Times are a changing - Enid Blyton in 50 greatest Britons

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Times are a changing - Enid Blyton in 50 greatest Britons

Post by Aussie Sue »

After years of criticism, times are a changing, we are not out of step with society being such strong Enid Blyton enthusiasts.

Enid Blyton has made the 50 greatest Britons list.

I've always believed Enid Blyton has, and does, improve the lives of millions of children/people around the world and deserves recognition and on-going praise for this. I was very excited to see her being recognised at last in this list.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/50 ... ls-6495706" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers
Sue
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Times are a changing - Enid Blyton in 50 greatest Briton

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Aussie Sue wrote:I've always believed Enid Blyton has, and does, improve the lives of millions of children/people around the world and deserves recognition and on-going praise for this. I was very excited to see her being recognised at last in this list.
I feel exactly the same, Sue! :D Just last night my son and I were talking about how, decades after her death, Enid Blyton's books remain a positive influence on children. Long may that continue!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Who is number one, Florence Nightingale? Never heard of her. Googel, mmmm: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Nightingale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Mmmm: "Die Evangelische Kirche in Deutschland ehrt Florence Nightingale mit einem Gedenktag im Evangelischen Namenkalender am 14. August. Ihr Gedenktag für die Evangelisch-Lutherische Kirche in Amerika und für die anglikanische Kirche ist ihr Todestag, der 13. August." Ok, nice person. :-) Strange list, Enid should be higher. :-)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I haven't looked at the list, but Florence Nightingale was inspirational social reformer and was the founder of modern nursing, for which the world has benefited beyond comparison.

Enid Blyton wrote 700+ books for children and inspired countless children to read and enjoy books.

I think Florence just has the edge!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've heard of most of those on the list, and would agree most of them are deserving. But I'm impressed that at 20th, Enid has made the top 50% — above Queen Victoria, Beatrix Potter and Jane Austen! 8)
Last edited by Courtenay on 26 Sep 2015, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

A very interesting list and a lot more well balanced than I was expecting.

Soenke, I was interested to see that you hadn't heard of Florence Nightingale. I appreciate that she's British, but I would have thought that her contribution to current nursing would have been touched upon in other countries. Or maybe they have different ways of nursing to us?
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Enid Blyton was a major influence on me since early childhood and I'm very pleased she is so high on the list. Lists of this kind always court controversy as people are missing whom we feel should be included but it appears to be a fairly-well balanced list to me.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

John Pickup wrote:Enid Blyton was a major influence on me since early childhood
Oh, for me, too. I still often think of things she had written and her moral code when I make certain decisions. She is probably only second to Jesus Christ in helping to form my morals - and of course, my mother is a forerunner too!
Incidentally, I am not particularly religious, in case you're wondering. However, the New Testament teachings played an important part of my life as a child and chorister - teachings which remain with me always.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Blyton at number 20? That's a lot better than I would have expected. Especially coming from a traditionally left wing newspaper. But how on earth were Enid and the likes of Queen Victoria beaten by Mo Farah???? :?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I too would have scrubbed a few of the sports people, and some of the royals as well. My list would probably have included C. S. Lewis, Alan Turing, William Caxton and Alfred the Great. But as John Pickup said, lists of this kind are inevitably controversial. I doubt two people would come up with the same 50 names.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

If Enid had been a black immigrant fleeing from a tumultuous country, she would be at number 1.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Florence Nightingale wasn't a black immigrant fleeing a tumultuous country and she made number 1, so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, Nigel. :|
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Courtenay wrote:Florence Nightingale wasn't a black immigrant fleeing a tumultuous country and she made number 1, so I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, Nigel. :|
But how on earth were Enid and the likes of Queen Victoria beaten by Mo Farah????
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

John Pickup wrote:Enid Blyton was a major influence on me since early childhood and I'm very pleased she is so high on the list. Lists of this kind always court controversy as people are missing whom we feel should be included but it appears to be a fairly-well balanced list to me.
I'm in agreement with you, John. Enid Blyton has been major influence on me since early childhood and I'm delighted to see her high placing in the 50 Greatest Britons. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Lucky Star wrote:But how on earth were Enid and the likes of Queen Victoria beaten by Mo Farah???? :?
He ran faster than they did. :mrgreen: :wink:

Seriously, I don't know — I would question some of the placings on the list as well, but I guess just about everyone would. It's only the Daily Mirror, after all, nothing conclusive or authoritative. :P
Last edited by Courtenay on 29 Sep 2015, 13:20, edited 2 times in total.
Society Member