understands the joys of sharing. Also, maybe EB realized that she couldn't have Timmy announcing right at the beginning who is a good guy and who is a bad guy, not if she wanted some mystery.

Dick did not trust Martin and his father and had a row with George because she told them too much. Dick was right, but at some points he was a bit... well, dickish about it, what with the "just like a girl" comments, knowing how sensitive George is about that. Those were a bit off, although I have to admit that he was probably weary of George's moods and sulkiness in this book. Also, at other times his teasing was gentler and more brotherly and funny.

Uncle Quentin is at his most distracted. He forgets to feed himself and wolfs down all the sandwiches his family brings when they visit him at the island. I'm surprised he remembers to give the luminous signals to indicate that he is fine. Also, George had a point when she worried that he would forget to feed Timmy once he asks for him to accompany him on the island. I know Uncle Quentin says that he might forget to feed himself, but never an animal that depends on him, but really, would you trust him, knowing him? On the other hand, Timmy can look after himself, either catching rabbits now that George is not there to forbid it or reminding Uncle Quentin that he is hungry. By the way, Timmy was too intelligent when he lay by Uncle Quentin to indicate he was OK with remaining on the island. He's as smart as a human, our Tim!

I have difficulties imagining Uncle Quentin finding secret passages. Also, I don't seen a reason for him to hide where he is working... that seems just a plot device, to keep the intrigue.

The moment when George realizes that she is under the sea and gets scared captured my imagination as a boy. Of course, her reasoning to calm down is sound: the tunnel must have been there for centuries, so why would it collapse right when she is there?

Why on Earth would there be such a complex system of tunnels under the sea, connecting Kirrin Island with the mainland?

Very lucky that the bad guys did not dispose of Timmy when they captured him. One would have thought that ruthless spies like those would not hesitate to get rid of a bothersome dog. Also, weird that they parachuted on the island but did not really have a mean of escape.

George was the main character in this book, without a doubt. She gets the spotlight all the time, both before and during the adventure.

Very nice that they helped Martin at the end. The coastguard was right: he is a lonely boy, but not bad at all.

Anne had a funny moment when she berated Mr. Curton. Funny because of how uncharacteristic it is of Anne to be so fierce.

Also quite a funny touch at the end when Uncle Quentin tells Aunt Fanny that the soup she left for him was awful. (He had consistently forgotten to eat it and Aunt Fanny told him many times that it must be spoiled by now and to please throw it away).

All in all, not as good as Five Go Off in a Caravan, but very enjoyable nevertheless.

Next up: Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five #7, 1948)
“I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?”
― Stephen King, The Body
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

A thorough analysis, Db105. I remember reading Five on Kirrin Island Again for the first time (aged 8 or 9) and hating the idea of a tower - albeit temporary - being built on the island. What cheek! It was even worse than Peter and Janet's gardener having the temerity to store onions in the shed where the Secret Seven held their meetings (Secret Seven Fireworks). Kirrin Island and the Secret Seven shed were sacrosanct in my eyes and it seemed shocking for them to be violated in that manner. Kirrin Island is special, wild and lonesome and outside the everyday world, the only building being the remains of an ancient castle - now inhabited by jackdaws. Yet Quentin uses the island as a scientific laboratory and spoils the mood by erecting a tall, modern structure which looks completely out of place! George is to be applauded for grudgingly accepting the tower and for letting her father have Timmy for protection.

I never noticed that the actual adventure part is relatively short because it's so... well... explosive! I've always found it thrilling. Besides, there's a lot of conflict and intrigue in the build-up. The novelty of the tower, the drama surrounding George and the uncertainty about Martin and his father are all very interesting to read about. I love the scattiness of Uncle Quentin too - especially the soup episode, which I found hilarious as a child.

It does seem that no careful editing of these books took place before publication!

