St. James's Church, Piccadilly

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

St. James's Church, Piccadilly

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

St. James's Church, Piccadilly, was where Enid Blyton's elder daughter Gillian Baverstock got married in August 1957 and where Enid Blyton's memorial service was held in January 1969.

Some people may remember a forums discussion about a photo of Enid taken at Gillian's wedding, which had a cheeky statue in the background. Here's the discussion, slightly shortened:
Poppy wrote:Me and my mum have just been looking through some pictures of the Enid Blyton exhibition on google images, excited that we are going back for another look soon. There was one lovely picture of Enid that came up, but unfortunately the background wasn't so nice... :| Take a look and see what you think...

Tony Summerfield wrote:... for Poppy's benefit I will say that the photo of Enid that she likes was taken at Gillian's wedding in 1957. I believe that I included a photo of the wedding in a recent Journal, which shows Enid in that outfit.
Daisy wrote:Looking at the picture, Poppy, I don't think anything in particular. The picture is familiar to me though. What strikes you about it?
Katharine wrote:No, I couldn't see anything particularly noteworthy about the photo either.
Poppy wrote:Look to the left of Enid. :lol:
Tony Summerfield wrote:I see what you mean, not really a wedding outfit!! :lol:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:More a birthday suit really! :lol:
Eddie Muir wrote:My thought too, Anita! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moonraker wrote:Isn't she wearing the Emperor's new clothes?
Well, Tony and I thought the statue was likely to be in the grounds of St. James's Church so we decided to try tracking it down on a day trip to London in September 2014 (I've been meaning to get these pictures up ever since then - sorry it took so long!) and we were delighted to find it almost immediately! We couldn't photograph it from exactly the same position because a market was set up in the churchyard, meaning the statue couldn't be viewed from all angles, but here it is:

And here's Tony with the statue in the background:

Other statues and monuments in the churchyard:

This is supposed to be Jesus but it looks more like D. H. Lawrence to me!:

Inside the church. Some pews are reserved for homeless people to sleep on at certain times.

In Piccadilly:

"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Re: St. James's Church, Piccadilly

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think I need to add Gillian's wedding photo to this as you can see the statues behind the group.

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

That's great, Tony!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Great photos.

Is Imogen one of the bridesmaids?
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Wow i have been to that church several times and browsed around the market and never realised that those events took place there. I truly learn new things all the time by being a Blyton fan. Thanks Anita I will revisit the church next time I'm in London.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Wow — great photos, Anita, and thanks for Gillian's wedding photo too, Tony! I haven't been to St James's, so I'll have to look out for it when I'm in London some time.

Where abouts was Enid buried, by the way — is there a grave or memorial for her somewhere? I feel like I should know that, but I don't know that I've ever heard before.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Very interesting photos, Anita. And thanks to Tony for posting the wedding photo. How sharp it is.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Courtenay wrote:Where abouts was Enid buried, by the way — is there a grave or memorial for her somewhere? I feel like I should know that, but I don't know that I've ever heard before.
She was cremated and I'm pretty sure there is no grave or memorial. Anita or Tony will be able to confirm or deny that but I think I'm right.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Had a feeling that might be the case, or else we'd all be making pilgrimages! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great photos, Anita and Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Lovely photos, Anita and Tony.

I've seen the wedding photo in one of my books. Isn't the hearing aid in Kenneth's ear very noticeable. Has anyone else noticed it?

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Yes, Julie, it is noticeable, I agree. A lovely photo though.... looking at the bridesmaids I am wondering if Imogen is one of them... surely she would be?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Wonderfully iconic photos and details - thank you so much Tony and Anita. We are so lucky to have you both looking for information on Enid.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the comments on the photos.
Lucky Star wrote:Wow i have been to that church several times and browsed around the market and never realised that those events took place there.
I had also been to that market a couple of times in the past without realising that the church had any connection to Enid Blyton.
Lucky Star wrote:
Courtenay wrote:Where abouts was Enid buried, by the way — is there a grave or memorial for her somewhere? I feel like I should know that, but I don't know that I've ever heard before.
She was cremated and I'm pretty sure there is no grave or memorial. Anita or Tony will be able to confirm or deny that but I think I'm right.
You're right that there's no grave or memorial. Though Enid's books are perhaps the best memorial!
Katharine wrote:Is Imogen one of the bridesmaids?
I was thinking about that too. Unfortunately, the face of the bridesmaid on the far right is partially obscured but I was wondering if she might be Imogen. I'm far from certain though.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Lucky Star wrote:
Courtenay wrote:Where abouts was Enid buried, by the way — is there a grave or memorial for her somewhere?
You're right that there's no grave or memorial. Though Enid's books are perhaps the best memorial!
I can vouch for that as Jane and I spent hours looking for it! Good photos although I couldn't see any statues in Tony's photo. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place...
Society Member