Her writing style today?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
AlexStories

Her writing style today?

Post by AlexStories »

(I thought "the Author" was the most appropriate category)

I've always wondered how the style of Enid's writing would be received by today's younger readers (and possibly adults). Obviously for her, it was nothing unusual, just a general style some might now call old fashioned. For example, when writing the other day, I nearly put "mistress" rather than "mother" (most probably because of my love of Bimbo and Topsy as a child) :P
It made me wonder: if one were to adopt a more traditional, nostalgic tone with story writing, do you think there would be a general opinion on it at all, if so, what?
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Her writing style today?

Post by Lucky Star »

Well her books still sell millions of copies each year and are regularly reprinted and reissued so there are clearly a lot of the younger generations who are reading her stories. I know that some updating has occurred but the stories and what I would call her "overall style" is still there. I'm not sure that one would be successful today writing a novel in Blytonian language, words like "gay" and "queer" have acquired new meanings and others like "darkie" etc have become taboo. I think Enid Blyton's powers of storytelling are pretty timeless, her ability to tap into children's desires, such as freedom and huge feasts, are among the things which have made her success so long lived. Ultimately though, to be successful I think an author has to develop their own style, just as she did. Originals tend to last for ever, copycat efforts tend to fade quickly.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

Enid's writing style in my opinion and all her readers love her writing but as generally if we feel that we've peeped out in some conservation it feels as if we are just in to the book any person even a non reader would think the same but like as far as we compare other writers they don't create such atmosphere the suspense the excitement as i go further just see Charles Dickens i like it but it is always sad and the normal conversation is too formal i never under stand or for instance Shakespeare's play so boring for me, so Enid's reader even after one more century would still read her. I would say Enid's writing is the best, North or South East or West Enid's the best!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

AlexStories wrote: For example, when writing the other day, I nearly put "mistress" rather than "mother" ?
Cumbs - what sort of story are you writing... :oops:

I think that this shows how the UK has changed its relationship with pet animals over 70 years. Master/Mistress denotes who is boss. Today the term might be daddy/mummy as animals become surregate children.

Not a good change methinks.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
treysmith01

Post by treysmith01 »

good post.

A not very subtle way of putting spam on the forums. We don't want it here so I have removed it.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

treysmith01 wrote:good post.

A not very subtle way of putting spam on the forums. We don't want it here so I have removed it.
Oh! Spoilsport!Wondering now what it said! :|
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

Two examples of Enid Blyton diverting from her usual style, from Five go off to Camp.

In chapter 6:
Anne took a basket, and gave one to Julian too. “To bring back the food,” said she.
Then near the end of chapter 7, Dick is surprised that Mr Andrews seems to believe in the spook trains:
“Gee!” said Dick.
Gee, that sounds more like Berta than Dick!
The book was published in 1948, the same year Enid and Kenneth went to New York, so maybe she picked up a few American sayings.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Lenoir wrote:
“Gee!” said Dick.

The next Gee is not found in the books until 1952's Five Have A Wonderful Time:
"Grrrrrrrr," said Timmy at once, but he was the only one who made any reply!
"Gee-up!" said Jo, taking the reins of the horse pulling the girls" caravan. "Hup there! Git along, will you?"
I wonder if there are more? Surely some in Finniston Farm?? :D

There are five in this book....
But it was Berta. Her golden head glistened wet in the water, and she shouted in glee as she swam.
‘This is great! This is wunnerful! Gee, I’m enjoying this! Hi there, George - isn’t the water warm?’
Julian and Dick grinned round at the panting George. ‘Lesley’s a fine swimmer,’ said Dick. ‘Gosh, I thought she was going to race me at one time. She’d beat you, George!’
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm sure that 'Gee' was used as an expression in England a long while before Enid used it, as many people were highly influenced by American movies in the 1930's and 40's and would have heard the expression 'Gee!' an awful lot! 8) As you say, it was pretty unusual for Enid to use it though - interesting!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

"Gee" is meant to replicate the word Jesus. It has no connection to the term "Gee-up". I am surprised Enid used it.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I thought that, but didn't like to say, LOL! ;-) I presume it's a corruption of 'Geeze' which in turn is a corruption of Jesus, as you say. However, it was used so often in the 1930's in American films that it seemed to loose its original meaning and become a word in itself.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks for the info on 'Gee'.

I wonder were 'shucks' is derived from?
It's not something I would ever say.I imagine in my mind it means something like 'drat' or 'oh bother'?

Finniston Farm contains 4G's!
‘Stay here? Where you gonna sleep, then?’ demanded the boy, pulling up a chair to the table. ‘This is a one-eyed place, ain’t it, Pop - no wash-basins, no...’
‘Shut up,’ said the twins together, and gave the boy such a glare that Anne stared in astonishment.
‘Aw, go on, I can say what I like, can’t I?’ said the boy. ‘Free country, isn’t it? Gee, you should just see America!
‘Where have they gone?’ demanded Junior, having poured a glass of orangeade straight down his throat in a most remarkable manner. ‘Gee, that was good.’
‘I’ll go and help with the milking,’ he said, and slid off his chair.
‘I’d rather you didn’t, Junior,’ said Mrs Philpot. ‘You upset the cows a bit last time, you know.’
‘Aw gee - that was because I was new to it,’ said Junior.
And finally... capitals are Enid's!
Alas! George little knew that every single word had been overheard by Junior, whose left ear was still pinned to the knot-hole in the wood! His face was red with surprise and delight. WHAT a secret! Whatever would his Pop say? Dungeons! Perhaps full of gold and jewels and all kinds of things! He rubbed his hands together in delight, thinking that he would soon get even with these annoying children now - as soon as his Pop came home, he’d spill everything to him.
GEE!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

pete9012S wrote:Thanks for the info on 'Gee'.

I wonder were 'shucks' is derived from?
It's not something I would ever say.I imagine in my mind it means something like 'drat' or 'oh bother'?
I don't think it takes much imagination to know where 'shucks' is derived from! I guess it was a case of saying 'Oh shhhhhh....ucks...' :shock:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

In both the online dictionaries I looked up (Oxford and Dictionary.com), "shucks" is listed under the American English word "shuck", meaning the outer hull of something (like a corn husk or an oyster's shell), with the verb "to shuck" meaning to take the hull off. "Shucks" is "used to express surprise, regret, irritation, or, in response to praise, self-deprecation". But both dictionaries simply said the term was of unknown origin, nor did either of them give any indication of how and why "shuck", the noun or verb, and "shucks", the exclamation, are related! :|

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

I've got an old book called "A Dictionary Of Euphemisms", which agrees with Robert's interpretation. It says "The interjection has been used since at least the middle of the last century [i.e 19th] as an expression of disgut, regret, or impatience, making it a euphemism for [the word Robert suggests] in every sense.

It goes on to say that the oldest example of it's use "comes from Edward M. Field's The Drama of Pokerville (1847): "And Mr. Bagley was there to shoot any gentleman who might say 'shucks!'", which does seem to be excessive punishment if the word stood merely for disgut, regret, or impatience."
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member