TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by number 6 »

Luke told me that you'd booked your flights, etc, in the knowledge that the May meet up at Exbury was still going ahead. I felt quite bad that you'd gone to all that trouble, only to find out it wasn't going to happen! I hope you feel that it was still worth your time coming over on your own & visiting the F5 locations, with the bonus/privilege of staying in some fabulous hotels as well. :D
Hopefully, We can make a decision for a meet up next year as quickly as possible..& stick with it this time! :D
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:Gary Russell, Sir, Were you at Poole quay in Dorset around Mid-June? I may be wrong, but I saw someone who looked remarkably like you! Ok, it was from a distance, but I don't think my eyesight is that bad..yet! I think you may have been with a few other folk. I didn't see them clearly, so I couldn't be sure they were with you. I didn't like to approach you, as I didn't want to be seen as interfering in your business or being a nuisance. I don't like invading other people's space at the best of times! I've not said anything up to yet, because I've only just remembered! Apologises if I'm mistaken. :D
Oh Ade!!!!! You should have! Mainly cos the "few other folk" were Marcus and Jen!!!! And a crew from The One Show, doing a piece on the 75th anniversary for later this year.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Oh!!!! If I'd thought at the time you wouldn't have minded, then I would've loved to come over to say a quick hello & then been on my way. Maybe next time, eh?! I hope you all enjoyed your little adventure to Brownsea island.
I look forward to the article on the One Show later this year. Thanks for replying. :D
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

number 6 wrote:Luke told me that you'd booked your flights, etc, in the knowledge that the May meet up at Exbury was still going ahead. I felt quite bad that you'd gone to all that trouble, only to find out it wasn't going to happen! I hope you feel that it was still worth your time coming over on your own & visiting the F5 locations, with the bonus/privilege of staying in some fabulous hotels as well. :D
Hopefully, We can make a decision for a meet up next year as quickly as possible..& stick with it this time! :D
That's no problem. I hope I can come next year and meet you all. Perhaps I meet Luke, we only had contact with emails, and he did so much for me. He always informed me, when new locations get public and he sent me photos from the scenes in the film, so I was able to compare the reality with the film.
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

Thanks, Onkel Quentin. I think it is due to the existence of this forum or thread and its fans that most of the TV locations have been discovered. Great photos by the way, I hadn't seen those from inside Rhinefield House yet.

So, Number 6, you seem to have been almost to every 78/79 location already, Any location you haven't been to or you would really visit again? Thanks for posting the link of Charlotte Avery, always interesting how actors are looking today.

I haven't anything planned for 2017, but I plan to visit the region in 2018, end of June or beginning of July.
This time with a car though, although being on the Tour Bus has got its charms as well. :wink:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Hi Luke. I think I've done the vast majority of the locations over the years..some way before the topic on this forum existed! Without my lost notes/photos, which were a mine of information on the series, inc locations, etc, I can't be 100% sure. I relied on these to jog my memory! My notes did, I think, point to a few other locations not mentioned on this site before, but I can't remember where these places are, or from which episodes they were related to! That's how bad my memory has become! What locations would I like to visit or re-visit? Since you mentioned Castle Hill near Burley, I think I'd possibly like to go there. I can't be sure whether I've been there or not. I never know if I have until something clicks in my head & I realise I've been before. This happened recently. I think it was the gates at Pylewell house, used in the Trouble episode. I thought it was a new location for me, until Gary mentioned Pylewell..& suddenly the penny dropped & I knew I'd been three or four years ago!. :D

I'll be in Dorset for 2 wks from 22nd July, so I will no doubt be popping over to the New Forest at some stage. I'll visit a few locations whilst I'm there. Castle Hill & maybe a few others. :D
Are there any places you'd like to visit or re-visit? Maybe You, Onkel Quentin & myself should meet up one day & do as many locations as we can! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 13 Feb 2021, 13:26, edited 1 time in total.
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

Well I have been to Exbury Gardens (naturally the first choice) and everything in the neighborhood (Exbury, Gatewood bridge and Lepe). But when I was there I was missing a few spots, due to ignorance or time running out in order to catch the bus. Therefore, I surely will go to the gardens again and check out the place where the caravan allegedly has been standing (Quentin has been there).

I was walking past Gatewood house but didn't realize it was used in "are together again". I think you have to go around the barn to get to the actual front of the house.

I have been to Castle Hill, Burley and Hurst Lighthouse in one day and it was marvelous. The beach at Milford-on-sea is great as well with a clear view to the Isle of Wright. Much better than in Lepe.

I still have to go to Highcliffe castle and beach, Mudeford, Marchwood and explore some of the cottages or farms, although most of them are private so you never know if you can get there or the dogs will chase you :?
Burley was great as well, tiny village but very nice with horses dozing near the street.
I stayed in a B&B in Brockenhurst and will either stay there or in Burley.
Sure it would be great to meet, I will tell you when I'll be there next year.
You were talking about this year in July when you are in Dorset? So it won't be far from Dancing Ledge I think... :wink:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Hi Luke. I always stay in Swanage when I visit Dorset, & Dancing Ledge is only a few miles along the coastal path from there. I've been countless times, so it's low on my list of re-visits. The German F5 Fansite has one of my Dancing Ledge photos on their webpage, along with a few others of Gatewood house/bridge. They credited the photos to Adrian Wood. They got my first name right, but I don't know where they got Wood as my surname from! :D

The first location I ever visited was Gatewood Bridge. This was two years after the filming of the F5 series! My family were on holiday close by & we picnicked by the stream. I've been back quite a few times since then & is one of my favourite locations to visit. :D

