Jenny Thanisch/Child Actors

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Jenny Thanisch

Post by number 6 »

I agree, Poddys. Many fine Child actors have fallen by the wayside over the years. One of my favourites was Margaret O'brien from the 1940's. She was a superb actress, who could knock spots off many of the adult stars of her day. However, she fell out of favour when she reached her teens, like so many others before her, and never found regular acting work again. I'm sure some of our older society members can remember her. :D

I think Jennifer decided to walk away from the fickle acting business and get a proper job instead!! :D
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Very few child actors turn into successful adult actors. Macaulay Culkin was one of the most successful child actors ever, but at the age of 14 he vanished for ten years and since his reappearance he he has only picked up bits and pieces. A Major exception is Elijah Wood who has been constantly in work since the age of 8. I watched Empire of the Sun last night which starred 12 year-old Christian Bale and he has gone on to Hollywood A lists as an adult, bur these exceptions are few and far between and not many child actors from TV shows are ever heard of again.
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by poddys »

Another young actress who has done really well for herself is Tina Majorino.

"Who?" you might ask...

Did you ever see "Andre" that cute movie about a girl and a sealion? Or the girl out of Waterworld. Or Corinna Corinna (with Whoopie Goldberg). Or as Deb in Napoleon Dynamite.

She is currently in "Bones" as Special Agent Genevieve Shaw.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001499/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Post by Icecream342 »

Has the 1979 FF come out yet?
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I was actually reading an article the other day about the girl who played Mathilda and was also in Mrs Doubtfire though I can't quite remember her name - Mara something? She is now acting in theatre and has no desire to return to the 'big screen'.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Mara Wilson, I think. She was great in Matilda.

AnnaSophia Robb, who was marvellous (I think so anyway) in Bridge to Terabithia and who also appeared in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Because of Winn-Dixie and quite a lot of other things, is now 18 and still getting plenty of parts:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1455681/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

I wonder what happened to that child star Daniel Radcliffe?
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
7upromana01
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Really Famous, shadow.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Danger Bird
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by Danger Bird »

For someone who can't act very well, Daniel Radcliffe's done pretty well for himself!
Danger bird, he flies alone and he rides the wind back to his home
7upromana01
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

He done rubbishy in Chamber of Secrets. He done excellently in Deathly Hallows Part 2
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I think all the child actors in Harry Potter improved over the 8 films, and of course, with age. They were all a bit stilted and awkward in the early films. I don't know if it's that Daniel Radcliffe 'can't act' or that he was directed to act Harry in a particular way, but his constant I'm-so-desperately-tragic-and-I-must-sacrifice-myself-to-save-you-all attitude certainly began to grate on me by the end of the films. I know Harry had the same willingness to die to save everyone else in the book, but on screen it just seemed he was over playing the tortured soul.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

He got quite good reviews for his Broadway debut. :lol:

Harry Potter sings and dances mostly! :roll:
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Icecream342

Post by Icecream342 »

I don't understand Pippa.

I really enjoyed the 1st Harry Potter film.

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I agree that some of the acting in the early Harry Potter films was a little stilted compared to the later roles, but I can't help feeling that was probably more to do with the script and direction. In the second film there's the scene with flying car and the train which is different to the book. I've always felt it was just put in there to give the boys a chance to do a bit of screaming. I thought the acting in the final film was brilliant. I'm so pleased they used the same actors all the way through, so we could watch the characters mature.
poddys wrote:Heather Ripley and Adrian Hall who played Jemina and Jeremy Potts did precious little else after as well.

I find it quite surprising in some ways, considering their success in these movies.
I saw an interview with Heather Ripley about 10 years ago, and I think she said she didn't actually want to act any more. I know she was dreadfully homesick during the making of the film and kept crying for her father. In her teens she joined a anti-nucleaur protest about a submarine base.
Society Member
Icecream342

Post by Icecream342 »

Katharine wrote:...In the second film there's the scene with flying car and the train which is different to the book.

It is the same