Enid Blyton - A Life Told In Plaques

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Enid Blyton - A Life Told In Plaques

Post by pete9012S »

Children’s author Enid Blyton died in 1968. Being such a popular writer, it’s no surprise to learn that she has no less than four blue plaques to commemorate her life.

She was born on August 11th, 1897, and there’s a plaque to mark the spot on the family home she was born it, at 354 Lordship Lane in East Dulwich. This plaque was erected by the Southwark council, as voted for by local people....
http://blog.openplaques.org/tag/enid-blyton/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there a Blue Plaque at Old Thatch?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Enid Blyton - A Life Told In Plaques

Post by Fiona1986 »

No, there isn't. I was just thinking about that the other day, actually.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

That plaque on Enid's birthplace seems a bit useless! It's great there is a plaque, but I'm surprised it only has Enid's birth and death date, rather than explaining she was born there and how long she lived there. :?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I saw the plaque at 354 Lordship Lane in East Dulwich a couple of weeks ago when I had to take my son to London for something. The building is not very exciting as the plaque is above a DIY shop and the original building was destroyed in the Second World War, but you can see what it would have looked like from neighbouring buildings.

I then visited the nearby Horniman Museum (in Forest Hill), which is eclectic and very tranquil. Has anyone else been there? It's a lovely building with galleries and polished wood. The museum was started by Frederick John Horniman, who belonged to a rich tea-trading family. He collected all sorts of things - stuffed animals, musical instruments, African masks, fossils, shells... When the collection became too big for his house, he bought the house next door. When his collection grew yet bigger, he knocked down his house and erected the current museum building (which opened in 1901). There are all sorts of things on display, from a stuffed walrus to a tin cello. There's also an aquarium, and a small "zoo" in the grounds - alpacas, goats, rabbits, etc. Plenty there for all ages, and entry is free (with a small charge for the aquarium).

A few days later I combined a hospital appointment with another trip to Dulwich - this time West Dulwich, where I walked round two parks (Belair Park and Dulwich Park) and then went to the Dulwich Picture Gallery. West Dulwich is a leafy area with some attractive buildings and I enjoyed my day of exploration.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member