The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Post by Lucky Star »

daanton wrote:As I had first guessed, Lucky Star.
D'oh that will teach me to look at dates properly. :oops: :oops:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

George@Kirrin wrote:Here's another bit of dubbing for you all (Apologies for my absence - I'll be back to being a pretty much daily visitor now)

In Demons Rocks, When they close the trapdoor on Ebby and Jacob, Julian is shouting up for Tinker and Anne to come down - he is a master of ventriloquism as his lips aren't moving....
Is it just me noticing this, or does it seem like there was more overdubbing in the 2nd Series/Season than in the 1st?
Famous Five TV Fan
petejt
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Re:

Post by petejt »

George@Kirrin wrote:In Five on Kirrin Island, the tunnel to the island is on the beach... or is it?

Julian Dick and Anne tell George they'll be at the end of the beach where they've found something rather interesting, yet later when they're in Kirrin Cottage, Dick says about it being in the quarry...
The quarry is over the ridge, behind the end of the beach. I guess it was a fine sand quarry.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

petejt wrote:
George@Kirrin wrote:In Five on Kirrin Island, the tunnel to the island is on the beach... or is it?

Julian Dick and Anne tell George they'll be at the end of the beach where they've found something rather interesting, yet later when they're in Kirrin Cottage, Dick says about it being in the quarry...
The quarry is over the ridge, behind the end of the beach. I guess it was a fine sand quarry.
Probably that is just saying the same thing. :)
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

There's a minor mistake in part 2 of Five get into trouble (& apologises if it's been mentioned previously). It's during the scene where the Five & Richard are walking to the gates & freedom after being released. Dick says 'Take it easy. We don't want them being suspicious'. There's then a close up of Dick & Anne, & in the background a Man & Women can just be seen walking along a path! They're clearly visitors to Exbury gardens, who just happened to get in shot!
Just wonder if the Director thought no one would notice the blurry figures in the background?! :D
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Interesting that one - it's crossed my mind too - I always assumed they were a couple of Perton's people. It's not Exbury by the way, it's Pylewell House in Lyndhurst - and that may be the answer. It's possible that we weren't *able* to stop people wandering around Pylewell like we were at Exbury and thery did indeed wander into shot and no one noticed until post, and thus it was too late.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Well-spotted, Number 6 - and thanks for the clarification regarding the location, Gary. I'll have to look out for that next time I watch Get Into Trouble!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:Interesting that one - it's crossed my mind too - I always assumed they were a couple of Perton's people. It's not Exbury by the way, it's Pylewell House in Lyndhurst - and that may be the answer. It's possible that we weren't *able* to stop people wandering around Pylewell like we were at Exbury and thery did indeed wander into shot and no one noticed until post, and thus it was too late.
Thanks for the info, Gary. Exbury House/gardens feature in the episode, but I didn't realise Pylewell house/gardens were used as well. Was Pylewell just used for certain scenes, because It looks as though both locations have been edited to knit together & become one place. :D
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

I think the iron gate scenes were filmed at Shotts Lane. Check Google Streetview:
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.7638955 ... 312!8i6656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the garden scenes, Exbury House was certainly involved. I also never thought about Pylewell house. Have to check that one when I watch the episode again... :)
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yep, Exbury House & gardens were used in the 'Trouble' episode, Luke. The House was Owls Dene, the pond was where the Five first meet Richard & where they were playing croquet on the lawn. There's also a bridge that Mr Perton travels under, then suddenly appears to be crossing over a few seconds later when Richard escapes in the boot! This is the bridge in Exbury gardens (Photo to follow). The 'Owls Dene' gates were indeed shot at the crossroads at Shotts lane/South Baddesley lane, East of Lymington. :D
There are scenes that aren't Exbury, as Gary points out. The gardens in some ways are quite similar to Pylewell, so it can be quite misleading at times!

Exbury House - Owls Dene.

Last edited by number 6 on 09 Dec 2019, 22:43, edited 3 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Luke, this is the bridge that Mr Perton is seen heading towards/crossing over in the part 2 of the trouble episode. In the first scene Mr Perton is seen driving up the lane towards the bridge with Richard in the boot. The camera is positioned on the bridge itself looking downwards to the oncoming car. Then in the second scene he's crossing over the bridge a few seconds later! Although the bridge isn't actually seen full on, it is definitely the one in Exbury gardens (with the lane seen below). However, If you wanted to walk along this particular lane, then you'd have to exit Exbury gardens car park, turn right & walk about 50 yards along Summer lane to a small lane on your right. This then soon passes under the bridge.

Last edited by number 6 on 09 Dec 2019, 22:45, edited 7 times in total.
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

number 6 wrote:Yep, Exbury House & gardens were used in the 'Trouble' episode, Luke. The House was Owls Dene, the pond was where the Five first meet Richard & where they were playing croquet on the lawn. There's also a bridge that Mr Perton travels under, then suddenly appears to be crossing over a few seconds later when Richard escapes in the boot! This is the bridge in Exbury gardens (Photo to follow). The 'Owls Dene' gates were indeed shot at the crossroads at Shotts lane/South Baddesley lane, East of Lymington. :D
That´s all right. Luke found the gate on google streetview. He took much time to find the locations. Here I have a photo from the gate
Image Image
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks O.Q.! Again, nice pics! Not much has changed really, except 30+ years of tree/vegetation growth!! :D
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

number 6 wrote:Not much has changed really, except 30+ years of tree/vegetation growth!! :D
Now it is 40 years!!!
Happy birthday Famous Five.
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

Thanks, number 6, for pointing out! I didn't realize the bridge was in Exbury Gardens! But you are right. I checked the scene again and the bridge seems to be the same one. It is difficult to see since the camera is inside the car and the bridge flies by, so to speak but the white pillars of the bridge are the same as on your picture. Great, another thing to explore next time!