70s Famous Five on DVD

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: 70s Famous Five on DVD

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for that, Gary. You must have had a ball running around such lovely gardens and house. My own grandkids enjoyed it immensely, what a lucky group of youngsters you were, as well as giving us the pleasure of bringing the Famous Five to life. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)

Post by Deej92 »

Thanks, Gary. I've started watching the 70s series recently and have watched the three episodes so far - both parts of Five Go to Kirrin Island and Five Go Adventuring Again. I am more familiar with the 90s series, but I've really enjoyed watching all the episodes so far. All the actors/actresses who play Julian, Dick, Anne and George play a really good part which helps as they all seem such genuine fans of Enid Blyton, and the storylines are probably more detailed than the 90s version. One or two observations - both Uncle Quentin and George seem a lot less hot-headed in the 70s series than they do in the 90s series and book and I prefer the actor who plays Mr Roland in the 90 series. As for Timmy, I'm not sure either the 70s or 90 series depict him how I imagined although the 90s series is closer to how I do see him.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have enjoyed my recent re-run of the 70s' series much more than I expected to. Maybe it is because I have watched them in the company of a six year-old! There is now an element of nostalgia in them, as when I first watched them the fashions and buses were current!
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I'm so impressed with Exbury Gardens, and the view overlooking the river Beaulieu is lovely.8)
Have you ever visited Bucklers hard, Julie? It's located on the opposite side of the river to Exbury, not far from Beaulieu. It's an historic shipbuilders quay, with beautiful cottages running down to the river. One of the cottages is a pub & one is a chapel. Wonderful views & a lovely river walk/river cruise. The downside...its a private village & there is a fee to pay! I visited it a few years ago...in glorious sunshine! :D
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I have the leaflet on Buckler's Hard, number 6, but as yet have not visited, but it is on the cards still for this year. :D

8)

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Good show! Hope you find it as interesting as I did! :D
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

As I visited Highcliff Castle last week, I thought I'd look at the episode of 'Sea' to see Highcliffe on that episode. It really has changed a lot now, and no longer is derelict.

Here is the 'now' Highcliffe Castle.

8)

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Lovely photo, Julie. Looks like you had good weather! It's been about 3 years since I last visited Highcliffe. I like to take the boat from Christchurch, alight at Mudeford beach & take the ferry over to Mudeford quay. From here I have a pleasant stroll along the coastal path to the Castle. A lovely walk, with views of the thick trees & beach seen in Five fall into adventure. There is access to the beach via some steps by the coastal path. My return journey is along the beach back to Mudeford quay. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 26 Aug 2016, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sounds lovely number 6. When we went to Highcliffe, we parked at the car park about 10 mins walk from the castle and walked along the sea path, then up to Highcliffe from the beach. It's a lovely area as of course the weather does make a difference. :)

8)

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yes, I agree. A beautiful area indeed, & the weather is certainly a major player! Mind you, I've been to Highcliffe about 3 times & I've always been blessed with lovely sunny weather! :D