Thoughts after re-reading A Childhood at Green Hedges

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Belly

Thoughts after re-reading A Childhood at Green Hedges

Post by Belly »

I was reminded of Alicia when Enid says of herself:

'Deep down within me I have an arrogant spirit that makes me a bit scornful of other people, if I think they are stupid or led by the nose or at the mercy of their upbringing or environment'.

Also Malory Towers again sprang to mind when we learn that Kenneth Darrell Waters hooted the horn if Enid was delayed by even a couple of minutes! (Darrell's father).

Whilst on the subject of cars the fact Hugh used to arrive home in an enormous, armoured, army car reminds me of Bill when he turns up in the middle on the night in similar, powerful, large cars on secret service duty, etc.

When I read about Enid's friends Mirabel Davis and Marjory Hull (?) I was reminded of school stories again as Enid had characters with these names (although I think it was Marjorie).

Also could Jenny Wren be modelled on Dorothy Richards? Dorothy with her catchphrases 'less said soonest mended' and Jenny with her 'what we sow we reap and may our harvest always be good' etc. We also learn from Imogen that Dorothy was 'scrupulously fair in all things' and 'always supportive'. Also she wasn't an attractive women and I think Jenny is described as looking like a wizened monkey with an funny face or something like that! :lol: I would certainly love a Dorothy in my household at the moment, she would be very helpful!!!

I was struck by the fact dinner with their mother was a privilege the girls enjoyed from aged 10 onwards, how society has changed!

Also Imogen saying 'I who let her down so completely' about her mother. I don't think Imogen did, in the slightest.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: A few thoughts after re-reading A Childhood at GH

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Belly wrote:Also could Jenny Wren be modelled on Dorothy Richards? Dorothy with her catchphrases 'less said soonest mended' and Jenny with her 'what we sow we reap and may our harvest always be good' etc. We also learn from Imogen that Dorothy was 'scrupulously fair in all things' and 'always supportive'. Also she wasn't an attractive women and I think Jenny is described as looking like a wizened monkey with an funny face or something like that! :lol:
I thought that too, Belly, when writing my Red-Roofs article for the Journal. I hesitated to mention it though, because Barbara Stoney writes in her Biography that Dorothy and Enid fell out with one another early in 1944 (because Enid was apparently very unpleasant to Dorothy after Dorothy brought a family who had been bombed out of their home to Green Hedges.) After that, the two women didn't communicate for ten years. However, it's still perfectly possible that Jenny Wren was modelled on Dorothy. Red-Roofs was written in 1945 and it may be that Enid was missing her friend and wishing she was still in touch with her. But I expect pride would have prevented her making the first move. Besides, why waste a great character when it was just what the story needed!

Edit: Just checked Tony's Bibliography and discovered that The Family at Red-Roofs was published in January 1945. That means it was probably written in 1944, but whether it was written before or after the incident mentioned above I've no idea.
Belly wrote:I was struck by the fact dinner with their mother was a privilege the girls enjoyed from aged 10 onwards, how society has changed!
Golly - yes, I can't imagine how our children would feel/have felt if my husband and I hadn't let them eat dinner with us until the age of ten! Preparing separate meals would be a pain anyway with no Cook in the kitchen! :lol:

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Interesting you had the same thought, Anita.

I think it is very possible Enid was missing Dorothy, she sounded like an amazingly capable person who would be sorely missed in any household ! And after she'd left as a sensible, supportive friend. Gillian and Imogen sounded as if they liked her more than others they had in the house, she must have a been a steady influence on them.

Also Jenny Wren was a 'servant' as Dorothy was. I wonder if Dorothy read the book and saw herself in Jenny? Jenny made a great impression on me as a child and as an adult I find her character and values inspirational! Perhaps, and this is a bit of a long shot :D , subconciously Enid hoped Dorothy would read the book and pick up the phone/write a letter? Did they ever reconcile?

Sometimes separate meals would be a nice, peaceful idea! Cook or no cook! :D

My theory is those with the closest relationships with their mothers had an affectionate bond with them when they were small children. My grandmother (born 1905) did not once hug or kiss my mother but cared for her very well, it meant somehow that later closeness was sacrificed.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting, Belly. I've edited my post above to add that The Family at Red-Roofs was actually published in January 1945. That means it was probably written in 1944, but whether it was written before or after the "falling out" I've no idea.

Enid and Dorothy were reconciled but were no longer as close. Barbara Stoney writes, "There were no further meetings after that until 1954, when some bonds for Gillian and Imogen, over which Dorothy had acted as trustee, matured and having re-established contact they took up their friendship again, but it was never to return to its previous intimacy."

