TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

number 6 wrote:
Oh dear! The fake Tunnel had me guessing & scratching my head for ages. I think right up until several years ago when Gary Russell told us it wasn't real! I had already visited Marchwood on a few occasions by 1998 & I was convinced the 'long' tunnel was somewhere on the fenced off land near the station. Oh, how wrong I was!! :lol: :roll:
On the german fansite, there is a picture, you can see how they "faked" the tunnel entrance and more other very interesting informations.
Here is the link:

http://www.fuenffreundefanpage.at/de_res-g.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you like it.
Onkel Quentin

Post by Onkel Quentin »

pete9012S wrote:See the gates - which ones can the Five climb over??

https://imgur.com/a/G5QEX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is a very nice collection of gates. I like the old picture style.
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Onkel Quentin wrote:
number 6 wrote:
Oh dear! The fake Tunnel had me guessing & scratching my head for ages. I think right up until several years ago when Gary Russell told us it wasn't real! I had already visited Marchwood on a few occasions by 1998 & I was convinced the 'long' tunnel was somewhere on the fenced off land near the station. Oh, how wrong I was!! :lol: :roll:
On the german fansite, there is a picture, you can see how they "faked" the tunnel entrance and more other very interesting informations.
Here is the link:

http://www.fuenffreundefanpage.at/de_res-g.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you like it.
Does anyone know what the two blurred photos showing people filming is from?
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

ONKEL QUENTIN...

The 'Tunnel' entrance in Five on Kirrin Island was fake. The scene where the Five are seen at the entrance on the beach, I think, was filmed on Lepe. The interior of the tunnel was, I imagine, filmed in the basement of Exbury House. I think Gary once mentioned this in an earlier post. If not, then I'm sure he'll enlighten us. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 06 Feb 2018, 16:56, edited 1 time in total.
Onkel Quentin

Post by Onkel Quentin »

number 6 wrote:
The 'Tunnel' entrance in Five on Kirrin Island was fake. The scene where the Five are seen at the entrance on the beach was filmed on Lepe.
I search for the entrance. Every year, when i was in Lepe, i thought, tis must be the right area. But i couldn´t find it. Is the place down on the beach under the street or is it under the parking area above the Lepe Beach Cafe?
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the scene was shot beyond the cafe & round the headland, ie head East away from the cafe car park. It's location is on a bit of grassland above the beach. However, I've not been to Lepe beach for a number of years, so my memory is a bit clouded. I've not watched the episode for ages & I could be mistaken! Will have a look later & see if I remember. There's a big anchor on the grass at the East side, as well. It's around here that they shot the scene of the 'Fake' Kirrin island, which was painted on glass! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 06 Feb 2018, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Ahhh..now then, I've just looked at the Tunnel scene in On Kirrin island again, & i'm not too sure it was filmed at Lepe. I had notes on this particular scene years ago, but they're lost. I'll hand this one over to Gary Russell, as I'm quite sure he mentioned this before. The scenes on the beach leading up to the tunnel scenes were definitely filmed at Lepe beach. :D
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

number 6 wrote:There's a big anchor on the grass at the East side, as well. It's around here that they shot the scene of the 'Fake' Kirrin island, which was painted on glass! :D
You say anchor...that reminds me of when I was there 2 years ago:

But I did not see a tunnel (nor was I aware that that was the place where they shot the Kirrin island scenes) :lol:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Great pic, Luke! I think I remember Gary saying something about the fake Kirrin island scene being shot in the area of the anchor & that the tunnel was also a fake.
Looking at the episode earlier, it does appear as if the beach scene was done at Lepe & the tunnel scenes filmed in a completely different area to Lepe. However, I could be wrong. I think Gary may prove me wrong. :D
Onkel Quentin

Post by Onkel Quentin »

There must be the street above the tunnel entrance, where the police was stopped. And on the right side of the tunnel entrance, the land is flatter, there are trees in the background. On Lepe beach, there is a small river, the water flows under the street and into the sea. I searched the location there, but i think the ground level difference is not enough. I hope you can understand what i mean.
Then i searched also at the beaulieu train station, where the road leads over the railway line. But i couldn´t find it.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I hope I'm not being incredibly thick, but why are you Onkel Quentin and not Uncle Quentin?

Edit: Just had a thought. Maybe onkel is German for uncle. :oops:
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It is!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Onkel Quentin wrote:There must be the street above the tunnel entrance, where the police was stopped. And on the right side of the tunnel entrance, the land is flatter, there are trees in the background. On Lepe beach, there is a small river, the water flows under the street and into the sea. I searched the location there, but i think the ground level difference is not enough. I hope you can understand what i mean.
Then i searched also at the beaulieu train station, where the road leads over the railway line. But i couldn´t find it.
I understand you perfectly, O.Q. It is a good explanation. Think I'll watch the episode again sometime over the next few days & see if it jog's my memory regarding the notes I wrote about Lepe beach a few years ago. As I've stated before, the notes were a valuable aid to help me remember the locations. Otherwise, a lot of the locations get muddled up in my head! :roll:
Onkel Quentin

Post by Onkel Quentin »

I will do the same in the next days and watch the scenes, too.
I think it is also possible, that the course of the road at Lepe Beach has been changed. But i will be there in may and inspect it again.....again.....aigain.......again.........again .........again........again........ :)
number 6

Post by number 6 »

That's brilliant, Onkel Quentin! I hope your persistence pays off for you in May. It won't be long before you're here!! :D