Blyton on "The One Show"

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Moonraker

Re: Blyton on "The One Show"

Post by Moonraker »

I was quite happy with the whole clip. I didn't see a problem with the interviewer at all. I'm not a fan of Giles Brandreth in any case.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I just find it ridiculous when presenters are forced to dress as school boys just because that's the kind of 'jolly japes' Enid Blyton provokes. I find it mildly insulting to her readers and fans.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Moonraker wrote: I'm not a fan of Giles Brandreth in any case.
I'm with you there, Nigel. Back in 1968 and during the 1970s, I used to take a magazine called 'Games and Puzzles'. It was aimed at adults and was not for children. For the first two or three years, Gyles Brandreth used to write a regular column each month that was so incongruous and plumbed the depths of inanity. For example, he had this (what he thought was screamingly funny) running joke about travelling around Britain on his pogo stick. Need I say more?

And he was elected an MP??? Bleeeaaar!!!

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Gary Russell wrote:
Courtenay wrote:I thought it was quite fair that they simply said "Sadly, actress Michele Gallagher, who played George, passed away in 2000" and left it at that. If there was no mention of her at all, viewers might be left wondering why she wasn't included — whereas the way they did it gives her a respectful acknowledgment while preserving her family's privacy.
It was discussed at great length, but it was agreed by everyone that a) we didn't want to get bogged down with questions about how she died B) it would be a bit of a downer in what was essentially a light-hearted look at Blyton's legacy, and not ours c) The One Show is a frothy light entertainment show going out early evening and no one thought dwelling on death would look anything other than cheap, dismissive and casual on a show like that
I think the right conclusions were reached. I'm rarely impressed by the presenters on The One Show so I guess it could have been worse- though a longer time slot would, naturally, have been better.
Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I saw this on the 'The One Show' the other night. The reference to the "trademark" 'lashings' phrase made me smile, imagining all the eye rolling done by all you forumites in response to that! :lol: Anyway, I really enjoyed the clip, it made me really want to get out my Famous Five books and reread them again! If only I had the time. Those were the days when all I had to worry about was what Enid Blyton book to read next!
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

Gary, I missed this quote ..

“ 14th June. It was very hot. I got badly sunburned on Brownsea. I hadn't ridden a bike since 1980. I never plan to ride one again. I got lost driving home. Sat navs and roadsigns in Dorset tell you very different things, neither of which helped. The pub in Corfe that we had lunch in was very nice. I got more sunburned sitting in their garden too. Parking was a bloody nightmare. I remembered why I don't like boats and ferries. The poeple who run Brownsea Island are lovely. The people who run Corfe Castle were significantly less so. “

I must admit, at one point, when your front wheel was being pulled left and right to keep the bike from toppling over, I did think you might have been out of practice.

So thanks from me, all these years later, for getting sunburnt and hopping on a bike etc, to record that piece. I loved it. Nice to see Marcus and Jennifer as well.