Thoughts after re-reading A Childhood at Green Hedges

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Thoughts after re-reading A Childhood at Green Hedges

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine wrote:I was very apprehensive about reading the book, as I'd formed the impression that it was very 'anti Enid', from comments I've heard over the years. However I didn't feel that way at all.
Yes, critics sometimes take quotations out of context to make it seem as though the book is unrelentingly negative about Enid Blyton, but if you read the whole thing the overall tone is quite different.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

There are definitely one or two short parts which if taken on there own would be seen unfavourably. I think one important aspect of reading the book is to remember the time period it relates to. A couple of times I did think 'ouch, that was harsh' when I read it, then realised I was judging words or behaviour by today's attitudes.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's great that people can read this book and see it as fairly positive. It's a book I own a copy of, and I'm pleased that I do, as it's an important insight into Enid's life from Imogen's point of view, and into Imogen's childhood. I do view it as a pretty depressing negative read, but also recognise that Imogen was working out a lot of childhood frustrations and demons as she wrote it - feelings she needed to set down and get out in the open. It's a book I have always found to be an uncomfortable read, and I've read it only twice, with several years between, but it's very well written, and essential reading for any Blyton fan. From two readings of it, however, I can only really recall negative feelings and so it's not a book I envisage returning to any time soon.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I do agree with the sentiment that it's a pretty depressing negative read, but then on the whole I'm not a fan of that type of book in general. Probably most books like that are of a similar nature, but I wouldn't normally read them, the only reason I read it was because it was connected with Enid Blyton.

I got about two thirds of the way through and had to put it to one side for a while before I could face reading any more. I'm glad that it did include other aspects of Enid's life such as the purchase of the golf course, and the tax reasons behind Eric Rogers getting involved in the running of Enid's business affairs - something I'd not fully grasped previously.

Hopefully it helped Imogen in some way to write it. I can understand why she stopped pretty much when she reached adulthood, as her life from that point stopped being that of just being Enid Blyton's daughter and presumably she became a person in her own right. However it would have been interesting to know more of how her life went on. There were a couple of brief references, such as her ability to show her fear of thunderstorms to her husband, and the way she used some of her own experiences when she was a teacher. It would have been nice to have hopefully seen that she became more confident as a person, and hopefully enjoyed life more as an adult than she appears to have done as a child. However I can understand that she would probably want to keep her life private.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

On the whole, I only want to read what a favourite author of mine wrote. I don't really have any interest in their personal lives. Maybe Enid is a little different for us, as we have all read (on and off this site) many things about Enid. But I do wonder if any author has inspired so much debate about their work as Enid has. There seems to be an insatiable appetite to find out every possible thing about the person, and to speculate endlessly about their fictional characters and locations - almost to fever pitch.

Take Agatha Christie - I have never wondered where the "real" St Mary Mead is, or how Hercule Poirot fared at school and why he decided to enter the Belgian police force.

Edited to remove numerous errors!
Last edited by Moonraker on 29 Jan 2015, 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Oh Nigel, please tell me that was typed on a tablet and you were hit by an autocorrect!

I think now though, it's quite natural for people to want to know more and more about authors, actors etc. We used to love to read magazines with interviews to find out their favourite colour or scent or other meaningless factoids and now we know just about everything about them thanks to the internet.

It's different when the subject of your interest is long-dead, though. So much more speculations have to be made and there'll be no tweet sent out later to confirm or deny a rumour.

I'm certainly interested in Blyton's life but I know to take a lot of the "facts" with a pinch of salt and I don't let them ruin my enjoyment of the books or my admiration for her as a writer.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fiona1986 wrote:Oh Nigel, please tell me that was typed on a tablet and you were hit by an autocorrect!
Oh dear. Mary McClure must be rubbing off on me..... I think I have now corrected them all, but can't be sure!
Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Who's Mary McClure?! ;) ;)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

A new up and coming fabulous author of comedy!! :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Looks much better to me now, Nigel, so thanks!

(I don't normally point out errors like that - only when it's made my someone I know knows better!)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Fiona1986 wrote:Oh Nigel, please tell me that was typed on a tablet and you were hit by an autocorrect!
Oh dear. Mary McClure must be rubbing off on me..... I think I have now corrected them all, but can't be sure!
Don't tell me you're Mary (Martha?) McClure, Nigel and its all down to a hasty autocorrector? :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Oh dear, mind you, I don't really wish to remember her made-up name.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I seem to have missed out on all this Mary McLure business. :?
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Cast your eyes upon this thread, Lucky Star - http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... =17&t=6491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and all will be revealed. :shock: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

You may want a stiff drink in your hand first, though.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member