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

I know what you mean about the island. It's George's precious possession, and the grown-ups were always so cavalier about seizing it for their own use. And later they take Tim too! No wonder George is upset, although I had to admit, like George eventually does, that the need for it was real.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:George is to be applauded for grudgingly accepting the tower and for letting her father have Timmy for protection.
Yes. Not that she was given much choice, but she was not as unreasonable as she might have been, even if she did not like it at all.

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I never noticed that the actual adventure part is relatively short because it's so... well... explosive! I've always found it thrilling. Besides, there's a lot of conflict and intrigue in the build-up. The novelty of the tower, the drama surrounding George and the uncertainty about Martin and his father are all very interesting to read about. I love the scattiness of Uncle Quentin too - especially the soup episode, which I found hilarious as a child.
I agree. Curiously, I seemed to remember something from my childhood reading about the underwater tunnels getting flooded, and thought it might happen here. Now I don't know whether it happens in a different book of the series or in a different book altogether.
― Stephen King, The Body
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

db105 wrote: I agree. Curiously, I seemed to remember something from my childhood reading about the underwater tunnels getting flooded, and thought it might happen here. Now I don't know whether it happens in a different book of the series or in a different book altogether.
You might be thinking of The Island of Adventure, which does have a dramatic ending with undersea tunnels being flooded.

I've only read Five on Kirrin Island Again once, years ago, but I remember finding it quite exciting and a bit chilling, with what could have happened to the island — and I agree, the soup incident at the end is very funny... typical Quentin!! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
db105

Post by db105 »

Courtenay wrote: You might be thinking of The Island of Adventure, which does have a dramatic ending with undersea tunnels being flooded.
That was probably it. The two Blyton series I was a fan of as a child were the Famous Five and the Adventure series. I also read a couple of Secret Seven, but I probably got to that too old, and they seemed simple and unexciting in comparison with the other two series.
Courtenay wrote: the soup incident at the end is very funny... typical Quentin!! :wink:
Yes, at some point in Kirrin Island Again, someone (Joanna or Aunt Fanny) comments that he is as bad as a child, forgetting his meals like that, and one of the children says that they would never forget a meal. Too true! :mrgreen:
― Stephen King, The Body
db105

Post by db105 »

Five Go Off to Camp (Famous Five #7)

** spoiler alert **

Blurb (I'll use the brief summary by Poppy Hutchinson in http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, since the book blurb seems rather uninformative): When the Famous Five go camping, in the company of Julian and Dick's eccentric school-teacher: Mr Luffy, surely they can't fall into adventure, in the quiet and lonely moorland that surrounds them? But, of course, somehow, they manage too, and find themselves on the trail of Spook Trains that appear, out of nowhere, in the dead of the night! Accompanied by their new friend, from a local farm: Jock, they venture out into the night, to investigate the extraordinary appearance of these peculiar trains, only to expose themselves to some of the most dangerous criminals they have faced, yet...

Random thoughts:

The book starts with the children planning their camping holiday during the summer. The beginning reminds me somewhat of Five Go Off in a Caravan, only a bit worse, because in Caravan that start seemed filled with more wonder and opportunity. In that book the children are lying on the grass, daydreaming about the fun they are going to have, while here they are in a room with a map, making plans in a more matter-of-fact way. Well, I guess it's normal; they are more experienced now, after all. Also, this time they are going to have an adult chaperone, Mr. Luffy, which is sure to cramp their style. At least that's what I thought, before meeting Mr. Luffy.

OK, so as the story got moving I thought this might be like Caravan, only not as good, but happily I found out that this book has pleasures of its own. One of them is Mr. Luffy. What a great character! He's one of those absent-minded professors EB likes creating, but how unlike Uncle Quentin he is. Good-natured, kind, with a sense of humor and none of Quentin's fierceness, he is surprisingly good with children. He gives the Five all the freedom they want, but not just because he is so absent-minded and obsessed with hunting for interesting insects, but also because he has an unusual ability to understand when to give them space. Oh, and he also can wiggle one of his ears! In the beginning he is thinking that he'll teach the children all about insects, but luckily for them he never seems to act on that. As a guardian he is not ideal from an adult point of view, though. He is forgetful, after all, and irresponsible in some ways, like the way he drove too fast, forgetting all the time that they were towing a trailer.

