Postby Tony Summerfield » 28 Mar 2014, 13:32

This one came as a Word file attached to an email:-

Helsby Hillside Primary School
Bates lane
Helsby
Cheshire
WA6 9LN

Dear Enid Blyton society,
My name is Edward I`m 8 years old and I love Enid Blyton books. Can I ask you some questions about her books?
My first question is when she was little who was her favourite author and why? My favourite author is her because her books are funny and they’re really good and I like “Look out Secret Seven,” in fact I’m reading it right now!
I have one brother and one sister they’re both annoying how many brothers or sisters did she have?
What is her favourite book that she wrote and why? My favourite book she wrote is famous five, it is really good and funny I really like Timmy the dog.
I would like to be tennis player like Andy Murray who won the title. I think he is ranked 4th in the world. What would she have liked to be if she was not a writer?
Yours sincerely
Edward
Tony Summerfield

Re: A Letter from Edward

Postby Poppy » 28 Mar 2014, 15:11

A great letter, Edward. I will try and answer some of your questions. Enid Blyton had two younger brothers, Hanly and Carey. She loved many authors including Louisa May Alcott's Little Women, Anna Sewell's Black Beauty and Charles Kingsley who wrote The Water Babies, when she was younger. I don't think anybody knows what Enid's favourite book of her own was, but her favourite character was George of the Famous Five, whom she later revealed was based on herself. Enid Blyton also very much liked tennis! If she had not been an author, Enid's father would have liked her to be a musician; she was a talented pianist. Another hobby of hers was gardening and before she became an author Blyton was a school teacher.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Poppy

Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Postby Anita Bensoussane » 28 Mar 2014, 15:13

Interesting questions, Edward!

To add to what Poppy said, when Enid Blyton was a girl her favourite book was The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald because she loved the magical atmosphere of the story.

Enid was a talented musician and her parents wanted her to be a concert pianist like her aunt. She had a place at the Guildhall School of Music but turned it down in order to become a teacher (during which time she also did some writing) and then a full-time writer.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and Family Books
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack Trent and Elizabeth Allen

Postby Julie2owlsdene » 29 Mar 2014, 09:50

How nice that these children take the time to write and ask questions about Enid Blyton, still.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Return to Letters from Children