Enid Blyton's Workbooks

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Enid Blyton's Workbooks

Post by Courtenay »

Robert Houghton wrote: Very enjoyable story though - except I hate to think how I would have felt if my parents had sent me to boarding school at 7! :-(
Well, it used to happen in real life - I know a British lady who was born in Calcutta and shipped off to England for boarding school at just about that age. As you can imagine, she HATED it.

I liked the way Enid got the moral across - it would have been better for Timothy to have told the truth in the first place, and he wouldn't have been made to get rid of his mouse after all if he did - while portraying him with such sympathy that we can understand very well why he chooses to do what he does. As an author, she nearly always manages to make a good moral point without being rigidly black-and-white or too heavy-handed about it, which is one aspect of her writing style that I've always appreciated.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much, Tony for uploading the story and more entries in the diaries. The only way we could read obscure stories from 'Sunny Stories For Little Folks' is when you upload them in The Cave. Keep them coming! :D

We can see that Enid was a meticulous person judging from the entries. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Courtenay wrote:As an author, she nearly always manages to make a good moral point without being rigidly black-and-white or too heavy-handed about it, which is one aspect of her writing style that I've always appreciated.
Agreed. My exact opinion as well. This is one aspect of her writing that I like so much other than the exciting way she tells her stories. :D

But she tends to repeat her stories. The same plots/ the same morals but with different name of the characters. I have been reading Award short stories collection since May. There are 72 books in total. Each book contains 15-18 short stories. I can see a pattern/formula in her short stories. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

True, but I could imagine if I'd written so many thousands of individual short stories over some four decades, I'd have trouble avoiding them becoming a bit repetitive too! :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I, too, enjoyed Timothy's Tame Mouse, although I realised early on that the man in the train was a teacher. I hope that Timothy remembered to apologise to his friend Robin after accusing him of hiding the mouse.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

sixret wrote:
Courtenay wrote:As an author, she nearly always manages to make a good moral point without being rigidly black-and-white or too heavy-handed about it, which is one aspect of her writing style that I've always appreciated.
Agreed. My exact opinion as well. This is one aspect of her writing that I like so much other than the exciting way she tells her stories. :D

But she tends to repeat her stories. The same plots/ the same morals but with different name of the characters. I have been reading Award short stories collection since May. There are 72 books in total. Each book contains 15-18 short stories. I can see a pattern/formula in her short stories. :D
In a way it's an achievement that she actually repeated exact plots very rarely. There may be elements of the same plot, but often with slightly different outcomes, characters, or situations. Given how many short stories she wrote, I think it's amazing how varied they all are. For example, Timothy's Tame Mouse has a very similar basic plot to a story for older children in Enid Blyton's Treasury - 'The Cheat' in that it's set in a school, and the main character takes things into their own hands in order to have something they badly want, only to be proved wrong - but the two are also totally different stories written in entirely different ways.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Enjoyable stories, fun to read. Terms like "stockings" (for boys) and "drill-master" in 'Timothy's Tame Mouse' remind us just how early these tales are. Thanks, Tony - and David Chambers.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Going back to the top of page 2 in this thread to the 'book that never was', Once Upon a Time, you will see that Enid sent the stories to Ewing in August 1944. There were many loose pages tucked into this workbook and opposite this particular page was a letter replying to Enid from Hayland Ewing in October 1944. He also sent separate lists of the proposed stories for both books mentioned which explains why Enid crossed out 4 stories from her original list of 25. The fact that Enid has ticked the stories on the list below meant that she would never send them to any publisher again, which explains why apart from the few that were used in a later National Magazine Co, book, The Good Morning Book, most of them have remained uncollected. One can only guess why Once Upon a Time was never published, perhaps they ran out of paper, a constant problem with rationing in the war years.

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

interesting list of stories! I see that a few of these eventually featured in 'The Good Morning Book' 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

There are some great titles in that list; Giant Limber Lumber, The Pixies who forgot their corkscrew, The Donkey Well etc. I must look out for a copy of The Good Morning Book and please may we have some of the uncollected stories in future Journals?
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I don't actually have any of these stories myself other than the two that David Chambers kindly sent me, I would like to know 'How Peter Caught a Poacher'!

I do have a nice uncollected story in mind for the next Journal though!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I do have a nice uncollected story in mind for the next Journal though!
Tony whets our appetite and we now have ages to wait! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'd like to hear all about 'The Little Sootie Boys'!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Tony Summerfield wrote:I do have a nice uncollected story in mind for the next Journal though!
Tony whets our appetite and we now have ages to wait! :lol:
Don't encourage him, Julie. Just say, "Whatever!"
Society Member