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

Belly wrote: I was struck by the fact dinner with their mother was a privilege the girls enjoyed from aged 10 onwards, how society has changed!

Also Imogen saying 'I who let her down so completely' about her mother. I don't think Imogen did, in the slightest.
Although it did not happen in my immediate family I do remember that I had an uncle and aunt who dined alone and their three children had a "nursery tea" with the maid at around 6 o'clock in the evening. I always found it most odd when I went to visit them, and the "nursery tea" was incredibly bland and boring, mainly consisting of slices of bread and butter.

What did Imogen mean when she said 'I who let her down so completely' with reference to her mother?
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Belly

Post by Belly »

Interesting re: nursery tea. My mother had a nanny but am not sure whether she ate with her parents (I don't think so) or what she ate, will have to ask.

Re: Imogen, I am not sure. To my mind Imogen felt her mother wanted her to be a different person somehow and as she wasn't she felt she let her down. Personally I feel she didn't as she was/is a person true to herself. Just my impression :) .
dsr

Post by dsr »

Could it be that Jenny-Wren was the reason for the falling-out? Maybe Dorothy recognised herself in the character and was mortally offended by being described as having a face like a monkey?
DSR
Belly

Post by Belly »

I think it was written after they fell out, over all the comparison was very complementary. I can't imagine a no nonsense woman like Dorothy being upset by it, it would have made me laugh :D
Moonraker

OT:Bells for meals

Post by Moonraker »

Slightly off topic, but talking about mealtimes and children, it has always amused me the way a bell was sounded when meals were ready. I just can't imagine being called in by your mother ring a bell. Was it a big hand bell, such as we used to have at school?

I suppose it is equally queer to have a dinner gong. Surely calling, "Come and get it," is far more friendly!
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I always imagine it was a little dinner gong, banged by an impatient cook or maid :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

I suppose in a large house like Green Hedges it was a way of summoning those on the upper floor etc that the food was ready? A bit like an intercom/phone system would work now.

We had a garden bell that Mum would ring to get us in from building dens in the depths of the shubbery etc, saved her voice! :D

Gongs always remind me of days gone by and are quaint somehow. I remember seeing them in Bed & Breakfasts and Guest Houses. I can imagine the inn in the Rubadub mystery and similar having one.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I always presumed gongs were used to call the 'upper-classes' to their dinner because it might be looked on as rather 'vulgar' to shout peoples names up the garden, especially in a 'high-class' neighbourhood! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I started reading this book for the first time this afternoon, and decided to share a few thoughts on the forum. I must say I'm a bit surprised it doesn't have a longer thread! I did a search and I can see it had been mentioned in many threads (in one about Imogen particularly). So here I am resurrecting this thread.

I've had the book over a year, my mum found a reasonably priced copy on Amazon for Christmas 2010. I've never read it, as although I wanted the book, I was then worried about what would be in it. I know Imogen is known for her somewhat negative opinions of her mother, and of their relationship.

On reading it (the first three chapters anyway) I was pleasantly surprised. I'm finding Imogen's descriptions and re-tellings to be quite un-judgemental, if that's the right word. She clearly states some of her mother's failings, yet she seems to be quite understanding about them at the same time, making allowances for them in light of her mother's own upbringing etc. I was expecting it to be more, more, poisonous? Nasty? I'm not sure if that explains my feelings very well, but it's the best I seem to be able to express it.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else feels the same?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'd love to read this book, but although I have it as an alert on E-Bay, I've never seen one I felt was at at price I was prepared to pay. It's interesting that it seems to sell for a lot more than Enid's Biography. I'm interested on your comments Fiona, as that was my one reservation about the book - would it be bitter? Although I have read an article by Imogen in one of the earlier Journals and found that to be a well balanced and interesting piece of writing. Perhaps sadly the negative image is one that has been siezed on by the media and blown up into something worse than it really was.

I've noticed the comments about people using bells. My neighbour has a little hand bell which she uses in the summer to inform her husband that a meal is ready if he's at the bottom of the garden. Makes me feel quite ashamed of yelling out of the the back door to inform my tribe it's time to be fed :oops:
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

On checking Amazon, the only copies available right now are at £25. I'm sure my mum only paid £10-£15.

You've said what I meant, Katharine, only better!

I think you may be right about the "negative image" being exaggerated in the media (and to a certain extent that seems to be propagated on the forums).
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member