Old Thatch Gardens

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Old Thatch Gardens

Post by Chrissie777 »

walter raleigh wrote:I would definitely like to meet up with some of the other forum members in either Canterbury or Plymouth. Can you keep me posted when dates and venue have been decided.
Another nice avatar change :).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Chrissie777 wrote: Such a cute new avatar, Courtenay :)!
Thanks, Chrissie. It's an Aussie Christmas possum! A ringtail possum, to be exact. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Very cute little animal. Is that one of your pets?
I once watched a ringtail cat on TV. They look very different from regular cats. It was beautiful.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh no, we don't keep them as pets - they're wild animals. Even so, they happily live close to human habitation. Their cousins, the brushtail possums, are bigger and bolder and known for nesting in people's roofs and making a lot of noise as they run over the roof at night! :lol: There are lots of different possum species in Australia and nearby islands - they range from shorter than your finger to cat-sized or larger. They're all marsupials, meaning the mother carries her young in a pouch (like kangaroos do).

I did once rescue two baby ringtails that I found in the park near my place in Melbourne some years ago. They were sitting curled up on the ground close together, nowhere near any trees, and I couldn't see any sign of where they might have come from or where their parents were (they live in family groups in a nest). They were very exposed there on the grass - a dog could easily have caught them - so I ran back home to grab a cardboard box and a towel to throw over it, then came back and picked up the two possums. They were gorgeous little things - tried to climb up my arms, which would have been hilarious fun if this hadn't been a serious situation! :lol: - but eventually I got them both into the box and under the towel, and carried them home. I called a wildlife rescue centre and they sent a man around to take the possums back there, where they were looking after several orphaned possums until they were old enough to be released back into the wild.

Anyway, I'll stop taking the thread off topic (especially as I'm pretty sure Enid never had possums in her garden at Old Thatch)! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I'm glad that I managed to spend an afternoon there. It is a lovely place and it was one of the highlights of my trip. Being aware of the history of the place made it feel special as well.
A pity it won't be opening next May but it is a private home.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:I did once rescue two baby ringtails that I found in the park near my place in Melbourne some years ago. They were sitting curled up on the ground close together, nowhere near any trees, and I couldn't see any sign of where they might have come from or where their parents were (they live in family groups in a nest). They were very exposed there on the grass - a dog could easily have caught them - so I ran back home to grab a cardboard box and a towel to throw over it, then came back and picked up the two possums. They were gorgeous little things - tried to climb up my arms, which would have been hilarious fun if this hadn't been a serious situation! :lol: - but eventually I got them both into the box and under the towel, and carried them home. I called a wildlife rescue centre and they sent a man around to take the possums back there, where they were looking after several orphaned possums until they were old enough to be released back into the wild.

What a lovely rescue story, Courtenay. Thanks for sharing this :).
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

walter raleigh wrote:I would definitely like to meet up with some of the other forum members in either Canterbury or Plymouth. Can you keep me posted when dates and venue have been decided.
Do we have details of dates and locations for the Canterbury and Plymouth displays? I (and I hope many others) would like to make it to at least one. Thanks
Jack
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I hope to be holidaying in Devon next July so Plymouth would be ideal for me if the display coincides.
Society Member
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

Julie - I would opt for Plymouth as well as I could travel by train from Taunton when in Somerset. It would be great to opt for a Saturday to meet up and no doubt another visit could be arranged in Canterbury.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I'll go for Canterbury as it's in the county where I live - 40 miles as opposed to 240!! :lol: (Much though I'd love to see more of Devon.)
Society Member

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Jack400 wrote:Do we have details of dates and locations for the Canterbury and Plymouth displays? I (and I hope many others) would like to make it to at least one. Thanks
Jack
The Enid Blyton Exhibition will be at the Canterbury Beaney from January 17th to April 19th 2015. It should then be going to Plymouth City Museum sometime in June, but I don't think we have precise dates for that yet.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Perhaps we should move these last several posts to a new thread (in the Enid Blyton Days forum) - specifically titled something like "Enid Blyton Exhibition 2015" - and discuss it properly there? It sounds like there's quite a lot of interest, and we would need to figure out which dates suit the most people for each location, for a start. I would love to meet some fellow Society members there! :D
Society Member

walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Another nice avatar change :).
Thank's Chrissie! (and everyone else who's said nice things about my new avatar - and apologies to those who found my last one disagreeable.)
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sally wrote:Julie - I would opt for Plymouth as well as I could travel by train from Taunton when in Somerset. It would be great to opt for a Saturday to meet up and no doubt another visit could be arranged in Canterbury.

I would be happy to meet up with you, Sally, or anyone who wants to visit the Plymouth exhibition in June.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Courtenay wrote:Perhaps we should move these last several posts to a new thread (in the Enid Blyton Days forum) - specifically titled something like "Enid Blyton Exhibition 2015" - and discuss it properly there? It sounds like there's quite a lot of interest, and we would need to figure out which dates suit the most people for each location, for a start.
I was wondering last night whether we should create a dedicated thread. It would probably be best to have separate threads for the Canterbury and Plymouth Exhibitions, to avoid potential confusion. As we've got the dates for Canterbury Exhibition I'll start the thread for that now, and we could start one for the Plymouth Exhibition once the dates have been confirmed.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member