TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by number 6 »

Looking the opposite way from the last pic of Blackwater house drive towards the exit, which was seen on a few occasions in the series. Mr Luffy whizzing past in his car & nearly forgetting to pick the Five up, in 'Go off to camp', springs to mind. :D

Last edited by number 6 on 14 Oct 2019, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

The back of St leonards farm (North) where some of the Finniston farm filming took place. The grassy area looks nice & neat compared to 40 years ago, when it was quite rough. The barn (near White car) is where Julian and Dick are housed in the episode. The second pic shows the farm from the South side. :D

Last edited by number 6 on 14 Oct 2019, 20:35, edited 5 times in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Lovely photos, Number 6. Keep 'em coming. Blackwater House is beautiful.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Where about is Blackwater House, number 6. You may have mentioned it before, and apologies if you have. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

And again.... very nice pictures, number 6!
Now, 40 years later, most places are unchanged, that's what I like in your country.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Where about is Blackwater House, number 6. You may have mentioned it before, and apologies if you have. :)
Hi Julie. Blackwater house is roughly 7 miles East of Lymington & 6 miles South of Beaulieu. It is clearly marked on the New Forest Explorer Map OL 22, which shows the area in great detail. However, to help pinpoint the location easier, then imagine your driving from Lymington along the B3056 road to Beaulieu. Just before Beaulieu, turn right & follow the signs for Bucklers hard & St Leonards. Ignore the left turn off for B/hard & continue along the road towards St Leonards. In another 2 miles you'll see a ruined barn & St Leonards farm ahead. Follow the road round a sharp right bend past the barn & you'll come to Warren lane 50 yards on your left. This is the entrance to Blackwater house. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 07 Aug 2017, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Onkel Quentin wrote:And again.... very nice pictures, number 6!
Now, 40 years later, most places are unchanged, that's what I like in your country.
Thanks, O.Q. Not exactly good photos, but they'll have to do for now. The weather in Dorset/New Forest isn't exactly great at the moment. It's been very unsettled all week. Not very good for taking photos! For this reason I've been limited to the amount of locations I can visit. The nocturnal wildlife study has also been affected & I've had to abandon some night watching due to adverse weather conditions! :|
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Lovely photos, Number 6. Keep 'em coming. Blackwater House is beautiful.
Thanks, Anita. I'll try, but the weather hasn't been that good to take photos. Very hit & miss at the mo. :|
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

Hello number 6, here I have two pictures from Five go off to camp

On this picture, you can see the place, where the children mount the tent.

and this is the place, where Anne gets water.

I am sure, number 6, you know this places, and you have been there, because you are near!

:D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Nice pics, O.Q. Were they taken on your last visit to the NF? Yes, I know the Gatewood Bridge area really well & have been on numerous occasions! If the weather permits, then I should be there on Monday. Your first pic shows where the Circus camp was sited in 'Go off in a caravan. :D

I've got more photos, but tiny pic won't allow me to download at the moment! :|
Last edited by number 6 on 09 Apr 2021, 21:03, edited 2 times in total.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

number 6 wrote: I've got more photos, but tiny pic won't allow me to download at the moment! :|
The resizing feature is the problem with me, at the moment. I have to resize first then upload for it to work.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks for that, Moonraker! Maybe that's the problem & I've not realised it! I'm in Swanage at the moment & it could also be something to do with the Internet connection. I'm not good with this sort of thing. :D
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

number 6 wrote:The b&w photo of the kids running in the IMDb link in the coastal scene, is the entrance to Lulworth Cove. The photo below, of the rocky outcrop entrance formation, is identical to the one in your link, but taken from a different angle. The black & white photo (IMDb) was taken from the white cliffs on the left side in the photo, looking towards the cliff entrance on the right( where the castle is superimposed!). It shows the same rocky entrance as LC! Also, to be 100% sure, look at the smaller photos in your first link. Compare the b&w rocky outcrop photo (showing part of the cove entrance) to the photo below. It's the same. Case solved, Mr Holmes! :D
Sorry this has taken me so long to answer. Sometimes e-mails/notifications disappear at the bottom of my inboxes, before I have enough time to scroll further down, because I'm desperately trying to catch up/keep up with the new e-mails at the top of the inboxes. :oops:

Yes, we've walked all the way from the big parking lot to Lulworth Cove (passing Stairhole where the boat landing scenes of 1957 FOATI were filmed), but I didn't realize at the time that that's where it was filmed.
Thank you, Dr. Watson. 8) 8) 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Onkel Quentin wrote:My last visit was this year in may, only for two days. The first day, the weather was good (no rain). On the second day it rained till I entered my plane.
I usually stayed for 23 or 24 days in the UK and had at the most 5 rainy days, often even less than that. You just need to bring rain coats/Friesennerze and rubber boots (I think they call them MacIntosh in England?) and enough to read. :D
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Gary Russell wrote:Sadly no, I have no paperwprk for Secret Trail at all, so couldn't tell you where the house is/was. It was in the middle of nowhere, accessed via a long windy drive I seem to recall. There was a huge field nearby where I did my Season 1 postcard photo session that ended up with me getting my subsequent lifelong terror of cows!! A stupid fear I know, but sadly, a real one.
Thank you, Gary. 8)
That's alright, at least now I can keep my imagination of "Secret Trail" from reading the book multiple times.

I can relate to your fear of cows. I've met a herd of cows/bulls once while searching Menabilly near Fowey, Cornwall. There was the usual climb over (sorry, no word is offered for that in my online translator, the German word is Zaunstieg and most German Anglophiles are familiar with the word, it's almost like a ladder, but not as high) to cross the fence, but no cows that I've noticed.
While crossing the field, at least 8 or 10 cows and bulls came running out of nowhere and I just made it in time over the next climb over.
I didn't wear anything red. Maybe they just wanted to socialize? :D
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock