Enid Blyton's Workbooks

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Tony Summerfield

Enid Blyton's Workbooks

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Split from another topic.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:I seem to remember reading somewhere that Enid Blyton was planning a 16th Secret Seven book called Good Luck, Secret Seven before she became too ill to carry on writing. I'm not sure whether I've got that right though!
You have got the title of the proposed 16th Secret Seven book right, Anita!

In 1964 when her memory was starting to fade, Enid kept a very comprehensive notebook to remind her of things she had to do. It is a hardback book about the size of an Award Reward book and as this was effectively her final year of writing anything it is crammed with useful information about what was done and what wasn't done.

I don't think I have shown any pages from this book before, but I am doing so here as it confirms the proposed title of the Secret Seven book. It also confirms that there were to be no more Famous Five books, but she had written and sent off Mary Mouse and the Little Donkey, the final Mary Mouse strip book.

Elsewhere it also confirms that she sent off two religious books to Lutterworth and she was also sending Noddy stuff to Kellogg's to go on the back of Ricicles packets. Many entries were repeated constantly throughout the book, and she was still saying 'MUST write Secret Seven Book' in September. It also confirms that Noddy Library Book No 25, Noddy Goes to the Moon, never got written.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this image as few may see it, but as it is relevant to the last post I thought this was the best place.

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Secret Seven Win Through

Post by Daisy »

Thanks for showing us this Tony. It seems to me she was beginning to struggle and was desperately trying to keep up with all the demands still on her.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Wow, that is so interesting, Tony. I've tried to read it and read it, but some of the words, do baffle me a bit.

What a treasure trove the Cave is. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

That's really fascinating, Tony. Its amazing she made such detailed notes. Sad to see that she knew she had to due to her failing memory. It would be so interesting to have this notebook published (not meaning you should do it, lol !) - but historically for Blyton fans I think it would be very interesting! . :-)

It shows how similar most of the Secret Seven titles are, as I would have presumed Good Luck Secret Seven was indeed a published title if it hadn't been pointed out that it wasn't!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It runs to 73 pages, Rob, all crammed with information!! Some of it is almost manic and there are also little bits about remembering to plant bulbs and family birthdays. There are some quite interesting pages along with the multiple repetitions and I might scan on or two more pages, but possibly this is not the right thread to put them in.

If you want any of it 'translated', Julie, I can read it all easily.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I usually find Enid's writing relatively easy to read but can see the deterioration in her writing, and the fact it was just rough notes of course and not meant to be read by anyone but herself. I can pick out most words - but agree with Julie that some of it is a struggle!

I find this really fascinating and even the parts about planting bulbs and family birthdays - a really interesting insight into Enid's life at the time and her struggles with her failing memory. Its quite sad in some ways to read her statement that 'Hodders would be delighted!' if she went ahead and produced another Famous Five. I guess they would have been...or maybe they were just humouring her, given what Together Again was like! It maybe gives an insight into the fact Enid was trying to please everyone and fighting against her own health. I often feel she was living on her reputation by this point, believing she could do no wrong and compelled to continue because of her readers and fans, even though she wanted to stop. You can tell from these notes that she probably didn't understand her failing memory and was frustrated by it. Quite sad.

It would be interesting to see more but I know it means more work for you Tony - but thanks for suggesting you may scan some more pages sometime. Maybe it could become a regular Journal feature...or a thread like the teachers world thread...

8)

By the way - I was wondering - what does 'O.P' stand for, as in Children of Happy House O.P? :?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Interesting to see that page but quite poignant too. Thanks for sharing Tony.

Rob, O.P. stands for Out of Print.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That's kind of you Tony, but I do know how busy you are, and would not like to put you to any trouble.

:)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Very interesting. Thank you so much, Tony. I would like to read her diaries if the publisher publishes her diaries. :D

The strange thing is, Stephen has read the book(Good Luck Secret Seven) even before Enid had written it! :lol:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Like Rob, I thought some pages would make interesting reading in the Journal... with printed translation, although I can decipher all she wrote on the page we have seen. It's somehow sad to see how she addresses herself in the notes - but nevertheless most interesting to have the book Tony.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I manage to decipher most of the words. They are very interesting to read. A sign that I am a hardcore fan of Enid Blyton. :lol:

Her writings are still legible if compared to Agatha's handwritings. Now that's challenging. :lol:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The writing is fascinating me, and so far I'm struggling with section 4, what is the wording beginning with str...

Section 5 reads about something before going away.

Section 6 looks like the S.S book

and section 7 is that about an annual?

I keep reading buy just can't get around those few sections.

8)

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I don't know why I feel very excited reading Enid's handwritings about her works as an author and day-to-day activities. Reading all her plans to write new books. I feel like I want to read and know more about her as a person and as an author. :D

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Kate Mary wrote:Interesting to see that page but quite poignant too. Thanks for sharing Tony.

Rob, O.P. stands for Out of Print.
Thanks Kate Mary. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:The writing is fascinating me, and so far I'm struggling with section 4, what is the wording beginning with str...

Section 5 reads about something before going away.

Section 6 looks like the S.S book

and section 7 is that about an annual?

I keep reading buy just can't get around those few sections.

8)
I think section 4 says ' see page 29 for particulars about stories you have in stock...'

5 says 'Can you do mary mouse book before going away. Try.'

6 says MUST do Good Luck Secret Seven and new Mary Mouse book when you return from Studland, [not sure of this word - the publisher?] is asking/gasping?! for them. (Mary mouse book done)
Ewart is gasping for them - pretty good otherwise Rob 10/10! Ewart Roker was the managing editor at Brockhampton.

7 says 'don't forget that your magazine annuals have been released to you and you can use stories again' (I think!)

:-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member