Old Thatch Gardens

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Tony Summerfield

Old Thatch Gardens

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Dear Tony,

Old Thatch Gardens

Just to let you know that we have permanently closed Old Thatch Gardens to the public.

Thank you for the support of The Enid Blyton Society during our hugely successful and enjoyable eleven years!

Kind regards
Jacky
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Old Thatch Gardens

Post by Daisy »

Oh that is a shame, but nice of them to send a note of appreciation. I'm so glad I have had the opportunity of visiting there twice.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

As you say it is a shame, Daisy. :cry: I'm glad that I was able to visit the wonderful gardens on a number of occasions over the past few years.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That is a pity, though I'm glad I had the chance to visit the gardens several times. They were peaceful and beautiful and I'm left with some very happy memories. Jacky and David were always most hospitable and full of interesting information.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Such a shame, but feel lucky to have been and seen the wonderful creation Jacky achieved!

I have my pictures though, and that shall get me through!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I'm sorry I never got to visit - if only I'd been available for the Society day last year... :cry:

I gather Old Thatch is privately owned, then? I'm imagining it would be lovely if it could be acquired by the National Trust and turned into a Blyton-related museum - they already own the homes of a number of famous people, such as Beatrix Potter, Rudyard Kipling and Winston Churchill. Or is there some sort of museum (or at least tribute) on the site there already? I'd be interested to hear from someone who's been there.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Courtenay,

If you head over to the World of Blyton Blog, we have lots of reviews about Old Thatch and the surrounding area!

Tony: May I share this thread with the blog readers on Monday when I do the blog post?
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Beautiful blog posts and photos, Stef (and Fiona if you're around)! Such a shame they aren't taking visitors any more. :(

Could someone possibly explain to me who owns Old Thatch currently and why the decision was made to close it (if that's known)? I'm still quite new to the Society and knew very little about Enid's personal life and places where she lived before I found this website.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Old Thatch is owned privately by Jacky and David Hawthorne, who run a landscape-gardening business. For the last eleven years they've opened the gardens of Old Thatch to the public a couple of days a week, in the spring and summer, as part of the National Gardens Scheme (which encourages people to open their gardens to the public to raise money for charity).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Ah, I see (we have a similar Open Gardens Scheme in Australia). Have they attempted to recreate the gardens as Enid would have known them, or have the gardens changed substantially over the years?
Society Member

Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Yes I'm around so thanks Courtenay. Very sad to see that Old Thatch is closed but I'm glad to have been the three times that I have.

The garden was very overgrown when Jackie and David bought the house so it was hard for them to know what was and wasn't there originally. Blyton's well, pond and arbour and fountain are still there but the bowling green is no longer and much of the landscaping has changed.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Its such a beautiful setting and garden - so sorry that I will never see them again. Enid seems to come
alive again in the lovely tea area where I met and talked to so many of you over the past couple of years.
The owners were so welcoming and charming and have done such a fantastic job on restoring and developing the gardens. Will have to stick to visiting the pub and walking round Bourne End.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

What a pity. I wonder whether something bad has happened? I was hoping to get there in 2015.
Society Member
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

Did they give any reason why they closed the gardens?
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

This is really sad news. I love visiting Old Thatch. It's the nearest thing we can all get to Enid Blyton, especially as Green Hedges is no longer standing.

I too am interested to know why they have made this decision. I'm wondering whether or not they are putting Old Thatch up for sale, maybe! :?

It least I was able to visit Old Thatch Gardens on a number of occasions, and I'm really glad I did this. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member