Old Thatch Gardens

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Old Thatch Gardens

Post by Tony Summerfield »

The dates that I have got at the moment for Plymouth are June 13th to August 13th, but I was sent these in the middle of July so I am not sure if they are set in stone yet!
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

John Pickup wrote:I hope to be holidaying in Devon next July so Plymouth would be ideal for me if the display coincides.
John - we could walk there, leave your car at mine like you did before, it's only a few miles' walk to Plymouth, and I know you enjoyed this year's walk in the nice sunshine so much, next year we could take a picnic with us and everything ;) ;) :lol:
I've had a look at the route on Google Maps and it reckons about 14 hours give or take a bit (probably allowing for stopping for blisters, adjusting of heavy backpacks, collapsing, etc etc) if we go along the A38, so if we set off the day before we should make it in plenty of time.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The Enid Blyton Exhibition will be at the Canterbury Beaney from January 17th to April 19th 2015. It should then be going to Plymouth City Museum sometime in June, but I don't think we have precise dates for that yet.
Tony Summerfield wrote:The dates that I have got at the moment for Plymouth are June 13th to August 13th, but I was sent these in the middle of July so I am not sure if they are set in stone yet!

Thanks, Anita and Tony
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:I'll go for Canterbury as it's in the county where I live - 40 miles as opposed to 240!! :lol: (Much though I'd love to see more of Devon.)

Courtenay, when you'll explore Devon, don't miss going to the most beautiful and spectacular beach in the UK IMHO, Wonwell Beach near Kingsbridge, south of Bigbury-by-the-Sea and Burgh Island. Bring your camera.
Burgh Island inspired Agatha Christie to write "And then there were None" and "Evil Under The Sun". At low tide you can walk over from the small village of Bigbury, at high tide the sea tractor will be used.
I took my husband in August 2008 to Wonwell Beach and he was literally blown away...they don't have such beautiful and idyllic beaches in the US.
Another tip: the small coastal town of Salcombe is very lovely. And then there's Exmoor with it's wild ponies and somewhere in Exmoor, there is a famous hotel where Agatha Christie wrote her first (or one of her first) novel(s). Nigel probably knows which one I'm talking about.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks, Chrissie! I'm sure I'll get to Devon one day, but being very attached to Cornwall already (my ancestors were Cornish on my father's side), it probably wouldn't be long before I drifted west over the Tamar! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Carlotta King wrote:
John Pickup wrote:I hope to be holidaying in Devon next July so Plymouth would be ideal for me if the display coincides.
John - we could walk there, leave your car at mine like you did before, it's only a few miles' walk to Plymouth, and I know you enjoyed this year's walk in the nice sunshine so much, next year we could take a picnic with us and everything ;) ;) :lol:
I've had a look at the route on Google Maps and it reckons about 14 hours give or take a bit (probably allowing for stopping for blisters, adjusting of heavy backpacks, collapsing, etc etc) if we go along the A38, so if we set off the day before we should make it in plenty of time.
I've got a better idea, Cathy. I'll drive there while you and Erika ignore me in the back. :D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Or you could go by train to Plymouth John. It's a lovely journey from Exeter, following the coast, that is of course, if the weather doesn't wash away the railway line again!!! :|

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

So forumites will be divided into 2 groups now... :cry:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Or you could go by train to Plymouth John. It's a lovely journey from Exeter, following the coast, that is of course, if the weather doesn't wash away the railway line again!!! :|

8)
That is a good idea, Julie. I've travelled on the line along the sea wall at Dawlish a few times. I shall have to let you know when our holiday dates are finalised.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Or you could go by train to Plymouth John. It's a lovely journey from Exeter, following the coast, that is of course, if the weather doesn't wash away the railway line again!!! :|
Lest we forget - one of my favourite-ever entries in the Caption Competition... :D

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The film company regretted locating the remake of The Railway Children in Dawlish.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)