St. James's Church, Piccadilly

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: St. James's Church, Piccadilly

Post by Daisy »

Moonraker wrote:I can vouch for that as Jane and I spent hours looking for it! Good photos although I couldn't see any statues in Tony's photo. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place...
The statue is partially obscured by the greenery I think.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

We know that Enid liked a mystery, and there is a big mystery as to where she was cremated. Over the past two or three years I have had several phone calls from Golders Green Crematorium about this, as they get visitors from all over the world enquiring about Enid Blyton as it has always been believed that she was cremated there. They keep comprehensive records of all cremations (though the information for some is not publicly available), but they have been through their records with a tooth comb and there is no record of Enid being cremated there. Furthermore they have checked with other London crematoria (?) and none has been able to help. Just to add to the mystery they have labels that they stick on urns to make sure that people get the right ashes and they have found an unused label for Enid Blyton.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The plot :roll: thickens!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Golly, I always thought Enid's ashes were at Golders Green, Imogen must have gone to the funeral perhaps she can shed some light on the mystery.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Very mysterious indeed. I would think that Imogen would probably be the only person left who could supply the answer. On a brighter note I am delighted to hear that people from all over the world come to Golders Green to inquire about Enid.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

No, her ashes certainly aren't at Golders Green, they were scattered elsewhere, but I am not entirely sure who by. I believe it is possible that her ashes were scattered in two different places. I know this is sometimes done as I did so myself with my grandmother, half went on a place that she loved just outside Salisbury and the other half were taken by a friend and scattered on her husband's grave in Borneo. She had a bit of a problem taking them through customs!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, it was at Golders Green that Jane and I spent considerable time searching. We later found an official who confirmed that they didn't have Enid's ashes on the site. Should have spoken to Tony first!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Daisy wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Good photos although I couldn't see any statues in Tony's photo. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place...
The statue is partially obscured by the greenery I think.
The statue is over on the right but it's hard to see as it blends into the caravan.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The statue is over on the right but it's hard to see as it blends into the caravan.
I still can't see it myself!
Daisy wrote:The plot :roll: thickens!
:lol: :lol: Really though, that IS enigmatic... so we don't even know where the actual cremation took place, let alone where her ashes were scattered afterwards?

Now I'm wondering — was it Enid's own decision not to have a marked grave or any kind of memorial for herself, or was it her family's decision? Does anyone know? I'd just be interested to find out.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Courtenay wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:The statue is over on the right but it's hard to see as it blends into the caravan.
I still can't see it myself!
Well, it's not that exciting as it's only the same statue as in the previous two pictures. If you look at the top right of the caravan you'll see where the roof curves down (it looks black). Below that are some leafy branches. Below the branches is the statue!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Hmmm.

No grave or memorial stone for Enid. No record of her remains ever having been cremated. Maybe she faked her death. Maybe in fact she found the magic potion of immortality, the potion that her characters used to prevent them from aging.

(No, I don't believe that. I am just being imaginative.)

KEVP
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Very intriguing that 'no one' seems to know where Enid was cremated or scattered. I'm sure someone must!

Maybe Enid is indeed still alive - a 'ghost writer' for JK Rowling. ;-)

:lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I do know where she was scattered, though not the precise location which is why I can't go into any more detail.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I'm sure her family know although they probably regard the information as private. Which is entirely understandable. As Anita said earlier her books are her memorial.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Stunning photographs! Coincidentally my grandmother and grandfather were married there in 1924!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.