Enid and the changing world

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Enid and the changing world

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting suggestions and comments!
Domino wrote:I am rather puzzled by the idea of a jukebox in a UK seaside town in 1951. (The Rub-a-dub Mystery was published in 1952). At the time, import restrictions prevented the import of any items which did not contain at least 53% of UK components. Jukeboxes were manufactured exclusively in the USA until 1953. So where had EB seen a jukebox, which certainly seems to have been to what she was referring?
Enid Blyton had been to the USA for three weeks in the autumn of 1948, so perhaps she first saw a jukebox there? I don't know when jukeboxes were introduced to the UK.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Eddie Muir wrote:
I was a great fan of Journey into Space and followed each weekly episode with enthusiasm. I posted the following on the forums on 2nd April 2012:

I had a very lucky find in a local charity shop at the weekend: the complete Journey into Space - the Red Planet on 10 CDs and in mint condition for £2.50. I couldn't believe my luck. I remember listening to it on the BBC's Light Programme when I was eleven years old. Now I can listen to it again at my leisure - more than ten hours of pure nostalgia. Great!

Subbuteo made a Journey into Space toy back in the 1950s which is very rare and most sought after by collectors. If you ever spot one in a charity shop, grab it and put it up on ebay and see how many £100s you get !
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the tip, Maggie. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Thanks, Maggie. The game of "Journey Into Space" did not have any connection with the radio serials, other than the title. Apparently, it was originally marketed as "By Spacecraft to the Moon". It seems to have been a blatant attempt to cash in on the popularity of the serials, but without any approval from the BBC. (There is no copyright in a title provided there is no intention to defraud.)
Subbuteo did come up with several other games apart from their famous 'Table Soccer' over the years. There were games of cricket, rugby and even snooker. There was also a card game. None of them came close to eclipsing the original game.
I have actually met Peter Adolph, the inventor and proprietor of Subbuteo until it was sold off to Lines Brothers.
I note that the accompanying booklet to the "Journey Into Space" game refers to the fleet being under the command of 'Captain Murph'. 'Spud' Murphy was the manager of the Subbuteo factory. I knew him quite well as his wife was a secretary at the law firm where I worked.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Thanks Dave. I have pretty extensive collection of Subbuteo football and rugby games and teams, but I've never really got into the other stuff they did, like Speedway, Motor Racing, even Beatles figures.

I still play Subbuteo with my kids and my Dad from time to time.

I got into this hobby several years after Peter Adolph died, but I've communicated with his son, Mark, who has provided information. Sadly, although Subbuteo did OK when it was sold to John Waddington's eventually it was snaffled by Hasbro who didn't know what to do with it and it has faded from view almost entirely these days.

The last great bastion of Subbuteo is Italy, where it is still produced by Parodi (who were SSG's agents in Italy and where it was sold under licence) and its popularity is still quite strong there.