Enid Blyton Biopic on BBC 4 - 'Enid'

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Enid Blyton Biopic on BBC 4 - 'Enid'

Post by Keith Robinson »

I haven't seen any of BBC4's biopics (cuz we don't get BBC4 where I live) but this sounds interesting:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/ma ... bc4-biopic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: Enid Blyton Biopic on BBC4

Post by Aurélien »

Nix on BBC4 (or any other BBC channel except excerpts from the BBC News) out here in Kiwiland also, Keith...but thanks for posting the link. The programme concept certainly has potential, so let's hope *crosses fingers* that it's not mishandled in practice.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It looks as if it could be quite interesting - I'll keep 'em peeled.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Sounds promising!

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

That'll be interesting. Must keep a look out for that one. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Timmy-the-dog
Favourite book/series: Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Me!!

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

No need to worry about not getting BBC4 - They are just the section of the BBC who commissioned the film from Carnival Film and Television. Shooting begins at the end of next week and the 1st screening will be toward the end of the year - probably as part of the BBC autumn drama schedule of programmes. This film will almost certainly be shown across the BBC network of channels including on BBC 1 or 2
I'm not in it but Bobs will be - grrrr :wink:
cheers
Timmy
woof,woof!!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Great news Timmy. I should be able to see it if its on BBC1 or 2. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Can you not get BBC4 in Surrey, John? The great Digital Switchover is not too far away, the map will tell you when!
Society Member
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

I dont watch a great deal of TV Nigel so I only have the four basic channels. I keep meaning to upgrade but have'nt got around to it yet. :roll:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Timmy-the-dog

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Hey Lucky Star - you won't have any trouble viewing!! :D
I guess I should spill the beanz - I'm doing a bit on the new Blyton film as a Blyton Book advisor at present - they are using my collection throughout the movie - furnishing the shelves in Enid's study and using individual books in many of the scenes. It's very complicated getting the correctly dated books matching the dates of the action - they can't have 1940's editions on camera in 1930's scenes etc!! It's all to do with creating mockups of the books also as they obviously can't use the real 1st editions in reading or booksigning scenes.
They are taking a real lot of trouble to get all the small details correct throughout the story, which covers several decades. I hadn't released this info on the Soc forums up to now as aspects are still being finalised evidently- got the OK this morning. Filming starts next week and I'm up visiting on set the week after - really looking forward to seeing the recreation of Green Hedges!!
cheers
Timmy
Last edited by Timmy-the-dog on 07 Mar 2009, 04:51, edited 2 times in total.
woof,woof!!
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I don't think you will be very popular with Carnival as they haven't given out a press release of the cast yet!! I was asked to remove the bit of the message on the Message Board that said that anybody lending things would be welcome on set - as they certainly wouldn't be! I was also asked not to post another message that we have recently received as that also revealed the name of the actress playing Enid.
Timmy-the-dog

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Hi Tony
I checked during a telephone call with the art director this morning and was told there was no problem with any of the info I have posted here. don't know where the "lending things" bit on the message board came from - certainly not from here!! The film promises to be a real goodie and they were keen that the society members knew what was happening
cheers
timmy
woof,woof!!
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am not too sure who it was that wanted the Society Members to know about it, but it wasn't anybody at Carnival who are actually making the film, because I was specifically asked to say nothing about it publicly until the official Press release. I have known about it for two years as the head of pre-production at Carnival and the initial script writer came to the Enid Blyton Day in 2007. I then gave them contact details for both Barbara Stoney and Imogen. It was originally intended to be filmed in the late summer last year and screened in the autumn, but there have been various delays and complications. About six months ago they promised to send someone to the Enid Blyton Day this year to tell us about it and I am still hopeful of this after recent conversations with Carnival.

You are right about the 'lending' bit, that came in a separate email to me from someone gathering props for the BBC, the message on the Message Board used the word 'hire', but that was also posted from someone who works for the BBC props department (Jo) and not by anyone from Carnival!
Timmy-the-dog

Post by Timmy-the-dog »

Hi Tony -Obviously don't want to create any problems for you here - Maybe the Art director wasn't aware of
there not being an official press release as of today.

I've edited my original message - hope that helps
cheers
Timmy
woof,woof!!
Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Well it all certainly sounds terribly exciting, whether we are meant to know it or not. I recall the original message on the homepage but thought little of it at the time. It would be great indeed to learn more at the EBS day in Twyford if it were possible. Timmy I envy you you lucky old dog . :D :wink:

Society Member