TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by number 6 »

Not a F5 location as such, but one of interest. The pic shows the other side of the wooden building where James Gatwood & his Wife stayed during filming. This was taken from the private back garden at Gatewood House. I'm interested to know if Gary had any idea what the adjoining building was used for. Did he & the others explore them, like they did with Gatewood House?

Last edited by number 6 on 13 Oct 2019, 22:08, edited 2 times in total.
Bam

Post by Bam »

Thanks for the info, number 6. :) I've just been watching 'Together Again' and must say the tower looks so real. It's very well done. Some scenes do seem to be inside Gatewood, especially where Mr. Tapper comes to the house, and what about that dining room with the French windows? Could be Exbury too, I suppose.

I did notice that there were garage doors present in the episode, they weren't that dark blue, but there were definitely doors there. Unless they weren't there when the actors actually stayed in the house?
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gatewood house does indeed have French Windows, Bam, as you can probably make out from the pic below. I remember being in the back room at Gatewood, looking through similar Windows & out on to the beautiful back garden, so I say you're 100% right. Anyway, I don't think Exbury House has any French Windows, but Gary will probably know. If only I could lay my hands on the Gatewood interior photos, then I'd know for definite! :evil:
The front of Gatewood house is used and can be seen in the Together again episode and I think the garage doors were White! :D

Last edited by number 6 on 18 Oct 2019, 15:38, edited 4 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

The Watch house at Lepe beach, Mr Curton's abode in Five on Kirrin Island again. This is where Julian, Dick & Anne climb the steps after talking to Mr Curton, who was sitting on the rocky outcrop next to the Watch house. :D

Last edited by number 6 on 13 Oct 2019, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Five on Kirrin Island is one of my favourite episodes. Mr. Curton is fabulous! I love the Watch House and I'm glad it's still there. An inviting-looking building in a lovely location.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yes, it's a lovely area, Anita. You can see the Isle of Wight in the distance, just beyond the Watch house! Lepe Country park is a great place to spend an hour or so. It's only a five minute drive from Exbury gardens, & is quite handy if you're waiting for the gardens to open! :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sounds great, Number 6!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

The lovely Exbury House. Owls Dene in 'get into trouble' & the Ministry for the environment in 'On Kirrin Island again'. The interior of the House & the surrounding gardens were used extensively during the series, & are a Mecca for F5 fans! :lol:
Exbury village is just a few mins walk away from the House, where other locations can be found, ie Entrance to Richards Aunts house/& village roads in 'Get into trouble' & The Pub in 'On Kirrin Island again'. Incidentally, the Pub was called 'The Plough'! :D

Last edited by number 6 on 13 Oct 2019, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:
Thanks Gary! Another great snippet of info. I didn't know the Tower was a bit of trick photography. Quite good really. Should've guessed, because of the expense of building such a construction. I actually thought it was a one-sided wooden frame with some cheap panelling attached, with a bits & bobs added...then painted!
You're right, part of it was an upright extension that the glass shot added to
Gary Russell

Post by Gary Russell »

We used the interior of Gatewood for the inside of Prof Hayling's house in Together Again and (I think) a couple of Kirrin Cottage interiors in Run Away Together - don't hold me to that one though
Last edited by Gary Russell on 06 Feb 2017, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Russell

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:Not a F5 location as such, but one of interest. The pic shows the other side of the wooden building where James Gatwood & his Wife stayed during filming. This was taken from the private back garden at Gatewood House. I'm interested to know if Gary had any idea what the adjoining building was used for. Did he & the others explore them, like they did with Gatewood House
I dont think that building existed back then
Gary Russell

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:Gatewood house does indeed have French Windows, Bam, as you can probably make out from the pic below. I remember being in the back room at Gatewood, looking through similar Windows & out on to the beautiful back garden, so you could well be right! :D I'm not sure if Exbury House has any French Windows, but Gary will probably know. If only I could lay my hands on the Gatewood interior photos, then I'd know for sure! :evil:

Yes the French Windows were there. I *think* that's the Hayling room rather than the middle set of windows. Upstairs top right is my old bedroom, upstairs top left was Marcus's. The middle windows are the room where guest stars like Rupert Graves etc stayed
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks Gary! Quite interesting to know that the buildings on the back, next to the wooden construction, weren't there during your stay at Gatewood. I think you once told me where your bedroom was, but not Marcus's or the guest actors. Once again, great little snippets of info! Did Jennifer & Michelle sleep at the front of the house? :D

I once read that you'd all play games in a wood nearby whilst stopping at Gatewood. Was this in the small wooded area at the bottom of the garden? If so, have you any memories that stand out of the things you got up to!? :D

Thanks also, Gary, for answering Bam's query regarding the interior filming at Gatewood.
It wasn't until I watched 'together again' last night, for the second time in a week, that I realised that the interior of Gatewood was used in this episode. The penny dropped & I suddenly knew I'd seen those French doors from the inside before! :roll:
Gary Russell

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:Thanks Gary! Quite interesting to know that the buildings on the back, next to the wooden construction, weren't there during your stay at Gatewood. I think you once told me where your bedroom was, but not Marcus's or the guest actors. Once again, great little snippets of info! Did Jennifer & Michelle sleep at the front of the house? :D

I once read that you'd all play games in a wood nearby whilst stopping at Gatewood. Was this in the small wooded area at the bottom of the garden? If so, have you any memories that stand out of the things you got up to!? :D
The girls had the entirety of the attic to themselves, and the tiny windows for their rooms are only visible at the front. And yes the woods I told you about were indeed at the foot of the garden. Again I think we made use of them in Run Away Together and possibly one other. But I'm not sure. I may be misrembering.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:The girls had the entirety of the attic to themselves, and the tiny windows for their rooms are only visible at the front. And yes the woods I told you about were indeed at the foot of the garden. Again I think we made use of them in Run Away Together and possibly one other. But I'm not sure. I may be misrembering.
Cheers Gary! Unfortunately, I didn't get as far as the attic when I visited Gatewood House, as I didn't want to appear to be pushing my luck with the owner! Loved to have had a quick peek, though! I bet Jenny & Michelle thoroughly enjoyed having the attic to themselves! I love the house. It's like a tardis. It appears a lot bigger once you're inside, than it does from the outside...or is that my imagination? It's so quirky & full of character. It must've been brilliant spending so much time there in the Summer, having plenty of fun. :D

I've not watched the series for a while, except for a few last week, so I can't remember which episodes may have featured the wood at Gatewood House. Think one may be 'Together again'. Does that ring a bell? :D