Enid Blyton Bursary

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Enid Blyton Bursary

Post by pete9012S »

We’re thrilled to announce that five primary schools in the UK have secured fully-funded places on our popular Reading for Pleasure training in Swindon and Liverpool in the new school year, thanks to the Enid Blyton Bursary. 10 runners-up also won a year’s membership of the National Literacy Trust Network.

A teacher from one of the winning schools said:

"I want the children in my school to read for pleasure in order to help them be empathetic in these difficult and confusing times. I want them to see other people, other places, other times. I want them to have that gasp of delight when a twist in the tale has caught them off guard."
https://literacytrust.org.uk/news/five- ... -training/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Enid Blyton Bursary

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting, Pete. I didn't know about the Enid Blyton Bursary.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

pete9012S wrote: A teacher from one of the winning schools said:

"I want the children in my school to read for pleasure in order to help them be empathetic in these difficult and confusing times. I want them to see other people, other places, other times. I want them to have that gasp of delight when a twist in the tale has caught them off guard."
I like this. Does anyone else here agree that Enid's books did that for them in their formative years (and beyond)? Yes, Enid Blyton, the supposedly racist, sexist, classist, mind-numbingly repetitive author of dumbed-down tosh (as so many critics over the years would have us believe)??? :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, Enid's books did that for me too. They widened my horizons and taught me about different ways of life from an early age. We've heard a lot about Enid Blyton's supposed racism and sexism over the years but the books have lasted nevertheless and I think there's a renewed appreciation of some of the qualities they embody - empathy, comradeship, generosity, wonder and a positive outlook.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

And funnily enough, many of us were fed a steady diet of unedited Blyton as children and still didn't grow up to be racist or sexist ourselves, which says something... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)