Greatest Londoners of all time

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Greatest Londoners of all time

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

KEVP wrote:I don't think being born in London should be a "top sign of a true Londoner". Someone who is born in London but spends their entire life somewhere else isn't going to be considered a "true Londoner". While someone who moves to London and lives there a long time and fully embraces London life and identity is much more of a "true Londoner".
I was thinking the same thing, KEVP.

Enid Blyton did live in London again as an adult, in a flat in Chelsea with her husband Hugh, but they only stayed there for 18 months. She went to London quite frequently for work-related matters and shopping though.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Katharine wrote:According to someone I was talking to the other day, a true Londoner never refers to the Underground as 'The Tube'.
Interesting to read the responses to my quote. Maybe it depends on which part of London people are from that influences the choice of 'tube' or 'underground'?
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I live just outside London and spend quite a lot of time there. I have always heard it referred to as The Tube. The London Evening Standard, the local newspaper always refers to it thus as does tfl.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Even growing up in Australia, I always knew very well that the London Underground was called the Tube!! 8)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Tube to me is a tube of Smarties! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The typical Londoner that I knew has almost disappeared. Today's typical Londoner is probably of African ancestory (yes, I know we all are before Courtenay points this out :wink: ). London is now so multi-cultural, that native Londoners (those whose great grandparents were Londoners) have moved away.
Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

London has always been a city of immigrants. It was built in the first place by immigrants from Rome. In any period of history the "typical Londoner" was an immigrant or child of immigrants.

Every new group of immigrants is resisted by the people already in London (especially the younger Londoners) but then with enough time each group becomes integrated into London, and everyone forgets they were immigrants. Then a whole new group of immigrants from another place arrives, and the whole story starts all over again.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Reminds me of an article I found a few months ago, KEVP: DNA study finds London was ethnically diverse from the start
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I wouldn't exactly call the Romans 'immigrants' in the usual sense of the world - they invaded and took over! :lol:

True though that London has always been ethnically diverse right from the start. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member