A couple of unimportant camping nitpicks: In the moors they use streams as a source of drinking water, without bothering to boil it or anything. However, considering that there are sheep and other animals around, that seems strange to me. Also, Blyton makes it sound as if sleeping on the ground in sleeping bags is more comfortable than it really is.

Mr. Luffy lets them camp away from him, so as not to spoil the children's fun. At some point one of the boys joke that they don't need to fear that Mr. Luffy will come running to check whether they have brushed their teeth of are wearing a warm jersey. Maybe he should have checked the teeth-brushing, though, as shown when the children go to sleep and eat chocolate in their sleeping bags.

I had to laugh at Anne's reaction to the "volcano", although I had to admit I was mystified until Mr. Luffy explained about the trains and underground tunnels. Quite cool of Mr. Luffy to keep the secret about Anne's scared reaction but occasionally teasing her gently about it.

One problem reading (or listening) these books as an adult is how obvious the bad guys are. Normally we know as soon as we meet them. Here we are immediately suspicious when we are told how surprisingly wealthy the farm was, and when we meet the nasty Mr. Andrews we know he is up to something. His stepson Jock and Mrs. Andrews are nice, though. I felt kind of sorry for them when we first met them, thinking that their lifestyle was going to be spoiled once the Five uncovered whatever criminal activities Mr. Andrews was involved it, which would get rid of the source of the money he poured on the farm. On the other hand, once I saw more of him, I knew they would be better off without him anyway.

Jock is a standard friend/ally of the children. Nice and eager enough, but not such as memorable a character as Mr. Luffy.

There was a very funny scene when Dick is in his sleeping bag and Mr. Luffy arrives and Dick, thinking it's Timmy, starts telling him to go away and not jump on him and put his paws on him when he is trying to sleep. Reading it nowadays in this less innocent time, it can even have a double meaning that Blyton clearly had not meant. I wonder if it's edited out in the "modern" revised edition.

The setting is really atmospheric. I found myself enjoying the pre-adventure part a lot. The adventure part is also quite good, but there were a few things that spoiled part of my enjoyment:

First, we have Jock and the Five's meanness to Cecil Dearlove. It's just an incident, and yes, I understand that Cecil is unlikable: a tattle-teller, cowardly, just-not-fun-at-all boy. But what did he do exactly to deserve being bullied just for being unlikable? This would have not bothered me much as a boy, I admit, because children often have less empathy in these situations. Let's not exaggerate, nothing really bad was done to Cecil, but they were rather mean to him. Not something to be proud about regarding the Five, who are so likable in many other ways. I have listened to the first seven books in the series now, and this is the second time I have had reservations about something the children do. The first time was in Five Run Away Together, when they were mean to (S)Tinker the Sticks' dog. They were also mean to Edgar Stick, but I don't count that against them, since Edgar clearly started it and was a nasty piece of work. Anyway, the children are not perfect, and that's OK with me, but what seems a bit off-putting is that Blyton seems to think that behavior is fine, or at least that's my perception of how she treats the incident.

OK, so that's one thing. As I said, that would not have bothered me as a boy, and as Enid Blyton herself said, she is not concerned about the opinion of critics over 12 years old. There's a large tradition in children's literature of minor lack of empathy against unpleasant children, after all. However, what would have bothered me as a boy is how the others treat George at some points here. Anne doesn't want to go look for the "spook trains" in the tunnels, so George is kept away from the adventure because someone needs to stay with Anne. What? Anne is a bit out of character there because, although she is scared, she does want to be included in the adventures, even if she likes them better when they are over. But even accepting she wants to sit this one out, is it really unacceptable to leave her alone for a while at camp, even if it's during the night? Can't another solution be found, possibly involving Mr. Luffy, who is quite understanding of the children's escapades? The boys were kind of nasty about this: they not only try to leave George out of the night expeditions, they also "punish" her for getting in one of her moods about it. After George asked whether they'll let her come next time Julian says "Certainly not. This is my adventure and Dick's—and perhaps Jock's. Not yours or Anne's." Way to be a jerk there, Julian. In his defense, George had been kind of nasty too, calling Anne coward.

