Blyton on "The One Show"

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Blyton on "The One Show"

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Gary Russell wrote:14th June. It was very hot. I got badly sunburned on Brownsea. I hadn't ridden a bike since 1980. I never plan to ride one again. I got lost driving home. Sat navs and roadsigns in Dorset tell you very different things, neither of which helped. The pub in Corfe that we had lunch in was very nice. I got more sunburned sitting in their garden too. Parking was a bloody nightmare. I remembered why I don't like boats and ferries. The poeple who run Brownsea Island are lovely. The people who run Corfe Castle were significantly less so.
It sounds quite a day, Gary!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thanks for your memories of the filming Gary. That must have been one of our very few real summer days!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I enjoyed the clip and I'm very pleased that Eileen Soper's illustrations were used in it, the definitive artist of the Famous Five.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Even though the Five as played by Marcus, Gary, Jennifer and Michele look a lot more like Betty Maxey's versions?? :D :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

number 6 wrote:Personally, I wish a bit more was said regarding Michele's contribution & not just that she'd passed away some years ago! :|
I really think the family wouldn't want that discussed/mentioned on national television. Of course, I am only reading between the lines - Gary would know much more. Some things are best left alone.

A most interesting and humerous post, Gary. Interesting too your comment about the NT at Corfe Castle. I believe Viv had some issues with them, too.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I enjoying watching it anyway, and thanks, Tony and Gary for your information. Wish I had been there to see the filming. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I thought it was quite fair that they simply said "Sadly, actress Michele Gallagher, who played George, passed away in 2000" and left it at that. If there was no mention of her at all, viewers might be left wondering why she wasn't included — whereas the way they did it gives her a respectful acknowledgment while preserving her family's privacy.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Moonraker wrote:
number 6 wrote:Personally, I wish a bit more was said regarding Michele's contribution & not just that she'd passed away some years ago! :|
I really think the family wouldn't want that discussed/mentioned on national television. Of course, I am only reading between the lines - Gary would know much more. Some things are best left alone.
Unless we knew for sure that Michele's family would or wouldn't want her discussed/mentioned on National Television, or at any other time, then we can't think or assume anything.

I wasn't asking for a long drawn out obituary, just an acknowledgment of her overall contribution to a very successful series that she would've been proud of.
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Courtenay wrote:I thought it was quite fair that they simply said "Sadly, actress Michele Gallagher, who played George, passed away in 2000" and left it at that. If there was no mention of her at all, viewers might be left wondering why she wasn't included — whereas the way they did it gives her a respectful acknowledgment while preserving her family's privacy.
It was discussed at great length, but it was agreed by everyone that a) we didn't want to get bogged down with questions about how she died B) it would be a bit of a downer in what was essentially a light-hearted look at Blyton's legacy, and not ours c) The One Show is a frothy light entertainment show going out early evening and no one thought dwelling on death would look anything other than cheap, dismissive and casual on a show like that
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I thought it was handled in the program in an extremely sensitive manner. The whole segment was most enjoyable.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The only thing I didn't like was the interviewer, dressed in a school uniform. Ridiculously lame! :roll:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:
Courtenay wrote:I thought it was quite fair that they simply said "Sadly, actress Michele Gallagher, who played George, passed away in 2000" and left it at that. If there was no mention of her at all, viewers might be left wondering why she wasn't included — whereas the way they did it gives her a respectful acknowledgment while preserving her family's privacy.
It was discussed at great length, but it was agreed by everyone that a) we didn't want to get bogged down with questions about how she died B) it would be a bit of a downer in what was essentially a light-hearted look at Blyton's legacy, and not ours c) The One Show is a frothy light entertainment show going out early evening and no one thought dwelling on death would look anything other than cheap, dismissive and casual on a show like that
Fair enough.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I think the whole item was well balanced, positive and entertaining. I also agree that the interviewer was rather incongruous - but he does do items he fronts in a way which I personally often do not like much.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I agree about the interviewer as the item had nothing to do with a school series. When I was originally approached by The One Show I was told that the interviews were going to be done by Gyles Brandreth who I had already met as he had been a speaker at an Enid Blyton Day.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

I would have preferred Gyles Brandreth - what a pity he wasn't available.

Society Member