Her writing style today?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Her writing style today?

Post by pete9012S »

'Gah!' :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

That one I can't help you with Pete! It appears to be a Mr. Goon original! :wink:
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

walter raleigh wrote:I've got an old book called "A Dictionary Of Euphemisms", which agrees with Robert's interpretation. It says "The interjection has been used since at least the middle of the last century [i.e 19th] as an expression of disgut, regret, or impatience, making it a euphemism for [the word Robert suggests] in every sense.

It goes on to say that the oldest example of it's use "comes from Edward M. Field's The Drama of Pokerville (1847): "And Mr. Bagley was there to shoot any gentleman who might say 'shucks!'", which does seem to be excessive punishment if the word stood merely for disgut, regret, or impatience."
I'm not surprised if that's where it comes from, but I am surprised that the OED doesn't mention that connection even as an unproven possibility. (This despite the fact that their entry on the much less polite word is quite extensive in its detail.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... nglish/gah" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I was hoping that under "origin" it would have "Made famous by Mr Goon, character in author Enid Blyton's "Five Find-Outers" series"! :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)