Search for a Documentary

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
FarawayTree

Search for a Documentary

Post by FarawayTree »

Hi,
Hope this is the right place to put this.
I'm trying to track down a vaguely remembered documentary where Gillian Baverstock was interviewed and met up with the man who inspired Lucas.
It also featured old footage of boys from the school that inspired Mallory Towers jumping into the swimming pool.
I can't find it on imdb so any help would be appreciated - would love to see it again as it seemed a very fair and loving representation of Enid.
Many thanks.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Search for a Documentary

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, FarawayTree.

I believe the programme you're thinking of might be Homeground, filmed in 2002, but I'm afraid I don't know where to get hold of a copy. If I remember correctly, it was quite short and focussed on Dorset.

Sunny Stories - Bookmark (1992) also featured Gillian Baverstock, though I don't think the man who is said to have inspired Lucas (Gordon James, also known as Johnny James) was in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksuISbvAICI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Gillian Baverstock, also featured in the following Documentary - http://www.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b7febc32d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which was part of the Documentary series Secret Lives - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1723625/?ref_=ttep_ep_tt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
FarawayTree

Post by FarawayTree »

Thanks so much for your replies.

Homeground sounds about right - as I do remember now they did mention Dorset and something-or-other had been burned down by children.

Apologies for how vague I am - it's been so long since I saw it!
timv

Post by timv »

I remember watching the documentary which featured Enid's caddy Gordon 'Johnny' James; it was on ITV some time in 2003 and it was one of a series of local explorations of the South Coast featuring interviews of interesting characters. The title of the series was 'Homeground' as has been said, but I can't remember exactly when it was on; this episode was centred on Poole Harbour in Dorset. I seem to remember Mr James was interviewed on Studland Golf Course, which Enid used to own as well as use in the 1950s, on a hill overlooking Poole Harbour. There does not seem to be any trace of this programme on the internet, at least at a quick look; probably because it was only on the local ITV channel in Southampton not broadcast nationally

You can also pick up some details of local 'Blyton country' if you can find episodes of 'Autumnwatch' on the BBC from 2008, when Bill Oddie and Kate Humble were on Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour (aka 'Whispering Island'). Also this year's 2016 'Autumnwatch' when Chris Packham and co. were nearby on the Arne peninsula. The latter show was filmed on the Arne nature reserve, adjacent to Middlebere Heath - I think Enid probably borrowed the name 'Middlebere' for her 'Middlecombe Woods' where the Five camp in 'Five Get Into Trouble', as it is only a mile or two from Hartland Moor and four or so from Corfe. The layout and remoteness of M Heath and its winding lane is very similar to the scene in FGIT where the woods are miles away from any help when Dick is snatched in mistake for Richard Kent. There is only one isolated house here, as in the book, and going down the winding wooded lane to Arne reminds me strongly of Rooky chasing Richard along the road in his car.
Society Member