Again, what bothers me is not that the children have a row. That happens sometimes in childhood friendships. What bothers me is how the author seems to assume that George is automatically in the wrong here. Dick and Anne side with Julian without question, and George herself assumes it's her fault for being silly and moody and eventually apologizes. But really, she's not being silly. Are they or are they not friends? Do friends act like that, knowing very well how much George is going to hate it? I'm trying to be fair here and avoid judging this our current values, when this was written and is set in the 40s. I accept society gave boys and girls different roles then, and that the values of the time held that girls needed to be looked after. Anne likes being looked after and I'm perfectly OK with that. But not George. Just treat him like a boy already, idiots. Or if you sometimes can't, if your social conditioning pushes you to protect the girls in certain situations, at least don't be jerks about it. The row here goes beyond other let's-protect-George-because-she's-a-girl incidents in the series, and I would like to see it addressed instead of instantly forgotten. I know that's not going to happen, though. It's a pity, because I find this stuff regarding the dynamics of the characters' relationships very interesting (that's one of the reasons I loved Go Adventuring Again even though it was adventure-light), and dealing with that a bit more would have made the books better.

Oh, well... at least George got to shine, looking for the trains on her own and later rescuing the boys, who had been taken prisoner. Even Anne showed that when it was necessary she could master her fears and show courage.

One more problem with the story: like in Smuggler's Top, the bad guys' plan here made little sense. Why on Earth did they need such a complex operation involving trains and abandoned train tracks and tunnels? This is something that I find easy to forgive because I'm trying to enjoy these as a child, while savoring the details and the atmosphere as an adult, and this would have bothered me little as a boy. I would just have accepted it as the nefarious plot of the bad guys, and just enjoyed the spooky atmosphere and thrilling danger, without needing a clear reason for the bad guys to act that way.

OK, so I guess that's it. I have spent a lot of time talking about the problems with the story, but actually I found it quite enjoyable to read. There was just a slightly bittersweet taste left for me, mainly for the treatment of George. The other flaws I care less about.

Next up: Five Get Into Trouble (Famous Five, #8)
― Stephen King, The Body
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

As a child I loved the seemingly-supernatural flavour of Five Go Off to Camp. The phrase "spook train" sounded fantastically frightening and I couldn't imagine how everything was going to be explained in the end. Wooden-Leg Sam was scary too, enhancing the feeling of disquiet.

My sister and I had a Hornby railway set with a tunnel and some plastic figures of people and animals. Four of the figures became Julian, Dick, Anne and George, and we had a border collie (the sheepdog from a farm set) for Timmy. The people and animals weren't to the same scale as the trains and tunnel, being rather too big, but in our imagination everything was perfect. We made "tents" for the figures by folding pieces of stiff white paper and we dramatised Five Go Off to Camp and other Famous Five stories, including ones we made up. Happy memories!

Mr. Luffy seems like great fun and I'd have loved to go off on holiday with someone like that as a youngster.

I agree that Jock is nice and friendly and fits in well but doesn't quite have the appeal of some of the more quirky, romantic or unconventional characters - such as Sooty, Nobby and Jo.

I too have reservations about the Five's treatment of Cecil Dearlove. The Adventure children's attitude towards Lucian in The Ship of Adventure is similarly unsettling. As a child I think I went along with the Cecil incident without thinking anything of it, as it's only a small part of the book. However, Lucian plays a major role in The Ship of Adventure and has much more to him than Jack and the others are willing to acknowledge. Even as a child of nine, I was sorry for him and felt ashamed of my favourite characters for treating him so badly.

