Britain's Best Walks ITV

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Britain's Best Walks ITV

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Only just read your posting about the Golf Clubhouse, number 6.

I went into the clubhouse and asked them if there was any photos of Enid and her husband who once played golf here. The lady took me into the bar area and showed me the photo. I said I was a member of the Enid Blyton Society. So next time you're in that area, just go in again and ask. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Thanks, Julie! I'll certainly try again next time I'm in Dorset, which will be in July! :D
The Lady sounds quite friendly & approachable, unlike the chap I met! :roll:
sayantani

Post by sayantani »

Somehow the picture of the cottage is missing- I visited in 2016 and don't think I saw the cottage. Took several pictured in Goddlestone Heath in Studland.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Here you are sayantani...Mrs Layman's Cottage in 'Mystery to Solve'. It's called Agglestone Cottage and it looks across Godlingston Heath, with an excellent view down to Poole Harbour. The pic was taken several years ago from the Isle of Purbeck Golf Course. It is best seen from the 8th hole (?), where golfers tee-off. This is slightly elevated and has a good view (well, at the time it did!) of the cottage. It's situated to the East of the Clubhouse. However, tree growth may now obscure some of the view! Enid wouldn't have seen the Cottages lighter stone work, as this is a relatively later extension. There's a footpath that runs off the Studland road and passes by the cottage and onto the Heath. The pen tip marks the spot of the cottage on the map, and the relevant footpath to its left! Enid knew the owners of the cottage, and I think the lady of the cottage had something to do with golf course, but I can't recall the details offhand. I'd have to look it up. Enid did visit on a few occasions. Everything fits the description in the Mystery to Solve story, inc views down to Poole Harbour, etc, except that the cottage was never thatched! . :D

The hedge/treeline at the top of the pic marks the Corfe to Studland road. The Clubhouse is further to the right of the cottage as you look at it.

The best details for the area is the Purbeck & South Dorset OL15 Explorer Map.1:25 000 Scale- 2.5 inches to 1 mile.