Enid and the changing world

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Enid and the changing world

Post by Daisy »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:OOpps, guilty as charged! Tony will be banning me from the site soon! :lol:

I guess I'll be blamed too then for the stupid tea thread! :P

8)
I don't think you need worry about that Julie. Our admin team seem to be very tolerant. :)
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I personally don't see anything wrong with us having friendly chats about other things, we all obviously love Enid but it shows what a great bunch of friends we are that we can all chatter about everything under the sun.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

And we can post links also? :wink: :)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Deej wrote:And we can post links also? :wink: :)
Sometimes though they get a bit boring, when we have already seen the news! :|

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Deej, I will buy you a great big wooden spoon! :wink:
Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I thought you might have a few of those kicking around already Nigel? :lol: :lol:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Oh, they're all worn out, Daisy! :D
Society Member
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Oh ha ha. Why am I not surprised? :shock:

Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five

Post by Deej »

Moonraker wrote:Deej, I will buy you a great big wooden spoon! :wink:
Me on a wind-up? Never! :wink: :P
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I know this thread is over a month old, but I had a good chuckle reading this.

As for the changing world, we will never know how Enid would have dealt with it. We probably will never know what she thought of many things, but a lot of what was important to her was evident in her work - she prized kindness to one another, honesty, fairness, hard work and compassion - and that is enough for me to know.

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

pete9012S wrote:
Famous Five 1957

‘Blow!’ said George. ‘The weather might have lasted for just one week! Whatever shall we do if it pours? Sit in our tents all day, I suppose!’
‘Cheer up - we could go and see the caves,’ said Dick. ‘I know what we’ll do now! We’ll get out our portable radio and turn it on. If there’s some decent music, it will sound glorious up here!’
‘All right. But for goodness’ sake have it on softly,’ said Anne. ‘I loathe people who take radios out into the country with them, and switch them on loudly, so that it spoils the peace and quiet for everyone else. I could go and kick their radios to pieces!’
‘Gracious, Anne - you do sound fierce!’ said George, looking at her cousin in surprise.
‘You don’t know our quiet sister Anne quite as well as we do, George,’ said Julian, with a twinkle in his eyes. ‘She can be really fierce if she thinks anyone is spoiling things for others. I had to stop her once from going up to scold people at a picnic - they actually had a gramophone going full-pelt,
in spite of the angry looks from people all round. I do believe she meant to take off the gramophone record and break it over somebody’s head!’
‘Oh, Julian! How can you say such a thing!’ said Anne. ‘I did feel like it - but I didn’t do it.’
‘All right, young Anne!’ said Julian affectionately, and patted her head. Both he and Dick thought the world of their quiet, kind little sister and looked after her well. She smiled at them.
‘Well - let’s have some music, then,’ she said. ‘There’s the Pastoral Symphony on sometime this evening, I know, because I made a note of it. It would sound beautiful out here in this lovely countryside with that view spreading for miles in front of us. But softly, please.’
Julian fetched the little radio set and took it out of its waterproof case. He switched on, and a voice came loudly from the set. Julian lowered the volume to make it softer. ‘It’s the seven o’clock news,’ he said. ‘We’ll hear it, shall we?’
But it was almost the end of the news, and the voice soon stopped to give way to an announcer. Yes - it was going to be the Pastoral Symphony now. Soon the first notes came softly from the little radio, and it seemed to set the countryside around to music. The four settled down in the heather to listen, lying half-propped up to watch the changing colours of the view in front of them as the sun sank lower.
Why not listen along with the Five? At low volume mind!! :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbfa86bTD34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is that actually the link to "jukebox music" that the OP referred to ? It seems to be more a complaint of people being inconsiderate enough to inflict their music on others in a public place, rather than the style of music being played.

Nothing old-fashioned about that - I often have the same feeling when I'm in a train carriage and some one is playing music so loud that it be heard even when they have headphones on...

I admit that kids listening to Beethoven on the hillside in the late-50s must have been unusual though...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Maggie Knows wrote:Is that actually the link to "jukebox music" that the OP referred to?
No. That Famous Five passage harks back to The Secret Island, when trippers come to the island and spoil the peace by playing loud music.

The jukebox reference is in The Rubadub Mystery, when the children go to a small fair/amusement arcade on the promenade:
There was a machine that played tunes if you put money into it - loud, blaring tunes that never seemed to stop!

"A juke-box," said Snubby, airing his knowledge. He looked at the list of tunes on it. "Oh look - it can play twenty different tunes. How super! I wish they had one of these at the inn."

"Goodness - Professor James would have a blue fit!" said Diana.

"Yes - he'd go up in smoke at once," agreed Roger. "So would Mrs. Glump, I should think. Pity we haven't any money to-night."

"I don't believe Miss Pepper will let us come here much," said Diana, looking at the people who were swarming in. "They look a pretty rough lot, some of them."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Thanks for that, another one I haven't read.

The Rubadub Mystery was published in 1951 apparently - that's pre rock 'n' roll.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'm sure Eddie will jump on that one! :wink:
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Click on the following link for information about the origins of rock 'n' roll:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_roll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member