Looking for Enid - The mystery of the odd anagram

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
timv

Re: The mystery of the odd anagram/Looking for Enid

Post by timv »

Hi, I'm a new member here logging on for the first time so please excuse any mistakes! I'm writing a book on the use of real places in children's literature c. 1920-80 which will feature Enid in one section, which will hopefully be of interest to the Society. I have contacted Tony Summerfield and Viv about it.This should be out in some months' time, as it has been accepted and I have sent in the text and photos. Some of Enid's probable inspirations will be featured.
As to Teachers' World: my mother trained as a teacher early in the Second World War, which would have been 1940-2. She told me that this magazine was where she first came across Enid, by reading her articles/ letters there. I am not sure if she had read some earlier than this date too , c. 1937-9, as in her teens she was intending to become a primary school teacher. She then corresponded with Enid about her own efforts to write fantasy for small children. From what she told me I think TW was mainly intended as a sort of guide/ source of ideas for teachers, mostly of children under 11.
I am not sure about Enid and anagrams; some of those in Duncan's book 'Looking For Enid' seem unlikely. But I do think that Enid sometimes used a semi-disguised real name as a hint at her source for ideas on people or locations which she used. I will be submitting a few of these which I came across to the forum and seeing what people think.
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Welcome and good luck with your new book, Timv! :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Your book sounds very interesting Timv. Good luck with it. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

I almost read half of the thread and skimmed the rest when I found that it was a post from 2007 I was in such great surprise and I actually felt it was 2015! :lol:

Both Duncans book and the recent 2015 book by tmv, what I believe as a premature writer(aspiring to be one) and an ardent reader, whenever a writer pens down his beliefs, ideas on a particular thing that triggered him to write or,his thoughts are woven into a story ;so when a Writer writes, he bases his Writing on Personal experiences, and the characters he meets. T
Therefore, I believe much of Enid's writing must be a print of her experiences, her beliefs, and daily life characters.
Goon could be much of a possibility to be Hugh Pollock!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

zaidi wrote:I almost read half of the thread and skimmed the rest when I found that it was a post from 2007 I was in such great surprise and I actually felt it was 2015! :lol:
Timv's post was made on the 2nd of August 2015.
Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Re: Looking for Enid - The mystery of the odd anagram

Post by zaidi »

Moonraker wrote:
zaidi wrote:I almost read half of the thread and skimmed the rest when I found that it was a post from 2007 I was in such great surprise and I actually felt it was 2015! :lol:
Timv's post was made on the 2nd of August 2015.
Talking about the earlier ones.
Betsy's Bear

Popular appeal for 50 somethings!

Post by Betsy's Bear »

Merged with an existing topic.

I am reading a Blyton biography called 'looking for enid' and I left it on my desk at work, 3 people have picked it up and expressed interest in reading it, so there is now a queue when I've finished it. We were all sharing our blyton memories from childhood.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Looking for Enid - The mystery of the odd anagram

Post by pete9012S »

Interesting Betsy's Bear. I have the book in hard back and I'm planning to re-read it again soon.
It's written by our very own forum member Green Hedges aka Duncan who often posts here.

Regards

Pete

http://www.duncanmclaren.co.uk/pages/en ... -enid.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member