The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Yan

Re: The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Post by Yan »

lwindrush wrote: Little mishaps and continuity errors occur in even the most big budget films so they never spoiled my enjoyment.
Nor do they spoil mine. I created this topic (all those years ago) only to make fans watch the episodes again and again and again and again and ...

And I think I succeed. :mrgreen:
Morgan Jones
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by Morgan Jones »

lwindrush wrote:Unless you were fairly affluent in the seventies most people had to rent TVs, from Granada or Radio Rentals, my sister remained me that we once had a black and white TV with a slot meter and you had to put 10p in the back to view it, sounds unthinkable nowadays when you can watch live TV in your smartphones, it's like living in the age if Star Trek, sorry for the lack of punctuation but I'm typing this on the train quickly because the woman sitting next to me is trying to read this.
I hope she managed to read your last sentence then!

Looking forward to trying to spot all these interesting goofs etc when watching the DVDs!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

We had a clock that you had to put money in to keep,it going. It was part of an insurance policy!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Just notice what I think is a mistake in Five Go To Mystery Moor.

When the girls are tied up in the shack, the door starts to creak open, the hinges are on the right hand side of the door. A couple of minutes later when help arrives the time the door's hinges are on the left hand side. I suppose there could be two doors into the shack, but I would have thought that was unlikely.
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Gosh, you are very observant, Katharine. I never notice anything - without it being pointed
out to me.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Francis, I wouldn't normally notice anything as minor as a door hinge. It was just that it was quite a dramatic bit, where the girls are scared as they think someone/thing is trying to get through the door, then in a later shot, someone does actually come in.
Society Member
petejt

Post by petejt »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I don't think has been mentioned before, but in Smugglers top, Sooty and Marybelle switch between calling Mr Lenoir "Father" and "Step-Father"
Sooty and Marybelle are actually half-siblings.

Sooty's mother re-married, then Marybelle was born. So Mr. Lenoir is Marybelle's father, and Sooty's step-father.

Remember the fact in the book that Mr. Lenoir is the cousin of Sooty's father, Mrs. Lenoir's first husband.
petejt

Post by petejt »

Katharine wrote:Just notice what I think is a mistake in Five Go To Mystery Moor.

When the girls are tied up in the shack, the door starts to creak open, the hinges are on the right hand side of the door. A couple of minutes later when help arrives the time the door's hinges are on the left hand side. I suppose there could be two doors into the shack, but I would have thought that was unlikely.
The odd thing I find in that scene, is the sound of a chook crowing outside…
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Not a mistake but certainly a special moment for all the fans of Julian and his fine physique...

Please no jokes about budgie smuggling....can you name the episode from studying the picture.. :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

From "Five On A Secret Trail". First they had encountered Guy the "mad boy" (before they would discover he was Guy's twin brother Harry) walking by them (away from the waterhole)... and now they discover "him" swimming there inviting them to join him!

And Dick himself is quite surprised: "How the heck...?"

As for Julian: "I dunno how he did it, but it's a good trick!"

Then with a "Bombs away!", Dick jumps in, then Julian, then Anne, and then George forward-dives in, to join Guy....!
Famous Five TV Fan
daanton

Post by daanton »

Forgive the double-post.... and I dunno if this is the right topic thread in which to post this.... but I've noticed a small but notable detail in "Five Have A Wonderful Time", small yet you would've missed it had you tuned out your ears for a second or two.

Specifically....

Well, first answer me this: what does the book say Professor Terry-Kane's first name is?

Then answer me this: what does Portman/Southern (or rather, Uncle Quentin) say it is?
Famous Five TV Fan
daanton

Post by daanton »

Petermax wrote:I do believe that I have spotted what is probably the second surviving road vehicle from the 70's series. While re-watching Five Get Into Trouble, I noticed an old Daimler during the chase scenes featuring Perton and Richard Trent. 1955 Daimler SOM 789 appears for only a few seconds, blink and you will miss it! A quick DVLA search revealed that this vehicle still exists and is taxed until June 2011.

I expect that the appearance of the Daimler was purely incidental, or perhaps it was borrowed/hired and used as a prop, who knows? :lol:

Lymington 1978. Richard Trent (Grant Bardsley) does a runner.
Anyone know or can guess what the car next to it is/was??
UPDATE: Never mind. Just found out: 1970-75 Hillman Avenger.
Here in Canada, we knew it as the Plymouth Cricket.
Famous Five TV Fan
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

How many years ago did I write this I wonder? Sadly that 1974 Hillman Avenger is no longer listed on the DVLA database, although that marvellous old Daimler is still going. :D
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

pete9012S wrote:Image

Not a mistake but certainly a special moment for all the fans of Julian and his fine physique...

Please no jokes about budgie smuggling....can you name the episode from studying the picture.. :D

Well spotted Pete. :lol: I believe it's from Five on a Secret Trail.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
daanton

Post by daanton »

As I had first guessed, Lucky Star.

Of course, this was just the second time we saw these Four do (or about to do) some swimming. The first time was in "Five Go Off in a Caravan" (although Jennifer didn't do much swimming actually), and the third time was in "Five Get Into Trouble" (and only the boys were swimming).

And as I recall, in either those other episodes, there was not much time to gawk at the boys' swimwear!

But perhaps, by the time of FGIT, we were probably wondering more as to how quickly the Four changed, especially the boys (the deeper voices)....!
Famous Five TV Fan