The Enid Blyton Society

A Letter from Georgia

A place to put children's fan letters to Enid Blyton

A Letter from Georgia

Postby Tony Summerfield » 17 Sep 2012, 22:15

I hope you can read this as it is in pencil on a purple background. posted from a few hundred yards away from me!

Tony Summerfield

Re: A Letter from Georgia

Postby Anita Bensoussane » 18 Sep 2012, 12:37

It's nice to read your letter, Georgia. The Wishing-Chair books are very imaginative but I don't remember Whisher. Perhaps he's from one of the new Wishing-Chair books by Narinder Dhami? Those books are about Jack and Jessica whereas Enid Blyton's original Wishing-Chair books are about Peter and Mollie.

In answer to your questions:

From an early age, Enid Blyton enjoyed storytelling. She would tell stories to her brothers when they were little and she liked writing stories at school. When she went to bed at night, stories would flood into her mind. As she grew older, she realised that she had a gift for storytelling and she made up her mind to become an author.

Enid Blyton wasn't allowed to have a pet as a child, but when she was grown up she made up for that by keeping dogs, cats, fantail pigeons, goldfish, etc. One of her most famous dogs was a fox terrier called Bobs. Have you ever read Bimbo and Topsy? The cats and dogs in that book are named after pets belonging to Enid and the two girls are named after her daughters, Gillian and Imogen.

Enid Blyton loved school and was very popular. She enjoyed taking part in concerts and playing tricks and jokes on the teachers, she was tennis champion and captain of the lacrosse team, and she was awarded prizes for her achievement in several school subjects. During her final two years she was made head girl.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and Family Books
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack Trent and Elizabeth Allen

Postby Moonraker » 20 Sep 2012, 16:59

Always lovely to read letters from children. As you ask if Enid was bullied at school, I wonder if you are? It is important to talk to someone if you are, as bullying is an evil pursuit and must not be tolerated.
Society Member
Moonraker

Postby Darrell71 » 26 Sep 2012, 17:27

Yes, that's exactly what I thought!
Books are one's best friends.

You can call me Sunskriti or Darrell.

Society Member
Darrell71

Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,