Blyton References on TV

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Moonraker

Re: Blyton References on TV

Post by Moonraker »

Mildly amusing, if ever-so slightly irritating.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:And when you think, she was really the first female writer (apart from Beatrix Potter, but her books are vastly different) to have mass market appeal, as many modern writers do now - and all without the help of the internet and television!
A few other female writers were very popular in Britain before/at the same time as Enid Blyton - e.g. Mrs. Molesworth, Frances Hodgson Burnett, E. Nesbit, Angela Brazil, Elinor M. Brent-Dyer and Noel Streatfeild. Enid Blyton benefited from having unusually close contact with her audience though (through Teachers World, Sunny Stories, Enid Blyton's Magazine, the PDSA magazine and the clubs she ran). And of course there was an extraordinary amount of merchandise based on her books.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Blyton might be the first author/ess to be a 'brand'. A visit to The (real) Cave would confirm her success as a 'brand'. :D I consider myself so lucky and privileged to have been granted access to the vast corridors and rooms of the Cave.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

This was on the Midlands News today. Reminded me of an Enid Blyton story! :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39193347
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

How did rabbits light all those candles?
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

With a box of matches or a Bic...?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Rob Houghton wrote:
floragord wrote:I was interested in the point made that all 3 of the participants had grown up in homes with large numbers of books, presumably that gives an advantage in developing an early and ongoing interest in reading?
From personal experience, I'd say yes - definitely. I was always read to as a very small child, and grew up with a love of books. My mom used to discuss the pictures with me, and ask me to point out things in them - she would read simple stories to me, and encouraged me to read Enid Blyton books, first reading the stories to me.

Books were very much a part of my life growing up. By the time I was 4 I could read quite complex sentences, which my mom built up out of flash-cards - and I could also read simple reading books. Many children these days can't even read when they start school, so its no wonder they find it hard work rather than fun when they eventually 'have' to learn to read. As was said in the interview - at school, reading simply becomes 'decoding' rather than being a fun warm moment between children and parents.
Good point - I'm always rather sad when people tell me the message "Reading Is A Waste of Time" was dinned into them at an early age, so they still feel guilty when they sit down with a book, and no doubt many who took it on board as gospel never get to enjoy one of the most pleasurable leisure activities of all
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was obviously influenced by my mom more than my dad, as he rarely ever read a book and still doesn't now. he doesn't even really read newspapers. He always used to say something along the lines of 'there are too many books to ever read, so why bother' lol. ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Similar story here - my mum's a huge reader but my dad isn't. He has a handful of books he has loved and now does read the odd Conn Iggulden and Game of Thrones type thing. He does read two newspapers every day though!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've always been grateful that both my parents were (and are) great readers. And Enid Blyton fans, at that! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:And when you think, she was really the first female writer (apart from Beatrix Potter, but her books are vastly different) to have mass market appeal, as many modern writers do now - and all without the help of the internet and television!
A few other female writers were very popular in Britain before/at the same time as Enid Blyton - e.g. Mrs. Molesworth, Frances Hodgson Burnett, E. Nesbit, Angela Brazil, Elinor M. Brent-Dyer and Noel Streatfeild. Enid Blyton benefited from having unusually close contact with her audience though (through Teachers World, Sunny Stories, Enid Blyton's Magazine, the PDSA magazine and the clubs she ran). And of course there was an extraordinary amount of merchandise based on her books.
I also want to add Mabel Esther Allen, Josephine Elder and Violet Needham in the list of popular female writers(children books). For some reasons, some Violet Needham's books are expensive.

But I think, one female writer who has been very popular for so long is Agatha Christie.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

sixret wrote:But I think, one female writer who has been very popular for so long is Agatha Christie.
Agreed - but I was thinking more of children's writers. :-D And most other children's writers of the early 20th century, apart from Beatrix Potter and E Nesbit, Arthur Ransom and AA Milne are now no longer in print in popular bookshops.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Exactly, Rob. The fact that most of EB and AC books have never been out of print is the undeniable evidence of their popularity.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Did anyone see the item on Midlands Today where a lady found a letter from Enid Blyton in a non-Blyton book in Hay-on-Wye? It was one of those congratulatory letters to a prize winner - Mary. I am guessing the main letter was a standard one where the winner's name was inserted later.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

There's a thread about it here, Daisy: http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... f=3&t=7529" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)