Excluding George from the night-time investigations is unfair. However, it adds to the tension and it's good to see George have the last laugh when she and Timmy end up having an adventure of their own!

Until it was discussed on here at some point, it never occurred to me to wonder why the criminals needed such a complicated set-up!

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

Yep, I agree that the atmosphere/flavor of this book is really enjoyable and spooky. Also about Mr. Luffy. in the beginning I thought he would be a drag, but he did not impair the children's fun in any way, and he was very wise in how he dealt with them, like not interfering when they had a row, letting them work it out among themselves, how he did not cooperate with Mr. Andrews when he was looking for Jock, how he always sensed when the children needed space and gave it, how good-humored he was... very sensible for such a distracted professor.
Anita Bensoussane wrote: My sister and I had a Hornby railway set with a tunnel and some plastic figures of people and animals. Four of the figures became Julian, Dick, Anne and George, and we had a border collie (the sheepdog from a farm set) for Timmy. The people and animals weren't to the same scale as the trains and tunnel, being rather too big, but in our imagination everything was perfect. We made "tents" for the figures by folding pieces of stiff white paper and we dramatised Five Go Off to Camp and other Famous Five stories, including ones we made up. Happy memories!
:D That sounds fun!

I too have reservations about the Five's treatment of Cecil Dearlove. The Adventure children's attitude towards Lucian in The Ship of Adventure is similarly unsettling. As a child I think I went along with the Cecil incident without thinking anything of it, as it's only a small part of the book. However, Lucian plays a major role in The Ship of Adventure and has much more to him than Jack and the others are willing to acknowledge. Even as a child of nine, I was sorry for him and felt ashamed of my favourite characters for treating him so badly.
I loved the Adventure series as a boy, but I could only find the first four, I think, so I haven't read Ship of Adventure. Maybe I should look for those now and do a reread after the Famous Five.

But yes, sometimes it seems that in these books there's the philosophical idea that children, boys in particular, should be active and brave, enjoy outdoors activities and all that, and those who did not fit that mold were somehow to be pitied or even scorned.

As a counterexample, however, in Kirrin Island Again the five are quite kind to Martin...
Excluding George from the night-time investigations is unfair. However, it adds to the tension and it's good to see George have the last laugh when she and Timmy end up having an adventure of their own!
Yes, at least there's that. But I really was indignant on George's behalf when the others were so mean in this book. If I had been there, I would have certainly taken her side.
― Stephen King, The Body
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

If you've got several more Adventure titles to read you're in for a treat, Db105! :D
db105 wrote:But yes, sometimes it seems that in these books there's the philosophical idea that children, boys in particular, should be active and brave, enjoy outdoors activities and all that, and those who did not fit that mold were somehow to be pitied or even scorned.

As a counterexample, however, in Kirrin Island Again the five are quite kind to Martin...
It's interesting to look at the portrayal of town boy Cyril in the Six Cousins books. At first, his country cousins tell him that if his name is Cyril he jolly well ought not to look/behave like one (or something like that - I'm paraphrasing) and they're scornful of his long hair, his love of poetry and what they consider to be his namby-pamby ways. Cyril does cut his hair and take on physical jobs around the farm (albeit reluctantly at first) but his love of poetry actually deepens and becomes more real, and his country cousins come to appreciate some verses too (or at least Jane does). Jack even starts copying some of Cyril's caring, thoughtful ways, realising that they're not namby-pamby but considerate and helpful.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

