Did Enid Blyton Ever Fly?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Enikyoga

Did Enid Blyton Ever Fly?

Post by Enikyoga »

In the course of doing research for my book, and probably earlier on when I read the Blyton books as a kid, i should have asked myself the question, "Did Enid Blyton Ever Fly," that is either in a plane or balloon (though flying in a balloon is a far rare occurence for anyone than in a plane)? From my rudimentary knowledge of Enid Blyton's travel itinerary, she always travelled by car or train in Britain. In 1914, although Barbara Stoney's biography does not tell us how she travelled to France in 1913, it would be presumed she either took a ferry or passenger boat across the English Channel. Air (aero) planes were not common during these days since they had barely been discovered a decade before. In 1930, her well-publicized trip to the Canary Islands, Morocco and via the Mediterranean and Atlantic was again by boat (ship). In 1948 when she travelled to the USA, again it was by ship. In The Valley Of Adventure, the children are mistakenly driven off in a mistaken areoplane. In the 1955 edition of The River Of Adventure, Stuart Tresilian has a photo of the children's family in an aeroplance. My impression was that apart from the fact that air flight was very rare and frigthfully scary (e.g. the mysterious disappearance of Amelia Earhart and her-co-pilot over the Pacific in 1937), Enid Blyton may have felt more comfortable either travelling by car, train and ship, which in her opiion may have been more exciting for writers like her who wanted to see more of the world while firmly on the ground rather than in being in an impersonal air sky where everything appears to be like toys from above (for those that have flown in airplanes, you know what I mean). Anyway, I want to know whether Enid Blyton ever flew in any type of aircraft in her life?
Stephen Isabirye
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Did Enid Blyton Ever Fly?

Post by Fiona1986 »

The title of this thread immediately made me imagine Enid, in a fur coat, flying herself with her arms spread.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I don't think I've ever read of Enid Blyton travelling by plane. However, there was certainly a great deal of interest in aviation at the time that she was writing books like The Secret Island and many children became interested in planes during the Second World War, so it would have been natural for her to incorporate planes into her adventure stories.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Anita, thanks a lot for your information.
Stephen I.
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

I think she may have dreamed so! As i read in Three cheers for secret seven when Jack and Secret seven loose Susy ' plane. I think it was her imagination at that time to have a toy plane though they didn't have one at that time.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Toy planes were popular with children, but travelling in a real plane was something that the vast majority of people wouldn't have experienced.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Fiona1986 wrote:The title of this thread immediately made me imagine Enid, in a fur coat, flying herself with her arms spread.
Wow! Great image Fiona! :lol: Are you feeling alright? No fever or anything? :lol:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
honesty
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Post by honesty »

Well, if you mean with wings? NO. But I don't think she would have flew on a plane, but maybe a boat to travel...
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

honesty wrote:I don't think she would have flew on a plane, but maybe a boat to travel...
As she did in all her three travels outside of the UK!!!
Stephen I.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I'd say it's quite possible she did.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

honesty wrote:I don't think she would have flew on a plane, but maybe a boat to travel...
Hmm, would have to be a flying boat wouldn't it? :lol:
Society Member
black labrador
Favourite book/series: Advenure and Mystery Series
Favourite character: Fatty, Lucy-Ann, Elizabeth Allen

Did Enid ever fly?

Post by black labrador »

Merged with an earlier topic.

According to Barbara Stoney's biography, Enid based many of the parts of her books situated overseas on her own travels, specifically her Mediterranean and US cruises. A number of her books, specifically the Adventure and the Secret series, involve travelling by plane and I wonder what she based these on? Did she ever fly, perhaps within the UK?
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Did Enid ever fly?

Post by number 6 »

I was gonna say 'No, she didn't have wings', but I thought that might be a tad bit sarcastic! :lol:
Seriously, though, I've read a lot of books about Enid's life & times, but I can honestly say that I never read anywhere that she had travelled by plane..unless it's slipped my mind! I'm quite curious now. :D
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Did Enid ever fly?

Post by Fiona1986 »

This thread might be useful to you -

(Thanks, Fiona. I've deleted your link as I've now merged the threads.)

I haven't had a chance to re-read it but I'm reasonably sure the answer is no, and her trips abroad were boat - but I could be wrong.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

We know that Enid Blyton's brother Carey was in the RAF at one stage, so perhaps his experiences contributed to her interest in planes.

Society Member