All the locations you mention are all great in their own right, & I still enjoy visiting every one of them! 8)
Onkel Quentin

Post by Onkel Quentin »

number 6 wrote:The German F5 Fansite has one of my Dancing Ledge photos on their webpage, along with a few others of Gatewood house/bridge. They credited the photos to Adrian Wood. They got my first name right, but I don't know where they got Wood as my surname from! :D
8)
Hello number 6, my english is not so perfekt, but does this mean, that you are "Adrian Wood"? I know the pictures. After I have seen this pictures, I visited Dancing Ledge.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Hi O.Q.! Yes, I'm the "Adrian Wood" whose pictures feature on the German fansite. My first name is Adrian, but the Fansite got my second name wrong. It's not "Wood"! :roll: I hope this makes sense. :D

I discovered the Dancing Ledge location in 2007. I hope my pictures inspired you to visit the Ledge! :D

I visited many of the locations in the late 80's/early 90's, then I had to work away a lot & I had to forget about the locations for a few years. I started re-visiting the locations in 2006, after watching my old F5 videos! :D

**Your English is quite good, O.Q! 8)
Onkel Quentin

Post by Onkel Quentin »

number 6 wrote: I discovered the Dancing Ledge location in 2007. I hope my pictures inspired you to visit the Ledge! :D
I was always searching for the rock in the waves, hours and hours, sometimes till deep in the night I was sitting in front of my computer. I wanted to find it with google earth, or with the birdview option from bing maps. I started at the Solent, on westside and eastside, but I couldn't find it. I didn't thought, that it is such a long distance to all the other locations. And suddenly, there was a photo from the rock on the german fanpage, from a Mr. Adrian Wood. And also some other photos. And there was written: Dancing Ledge. I must confess: By my first visit, I couldn't find it :oops:
I stopped my car in the Priestway, I think. Then I walked to the coast, it was very nice. But when I reached the coast, I walked to left side, there is a lighthouse or something similar. Then I turned around and walked to westside. My older daughter was with me, she was ten years old, the sun was shining and i didn't had a cap (and also not so many hairs on my head), so we decided to go back to our car. Later I find out, that we turned only a quarter mile before Dancing Ledge. :(
In the next year I was prepared, I took the parking lot nearby D.L., and walked directly to this wonderful place. But I wasn't the only one there, hundreds of people walked around, some with bikes, some in the water and other people climbed in the cliff. It was the end of august. It was nice there.
One year later, I came on the 2. November to the Dancing Ledge. It was sunny. And I had the D.L. for my own! I climbed down to the rock (it is not so easy), and my younger daughter, now she was eleven, made the photo, I use as my avatar. It was always a great wish in my life, to stay on this rock and to watch the sea.

Image Image Image Image

This are some photos of my last visit, the conditons couldn´t be better. :D

Yes, Number 6, you inspired me to go there. So please send my best wishes to Mr. A. Wood! :wink:
Thank you!
number 6

Post by number 6 »

You're welcome, O.Q. I don't mind sharing my pictures. l hope they inspire other F5 fans to go out to the locations & have a wander around the beautiful New Forest! You're pictures are lovely! I see you've got one where it shows the wall running down the field edge towards the sea. This is where the Children are seen riding their bikes towards DL in the 'Down to the sea' episode! :D

The description of your visits are great. It sounds like you really enjoyed yourself & I'm glad you eventually found Dancing Ledge after a long search. It is hard to find, but the effort is worth it! The lighthouse you saw is at Anvil point, about half a mile from Durlston castle, so you were definitely walking in the wrong direction from DL on your first visit!
I, too, love sitting on the ledge watching the sea lap over the rocks as the tide turns, especially when there's no one else around. :D

If I'm staying in Swanage, then I usually walk up to Durlston Castle & continue along the coastal path to the Ledge, or I might take the bus up to Langton Matravers (2 miles away) & walk the path that you took on your visit. Both are great walks! 8)
If ever you find yourself in Swanage, Dorset, then don't forget to take a few pics of Durlston Castle, Red Towers house in "Fall into adventure"! These were taken from a pleasure boat en-route to Dancing Ledge, which was chartered from the pier in Swanage! :D

Last edited by number 6 on 13 Oct 2019, 20:20, edited 5 times in total.
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

Hopefully I'll go there sometime eventually!!!! :D It's one of the places to where I think I must go. And if my sister studies in Southampton it'll be an excellent excuse to go and visit the New Forest!!! :)
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Machupicchu14 wrote:Hopefully I'll go there sometime eventually!!!! :D It's one of the places to where I think I must go. And if my sister studies in Southampton it'll be an excellent excuse to go and visit the New Forest!!! :)
The New Forest is definitely a place you'd enjoy visiting, Maria Esther! I hope you get your wish some time soon! :D
Onkel Quentin

Post by Onkel Quentin »

number 6 wrote: If ever you find yourself in Swanage, Dorset, then don't forget to take a few pics of Durlston Castle, Red Towers house in "Fall into adventure"!
Here they are:
Image Image

I was there last november, with my younger daughter. Inside has been renovated, and so the coffee shop was closed. But in the upper floor, there was a tablet with tea and cookies for the visitors. We had a nice break. The view was grandiose. Durlston Castle is on a edge, so you can see the sea on two sides. I love it to remember to this wonderful time.
Machupicchu14, if you visit Dancing Ledge, don´t forget to come to Durlston Castle, it´s very nice. And also you have to go to Corfe Castle, it´s beautiful and it was the location of the first Famous Five Movie! (black and white in the 50´s ).