New Zealand Adventure/Secret Series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: New Zealand Adventure/Secret Series

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

In answer to Dinah, the Adventure series DVD set includes a 45 minute feature about the making of the series. Among other things it shows how the secret passages were created, how Kiki was trained (more than one Kiki!) and footage from the auditions.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

So I guess it would be worth buying the Series on DVD?

Do you have the Secret Series as well? Is there one you like more than the others or should I say has the same plot as the books?
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

There are quite a lot more changes to the stories in the Secret series, with key characters being virtually unrecognisable, e.g. Mr. Arnold ("Thaddeus") and Dimmy (now a young woman named Ruby who can't cook!) New characters are introduced, Nora is Laura with strange powers, the children have a dog called Prince and the storylines have been altered or had a lot of material added in. I wouldn't be able to comment on individual episodes without watching them again, except to say that The Secret of Moon Castle is very peculiar indeed! The DVD set has no bonus material.

Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

Do you know if the first (Secret Island) is good? It's also the book I liked best and thought that the film might be good as well?
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The Secret Island doesn't stick to the book and there's one new element that I find silly but the story is interesting nevertheless in my opinion, especially the plot parallels that are introduced between what Thaddeus and Charlotte (new character) are going through, and what the children are going through.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Some weeks ago I bought the German DVD-set. In this set they kept the correct running order there unlike the English set in which they switched River and circus. Unfortunately there's no bonus material.
I also bought the new German set of the Secret series. They managed to put the five films into four DVDs, but it's extremely irritating that they put the second film (Secret of Spiggy Holes) as the fifth one, completely oblivious to the running order. It's really a pity that producers of the DVDs are so careless.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I recently started watching "Hercules - the legendary journeys", and in the first film a boy looked somehow familar. Looking at the credits later I was pleased that I had identified David Taylor (Jack) all right, but I had missed Peter Malloch (Philip) who had a short appearance in this film as well. I wonder if they knew that they had been in one film together before they filmed the adventure series, and if they had met there. As they didn't have scenes together it's quite possible they didn't meet then.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Wolfgang wrote: I also bought the new German set of the Secret series. They managed to put the five films into four DVDs, but it's extremely irritating that they put the second film (Secret of Spiggy Holes) as the fifth one, completely oblivious to the running order. It's really a pity that producers of the DVDs are so careless.
Hi Wolfgang,

Do the episodes all have the same length?
I noticed this is done quite often on classical music CD's when they contain 2 or 3 discs. For instance my collection of all 5 Beethoven piano concertos and my 4 Rachmaninoff piano concertos have no order, they put 1 and 3 on one disc and 2 and 4 on the other disc. I think it depends on the length of the piece. But that's o.k. with me.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

I think the episodes have more less the same length. I haven't watched them yet though.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

ENID BLYTON SECRET SERIES, THE Excerpt

Post by pete9012S »

Do we already have a thread topic on this that I have missed??

Yes - I've just done a merge! - Anita

Published on Jan 11, 2015

“Available on DVD through http://www.umbrellaent.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;”

In the rollicking grand tradition established by her high-spirited ADVENTURE SERIES, THE ENID BLYTON SECRET SERIES amps up the old-fashioned thrills and embarks on an exciting trip into the imagination of one of the most successful and celebrated children's authors of the 20th century.
Lovingly updated for a modern audience - with five action-packed stories set to enthrall a whole new generation – THE ENID BLYTON SECRET SERIES captures the essence of childhood adventure and runs with it!

Team up with eccentric explorer Thaddeus Arnold and his four children - Jack, Peggy, Mike and Laura as they embark on a perilous expedition to discover lost civilizations in Africa, mount a challenge against a villain’s plan to overthrow an esteemed king and pluck up the courage to foil a crazed scientist’s attempt at world domination.

Aided by their trusty pet companion Prince and feisty photo-journalist friend Charlotte, testing themes of courage and heroism along the way, these independent and intrepid children take up many an exciting challenge in the name and true spirit of fun and above all - friendship.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CT9ieGEdkM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: ENID BLYTON SECRET SERIES, THE Excerpt

Post by Daisy »

Well! I hardly think the name of Enid Blyton should be associated with that. It can only be in order to sell a new story by an unknown author. Anyone seeing this and then hunting out the Secret Series as we know and love it, will surely be completely mystified.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

A few years ago I noticed that our local library had several titles from the Secret series, but some were Enid Blyton's originals while others were novelisations of the New Zealand TV series. It would be very confusing for a reader to read a mixture of originals and TV novelisations because the names, family situation and style are so different.

Society Member
MrGoon
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers

Post by MrGoon »

Daisy wrote:Well! I hardly think the name of Enid Blyton should be associated with that. It can only be in order to sell a new story by an unknown author. Anyone seeing this and then hunting out the Secret Series as we know and love it, will surely be completely mystified.
I couldn't agree more!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It's just advertising the DVDs of the 1990s New Zealand TV series.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sorting through numerous unlabelled video cassettes, I've just stumbled across The Secret Island which I recorded from TV years ago. I've watched about 10 minutes so far - the jury is still out at the moment, but my initial thoughts are not very complimentary!!!!!! :evil:
Society Member