Enid's Last Diaries

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Enid's Last Diaries

Post by Rob Houghton »

Daisy wrote:or Bows perhaps?
Yes - never thought of that! probably is bows! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Not 'bows' I'm afraid, the last word there is 'bottle', you can see three out of the four here:-

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... %5B1928%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the last one is here:-

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... %5B1928%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks Tony - I love the cover of the second book.

That harlequin chap reminds me of another young man I know also called Harley - whilst the lady is a dead ringer for another friend called Jane...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fascinating stuff. This thread is so interesting, good to see Enid's handwritten pages.
Society Member
Green Hedges

Post by Green Hedges »

Interesting to see the page of Enid's Work log from 1926 that Tony has posted.

As I said in my blog, Seven Stories has transcribed the 1926 diary, at least to the extent of 'sample and notable entries'.

So for Friday, Sep 3 - the day Enid wrote 2 stories and 2 poems (what was the published name of 'The Lost Hazel Nuts', Tony?) - this is what Enid wrote in her diary:

'Worked all a.m. Then went up to Teacher's World and saw Miss Cruise who wants me to go and interview A.A. Milne, De La Mare and S. John Webb! Went to Hugh's office and waited whilst he finished work. Read and did crossword puzzle until bed.'

Great lifestyle, eh? Enid writes all morning. Goes up to London to be offered an amazing opportunity to interview literary lions (and lioness). Then spends the evening with her husband (of just more than a year) before having some 'me' time before sleep!

The next diary entry noted by Seven Stories is Sep 6. It illustrates that Enid doesn't hang around...

Monday 6 September
'Went to see if I could interview De La Mare but he had left Anerley. I went up to town at 3.30 and had tea at Victoria. Then I went to Chelsea and interviewed A.A. Milne and saw Christopher Robin. Then to Temple and saw Mrs S John Webb. Then called on Hugh and we went home and both worked all night.'

Obviously what Enid wrote that night was the interview with AA Milne as that's what she's noted in her work log for Monday Sep. 6.(The Mrs S John Webb article is written on September 9.)

These early personal diaries are great for setting out the basics of Enid's life. Who she met, where she went, what she did, whether working or playing. Taken together with the work logs and with the short stories and poems (and nature notes and interviews) themselves, some great books could be made! Much more interesting, in my opinion, than just re-publishing short story collections without the biographical context.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Gosh - Enid was quick off the mark with the interviews! What a pity she missed Walter de la Mare.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member