There's also an Enid Blyton short story, A Noise in the Night (I first read it in the collection Stories for You), which I've always appreciated — it's about a boy who's ridiculed by the others in his boarding school for being a "shrimp", not liking rough games, loving animals and nature and preferring quiet pastimes like listening to the radio. But one night during a terrible thunderstorm, he hears a dog whimpering and ventures out... I won't give the whole story away, but what he finds and how he responds results potentially in lives being saved, and at the end he's acknowledged by the headmaster — and by the other boys! — as a real hero. So there's another story where Enid gives the very clear message that being "different" is OK, and quiet and thoughtful boys are just as worthy as bold and adventurous ones. I remember when I read The Ship of Adventure a few years ago, I was dismayed at how the children's treatment of Lucien (which, let's face it, amounts to bullying) gives quite the opposite message. :(
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Courtenay wrote:There's also an Enid Blyton short story, A Noise in the Night (I first read it in the collection Stories for You), which I've always appreciated — it's about a boy who's ridiculed by the others in his boarding school for being a "shrimp", not liking rough games, loving animals and nature and preferring quiet pastimes like listening to the radio. But one night during a terrible thunderstorm, he hears a dog whimpering and ventures out... I won't give the whole story away, but what he finds and how he responds results potentially in lives being saved, and at the end he's acknowledged by the headmaster — and by the other boys! — as a real hero. So there's another story where Enid gives the very clear message that being "different" is OK, and quiet and thoughtful boys are just as worthy as bold and adventurous ones.
This was one of my favourite stories as a boy - probably because I identified with the main character! I hated sports and games and reading, and often wished I was more adventurous. It's still a really effective story and one I still enjoy...despite being much more adventurous now than I was as a boy!

There's one other story with flooded tunnels (as discussed in the 'Five On Kirrin Island' section) - and that is 'The Secret Mountain'. It contains some thrilling tunnel scenes, and also includes Jack and Mafumu swimming along flooded tunnels, under water, not knowing how long they will have to hold their breaths before the roof gets high enough to breathe! Absolutely terrifying especially on a first reading! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I distinctly remember reading this story as a child and found the hold up/diversion/distraction of Cecil coming to play excruciating and frustrating for Jock.

It showed me just how calculating and scheming Jock's stepfather really was.Poor Cecil (god love him),was sadly caught up in the crossfire of all these political manoeuvres.

Enid painted him out to be a lacklustre, wimpish sort of chap - perhaps to deliberately make sure we did not have too much sympathy for him?

Had he been a tall,strong,masculine,adventurous type up for a bit of adventure and rough and tumble it would not have created the same amount of tension in the book.

Enid obviously knew how to tease and frustrate and leave her readers with bated,expectant breath even in the middle of the story before the full blown adventure was upon us dear readers....

Cecil arrived by car. He was about the same age as Jock, though he was small for twelve years old. He had curly hair which was too long, and his grey flannel suit was very, very clean and well-pressed.
Does Eileen Soper illustrate Cecil the way he is described in the text - or the way you imagine him in your mind?
Sadly,the magnificent Betty Maxey chooses not to depict Cecil at all leaving us only our imagination to envision what he would look like via her unique style of linear artwork...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
db105

Post by db105 »

pete9012S wrote: I distinctly remember reading this story as a child and found the hold up/diversion/distraction of Cecil coming to play excruciating and frustrating for Jock.

It showed me just how calculating and scheming Jock's stepfather really was.Poor Cecil (god love him),was sadly caught up in the crossfire of all these political manoeuvres.

Enid painted him out to be a lacklustre, wimpish sort of chap - perhaps to deliberately make sure we did not have too much sympathy for him?

Had he been a tall,strong,masculine,adventurous type up for a bit of adventure and rough and tumble it would not have created the same amount of tension in the book.
Well, yes, Mr. Andrews used him as a way to keep Jock tied up and prevent him from joining the others in looking into the spook trains. Had he been the adventurous type he would probably have joined in. The fact that he is the impediment that keeps the children from enjoying themselves and investigate as they want makes him an opponent in a certain way, and therefore fair game for the children's pranks. But of course, none of that is Cecil's fault.
― Stephen King, The Body