TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
L5taylor
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Georgina

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by L5taylor »

Hey all...

Finally finished reading all these posts! So interesting and pleased to see Gary Russell also taking part.

I'm an '81 kid so obviously, I came late to the 78/79 series. I've always been an Enid Blyton fan...Famous Five being my favourite. I've still got all my books, annuals, VHS tapes and just recently, I brought the Collectors Boxset of the series. I'm working my way through the but I keep getting hit with pangs of nostalgia. My sister, who died two years ago introduced me to the tv series so whenever I read, or see anything to do with the show, it makes me think of her. To be fair, I'm always feeling nostalgic...probably not a good thing! :)

I've enjoyed watching the documentary chat between Russell, Marcus and Jennifer. It makes me sad that Michele is no longer about. I'll readily admit that Michele was my first teenage crush and to a point, I stil feel that whenever I've watched any of the episodes - I don't mean that to sound weird considering I'm now 35 but I suppose it's okay since she was older than me! I've seen a few photos of Michele online which seems to be her as an adult. Still pretty later on in life.

That's about it really...I found my way here because I was interested in location scouting. Although I live in Norwich, I plan to go and explore the filming locations soon. In the meantime, I'll finish rewatching the series! Hope everyone is okay!
number 6
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Hi L5taylor. Welcome to the forums! Nice to hear from you. Thinking of your dear Sister every time you watch the 78 series is a good thing & a lovely way of remembering her. Being nostalgic ain't a bad thing, either! :D
I'm glad you've enjoyed reading the posts & are enthusiastic about visiting the F5 locations. If you want any pointers, then don't hesitate to ask. :D

You'll find Gary Russell a nice, pleasant chap, who is more than willing to answer any questions regarding anything connected with the series. He does pop onto the forums at regular intervals when he's got time, so keep checking in. :D

**** If you go to the board index, then scroll down to "Introduce yourself", you can then tell everyone else on the forums about your Blyton related interests. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, L5taylor! It's lovely that watching the 1970s Famous Five TV series makes you think of your sister. I hope you get the chance to explore the filming locations soon.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:
You'll find Gary Russell a nice, pleasant chap, who is more than willing to answer any questions regarding anything connected with the series.
Nah he's not. He's a nasty grumpy old man who only *seems* nice when regularly supplied with chocolate and tea.
L5taylor

Post by L5taylor »

Gary Russell wrote:
number 6 wrote:
You'll find Gary Russell a nice, pleasant chap, who is more than willing to answer any questions regarding anything connected with the series.
Nah he's not. He's a nasty grumpy old man who only *seems* nice when regularly supplied with chocolate and tea.
That sounds very like me as well actually! Well, apart from the 'old' bit!
L5taylor

Post by L5taylor »

I also have to add that I've been reading THAT Michele Gallagher thread. Frankly, I'm disgusted it got to how many pages it did. Posting email addresses for her son...god...what is wrong with these people? I get it, to a point....and I'd love to see an adult picture of her (verified) but surely her personal life should stay as it is. Gary - is there a way to contact you to send a link to the picture? I don't really want to post it here for fear of it getting plastered everywhere.

It's so nice to have people welcome me also :)
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:
number 6 wrote:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that bit!!!!!! :lol:
ghughesarch

Post by ghughesarch »

Hello all, and thanks for the add. Looking just up thread, the second person in Norwich to have joined in the last couple of days and made straight for the locations discussion!
Though I've been a Blyton fan for 40 years or more, I help out with a site that deals with English country houses and a question has come up there, that has come up a couple of times here, but always escaped an answer - so I'll ask it again with little hope of it being solved - Where was the burnt out house used as "Two Trees" in the 1978 version of "Five on a Hike Together"?
As it was a burnt out wreck at the time of filming, I imagine it was demolished shortly afterwards. And presumably it was somewhere in the New Forest area - handy for all the other locations, and it looks right for that part of the world.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Ghughesarch! It would be good to have some information about the house.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Welcome, ghughesarch! I'm not 100% certain, but I think I've got notes on this particular location...and I think the ruin was outside the New Forest, somewhere East (towards the Southampton area), but don't hold me to it!! Unfortunately, if I have notes, then they'll be amongst the other notes/photos of mine that's been mislaid somewhere! I've not had time to trawl through all of my stored stuff in the attic/loft, but I'll have a bash at it sometime soon! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 23 Dec 2020, 23:16, edited 3 times in total.
L5taylor

Post by L5taylor »

Easiest way to tell is whether anyone knows where 'Gloomy Waters' was filmed...then use google maps to see. Considering two towers was next to it...should be easy to spot.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

The Gloomy waters part of hike was filmed at Sowley Pond, some miles East of Lymington. Unfortunately, the house could've been miles away from the pond! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 16 May 2018, 10:27, edited 2 times in total.
L5taylor

Post by L5taylor »

Ah...I thought it was in the same place. Just google mapped Sowley Pond. No sign of anywhere like it close...but there is some areas where a building could have stood.

Sad I know but while I'm sitting here going through the DVD boxset, every time I see a car with a number plate, I've been looking up the registration number on dvla to see when the cars were last used! Again, sad but it's interesting (to me) :)
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thats the trouble with the F5 locations. Nothing is ever straight forward! In the hike episode for example, the raft scenes were filmed at Sowley pond, but the crossroads where Anne see's the sign for Gloomy waters was filmed near Burley street...some 15 miles away!
I do agree that there are several places around Sowley pond that could've once had a big house sited on it, but that can be said for lots of other places I've visited in the New Forest ! :D

I think someone else on the forums once traced the cars used in the series, but this was some time ago & im not sure who posted the article! :D
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

Hello,
I am new in this forum. I am a Famous Five fan from Germany. Every year i visit the New Forest to find locations. My last visit was at the first week of May. Now I´ve been on every location of the Famous Five series. I hope it will be possible for me to show you some very interesting pictures. I am a friend of Lucke and he always tell me new locations. I am the guy, he wrote, who was in Rhinefield House last Novembre. I hope you can understand my english.
You are all great.
Thank you all for this forum.