The Enid Blyton Society

Introduction

A place to put children's fan letters to Enid Blyton

Introduction

Postby Tony Summerfield » 20 Feb 2012, 13:57

As there is currently nowhere for children to send fan letters to Enid Blyton, they normally get sent to me. Sadly I don't have time to answer them, but I have always felt bad about this. I have therefore added this new section, so that at least children will be able to see that their letter has arrived and been read. If they are sent as emails I will post them on exactly as they are sent and will not correct them in any way. If they are letters I will scan them and post them, but I will remove any home addresses and surnames.

Forum members are welcome to post comments and answer any questions that get asked in the letters, but please do not stray off topic as your post will then be deleted there are plenty of other sections in these forums where you can stray as much as you like!
Tony Summerfield

Re: Introduction

Postby Daisy » 20 Feb 2012, 15:45

I think this is a lovely idea Tony. I would be pleased to see what young Enid Blyton fans of today have to say.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Daisy

Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Postby Spitfire » 20 Feb 2012, 16:39

I was intrigued to see this new forum. I think it's a great idea.

Daisy wrote:I would be pleased to see what young Enid Blyton fans of today have to say.

Me too!

:)
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Spitfire

Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Postby Moonraker » 20 Feb 2012, 17:40

Tony Summerfield wrote:I have therefore added this new section, so that at least children will be able to see that their letter has arrived and been read.

I might be being a bit thick here, but how will children know that their letters will be on the forum, let alone that their is a dedicated thread to them? I like the idea of being able to read them though.
Society Member
Moonraker

Postby Tony Summerfield » 20 Feb 2012, 18:07

Moonraker wrote:I might be being a bit thick here, but how will children know that their letters will be on the forum, let alone that there is a dedicated thread to them? I like the idea of being able to read them though.

At the moment they won't as until I get help this is only available to registered members! :roll:

However, as soon as it is available for all to see, emails will be no problem and for letters I normally get an email from a teacher asking for my address.
Tony Summerfield

Postby Moonraker » 20 Feb 2012, 18:11

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Moonraker wrote:I might be being a bit thick here, but how will children know that their letters will be on the forum, let alone that there is a dedicated thread to them? I like the idea of being able to read them though.

Drat! :evil:
Society Member
Moonraker

Postby Katharine » 20 Feb 2012, 19:17

I think it's a lovely idea. My children sent letters to their favourite authors during a project at primary school. My daughter was a big fan of the Worst Witch books and was thrilled to receive a handwritten letter from the author Jill Murphy. Obviously Enid Blyton can't respond to any fans, but at least this way their enthusiasm will be acknowledged somewhere.
Society Member
Katharine

Postby Lucky Star » 21 Feb 2012, 12:19

Another excellent innovation Tony. Proving yet again that this is the premier Enid Blyton site on the web. :D
"If Hugo's treasure you would see, look for a door where none should be".

Society Member
Lucky Star

Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Postby honesty » 23 Apr 2013, 04:22

Lovely idea Tony.

honesty
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
honesty

Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Postby Courtenay » 01 May 2014, 21:19

I've said this before, but does it irk anyone else here that most of these schoolchildren's teachers (and/or parents) are apparently not letting them know that Enid Blyton passed away more than 45 years ago?? :? :| :roll: Honestly... if I'd wanted or been asked to write a letter to my favourite author at that age (I don't recall I ever did it), I'd want to know first of all whether or not that author was still around to receive it! And yet only a handful of the letters posted here are addressed to the Enid Blyton Society - the vast majority begin with "Dear Enid Blyton..."

I'm delighted that so many children still are reading and loving Enid's books, but you'd think they could be better informed!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Postby Tony Summerfield » 01 May 2014, 22:29

I am quite tempted to post a letter that I had from a teacher with three letters from this latest batch. She started it with 'Dear Enid Blyton' and the letter included this paragraph.

'I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for doing your wonderful work as a writer.'

I won't post any more, but further similar comments followed this and it was obvious that all authors got the same letter, but you would have thought she would have had an alternative letter for authors who are no longer alive!

Luckily Treasure Island would be for a slightly older age group!! :roll:
Tony Summerfield

Postby Jack400 » 01 May 2014, 22:52

Courtenay wrote:I've said this before, but does it irk anyone else here that most of these schoolchildren's teachers (and/or parents) are apparently not letting them know that Enid Blyton passed away more than 45 years ago?? :? :| :roll: Honestly... if I'd wanted or been asked to write a letter to my favourite author at that age (I don't recall I ever did it), I'd want to know first of all whether or not that author was still around to receive it! And yet only a handful of the letters posted here are addressed to the Enid Blyton Society - the vast majority begin with "Dear Enid Blyton..."

I'm delighted that so many children still are reading and loving Enid's books, but you'd think they could be better informed!

Yes - I agree. While the children may possibly be excused from knowing ( especially if their teachers don't :roll: ) I can't really accept this lack of knowledge. " Dear Beethoven..."
Jack
Society Member
Jack400

Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Postby Courtenay » 01 May 2014, 23:31

Oh dear, Tony, that's even worse... :shock: Come to that, I'm off very soon to a celebration of Julian of Norwich, who is considered to be the earliest known female writer in English - she wrote her "Revelations of Divine Love" in the late 1300s/early 1400s. Maybe I should drop her a line before I arrive?? :mrgreen:

Seriously - when the teachers aren't even aware - and obviously don't bother to find out - whether an author is still living or not... :roll: I think we can guess that those teachers didn't grow up reading Enid Blyton themselves!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Postby Poppy » 02 May 2014, 08:25

This has always been something which has puzzled me too, and I think it is quite careless and unhelpful of the teachers not to perform a quick google search to see if the authors are still alive. Most of my teachers from Primary School were fans of Enid Blyton, and no doubt any other teacher would have been aware of Enid Blyton books when they were younger - so why would they think she was still alive? Even easier, the teacher could check the publishing date on a book of that authors.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Poppy

Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Postby Courtenay » 02 May 2014, 21:31

Yes, like I think I said somewhere else, I grew up well aware that my parents had had these books, too, when they were little. Mum always swears that at her primary school (in a mainly immigrant community in outer suburban Melbourne) "there was nothing to read but Enid Blyton"; Dad had (and still has) a Noddy annual he was given as a boy in the early 1950s. And it was pretty obvious from the stories themselves that they were written a long time ago! I can't remember actually finding out when Enid's date of death was, but I think I assumed all along that she was no longer around.

This was all in the days before the internet - now, I just have to type "Enid Blyton" into Google, and the second thing that comes up (after the EBS! :D ) is Wikipedia: "Enid Mary Blyton (11 August 1897 - 28 November 1968) was an English children's writer..." If a teacher doesn't even do that much - and a child could do it too, of course! - well, I wonder how deeply they're encouraging children to think and find out and learn... :roll:
Society Member

Courtenay

Next

Return to Letters from Children