Tonight on tv!

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Tonight on tv!

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:I agree. I'm afraid I was a bit startled that IceMaiden, on another thread, told us she had bought a first edition of Five On A Treasure Island for £30 - with no wrapper.
I think you will find that it was actually a 3rd edition, Rob!
It sounded as if it was a first - or maybe a second? -

"I've just gone a bit mad on eBay and won a 1942 edition Five On a Treasure Island for £31 :shock: . I never expected to win, I though I'd have been well and truly outbid, got a shock when I came up as the winning bidder! I'm not complaining though, I never thought in a million years I'd get such an early edition at a price within my limits "

The most I ever paid for a Famous Five without a dust wrapper was when I first started collecting them in 2000 and I didn't really know what prices were common. That was £8 for my 1951 edition of Smuggler's Top!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

No, it was a 3rd, Rob, I checked it out on eBay when she first posted. Have a look at the fourth picture along. I actually have that edition myself as well as my 1st, I kept it as it has a perfect wrapper. As you can see there were three editions in 1942 and as a result they didn't need to bring the 4th out until 1947.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Five-on-a-Tre ... 7675.l2557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks Tony - I wondered if there were more than one or two editions for 1942, but was too lazy to check! ;-)

I certainly wouldn't pay £31 for a third edition without a wrapper (no disrespect to IceMaiden intended, by the way) - but then I'm very picky and prefer dust-wrappers, especially on my main series books. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I saw this programme this afternoon, and felt the price was surprisingly high. I think the man who sold it said he'd paid £800 and had never seen another for sale in 12 years. I forgot to check when the programme was made, but I'm sure I've seen them on E-bay from time to time, and they don't normally ask such a high figure. Although I'm happy to be corrected by anyone who knows differently. :D

I was also slightly alarmed that the man who bought it did so for his children, I hope they take good care of it. :cry:
Society Member