Michael Hinz RIP

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Re: Michael Hinz RIP

Post by Nick »

Best wishes to his family.

RIP Uncle Q
Society Member
Yan

Post by Yan »

RDMorrell wrote:
Gary Russell wrote:
RDMorrell wrote:If I recall rightly, Sue Best, who played Aunt Fanny, also died a few years ago of cancer or something.
I wasn't aware of this. Oh what a shame. Where did you find that snippet of info from? I often wondered what happened to Sue.
I'm very sorry for never answering this question, but I didn't actually see it until today! :oops:

The site where I saw info about Sue Best's death was this one, I think:

http://www.fuenffreundefanpage.at/de_treffen04.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The key sentence is:
In der Frage- u. Antwort-Stunde konnte man viel erfahren z.B.

daß Tante Fanny (Sue Best) vor 2 Jahren gestorben sei.

Translated, this says:

"In the question and answer hour, we learned a great deal, e.g.

that Aunt Fanny (Sue Best) died two years ago."

That was written in 2004, so if true, it means she must have passed away in 2002.

No mention of cancer (apart from Toddy). So maybe I got the cancer part mixed up with Toddy, or perhaps I read about Sue Best having cancer somewhere else (blessed if I can find it now though!).
Yan

Post by Yan »

Sorry, but I could not edit my last post. I just wanted to tell you, that this article was written for the German fanpage by it’s webmaster in 2004. It is about a meeting between German fans with Marcus and Gary. So I always thought the webmaster got this information about Sue Best from Gary and Marcus (???)
Leslie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Leslie »

Sad news. I liked Michael Hinz as Uncle Quentin. :cry:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Leslie wrote:Sad news. I liked Michael Hinz as Uncle Quentin. :cry:
I am sure he was an excellent actor, but I always thought he was a pretty dreadful Uncle Quentin. I guess that we all draw up different images of how characters appear - I wonder how much they differ? However, Mr Hinz, to me, was no Quentin. Only my opinion, of course, as others here have expressed their appreciation of his role. Mind you, I found the actor playing Quentin in the 90s series even more dreadful!
Society Member
Leslie
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Leslie »

Moonraker wrote:
Leslie wrote:Sad news. I liked Michael Hinz as Uncle Quentin. :cry:
I am sure he was an excellent actor, but I always thought he was a pretty dreadful Uncle Quentin. I guess that we all draw up different images of how characters appear - I wonder how much they differ? However, Mr Hinz, to me, was no Quentin. Only my opinion, of course, as others here have expressed their appreciation of his role. Mind you, I found the actor playing Quentin in the 90s series even more dreadful!
I have to add that there was the odd occasion when I thought he was too nice!
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

A good Actor, sadly no longer with us, a very good Quentin Kirrin, in the 1970's TV version of The Famous Five, apart from The Famous Five, the other role of Michael Hinz's, that really stands out for me is, an uncredited appearance in the film The Longest Day (1962), in which Michael played Manfred Rommel (son of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel), in The Longest Day, Erwin Rommel, was played by Michael's real life father Werner Hinz, below is a screencap of Michael Hinz.

From part two of the two part story - Five Go to Kirren Island (1978).

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Every time I watch the Famous Five 1978, I think how great Michael was as an actor! How I love his way of speaking. I think he is excellent. :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member