The Enid Blyton Story - Bob Mullan

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

The Enid Blyton Story - Bob Mullan

Post by pete9012S »

I've just bought this book for the princely sum of £3.45.
I may have read it from the library when it first came out ,but I can't remember it at all.

Does anybody have it? What can I expect?

It's available on amazon at reasonable rates too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... d&qid=&sr=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't know much about Bob Mullan.Found a little biog about him here:

Bob Mullan
Director / Writer

Gizmo Films was founded by Robert Mullan, a well-known and critically acclaimed author, screenwriter and director. Bob has produced over 40 documentary films for Channel 4, BBC 2, Discovery, Vision TV, and ZDF, including both the award-winning The Man Under the Sea, which follows the last few months in the life of Norwegian writer, Axel Jensen and Bhagwan: My Dance is Complete, a unique glimpse inside the ashram of the late Indian guru, Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh. He’s the author of 21 non-fiction books, including Mad to be Normal, Voices of Pain, Consuming Television, Zoo Culture, Therapists on Therapy, The Enid Blyton Story, and R.D.Laing: A Personal View and has a variety of completed feature scripts for film and television.
http://gizmofilms.com/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: The Enid Blyton Story-Bob Mullen

Post by Poppy »

Yes, I've got a copy of this book. I've read it a couple of times but I can't actually remember much about it, expect that it contains quite a lot of nice artwork. It is separated into chapters which talk about different genres of Enid's writing, involving a lot of quotes and some colour illustrations of original front covers, etc. It also deals with a few aspects of Enid's own life including her childhood and marriage, but the book mainly focuses on her writing. It is a really interesting book and it is definitely worth a read. I hope you enjoy it Pete.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
pete9012S

Re: The Enid Blyton Story - Bob Mullan

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Poppy.Sounds like I haven't wasted my £3.45.
I suppose it must have cost more than that around 1987 when it first came out!

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I own a copy and it's certainly a nice book to have in your collection. It has some great photos and pictures, although many have been reproduced in better quality elsewhere, and many books are represented only by their modern (at the time the book was printed - 1987) paperback cover designs. Its text borrows heavily from Barbara Stoney and Sheila Ray, and particularly Ray, as she is quoted quite often.

My one overriding memory of this book, as I haven't read it for quite a few years, is that generally it is fairly negative, picking holes in a way that seemed to be popular at the time - the racist, classist, sexist arguments, most of which the author seems to go along with and supports - for example, he talks about Enid's 'obvious sexism' and her 'undeviating allegiance to middle-class values' and states that she is 'disparaging about the working classes and foreigners' (page 79) - none of which I agree with. He tries to present a balanced view, but in the end it's very much a book of its time, and tends to go along with the criticisms being levelled at her during the 1970's and 80's.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I have a copy of this too and haven't looked at it for several years, but would agree with Robert's assessment. It is an attractive looking book though.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks for the overview Rob & Daisy.I've spent more than £3.45 on some carrot cakes so it doesn't sound as if I have been overcharged for this book! :D

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

This book has a chequered past as I know there was a major falling out between Bob Mullan and Darrell Waters, which I guess was something to do with copyright. The result was that DW destroyed all their copies of the book that they received from the publishers.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

pete9012S wrote:Thanks for the overview Rob & Daisy.I've spent more than £3.45 on some carrot cakes so it doesn't sound as if I have been overcharged for this book! :D
You certainly haven't! I paid £25 for my first edition copy at an Enid Blyton Day! :shock:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've got a copy but I've never read it. I also can't remember how I got it. Probably a gift as I don't recall buying it :?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Robert Houghton wrote:Its text borrows heavily from Barbara Stoney and Sheila Ray, and particularly Ray, as she is quoted quite often.
... generally it is fairly negative, picking holes in a way that seemed to be popular at the time - the racist, classist, sexist arguments, most of which the author seems to go along with and supports - for example, he talks about Enid's 'obvious sexism' and her 'undeviating allegiance to middle-class values' and states that she is 'disparaging about the working classes and foreigners' (page 79) - none of which I agree with. He tries to present a balanced view, but in the end it's very much a book of its time, and tends to go along with the criticisms being levelled at her during the 1970's and 80's.
Doesn't sound worth bothering with to me, especially as those arguments are still pretty popular. :?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)