Did Enid Blyton Ever Fly?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Did Enid Blyton Ever Fly?

Post by Rob Houghton »

Well, if she used those special wings from The Mountain of Adventure, I'd say the answer is 'NO!' :twisted:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Hmmm...Wonder if her inspiration for the Areodrome base in Billycock hill came from her Brother's involvement with the R.A.F.? :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Just reading the children's descriptions of flying in Bill's plane in the first chapter of The Valley of Adventure makes me wonder if Enid ever did have at least one flight in her life — could her brother have taken her up one time? She includes some quite vivid and realistic details like "we went far, far higher than the clouds... I looked down on them and they didn't look like clouds a bit. They looked like a great big snow-field", "our house looked like a toy one", "it's frightfully exciting flying at night, and seeing the little pin-pricks of light shining up from the dark countryside." But I guess she could also have taken those from other people's descriptions, or from her own imagination.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I often feel that Enid's descriptions, vivid as they usually are, were taken from other people's writing, newspaper reports, photos, and maybe films of the day. The whole of the Adventure series comes across as very 'filmic' to me - even the last lines, and often a long distance shot as the adventure comes to an end. Just my feeling, of course - not sure how many films Enid went to see at the cinema, but I've always felt some of her ideas (such as the Mountain folk in Secret Mountain' come across as very much like the films and novels of her day, obviously painted with her imagination too. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member