TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by Chrissie777 »

number 6 wrote:
Chrissie777 wrote:I have a different question (at least I didn't notice that it already has been mentioned in the TV locations threat): where was "Five on a Secret Trail" filmed? Which place did they use as the common and was the ruined house built by the TV production company or was there already a ruined house/barn that they were able to use?
It's one of my favorite FF books.
The Ponds & the archaeology site used by the twins were filmed at Exbury. As for the common & ruined house, I can't remember. I did have notes on these locations, but they've been lost for some time. I rely heavily on my notes to jog my memory. Maybe Gary Russell will remember where these places are located. :D
Thanks, number 6, I'm hoping Gary Russell will tell us more. 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
timv

Post by timv »

I imagine that the underground passage in 'Secret Trail' was invented; the sandiness of the soil in the book and on Norden Heath/ Creech Heath in real life would make it easy for any passage to fall in. Certainly I have not come across any reference in local books to any tradition of passages in the area, but there was a small mine on nearby Creech Hill (SW of the Blue Pool) which may have given Enid ideas. This is now disused, on private land and fenced off. Both the heaths are overlooked by the nearby Purbeck hill ridge - a good setting for the hill where the Five see the sunlight glinting on the crooks' binoculars as they watch them.

The South of England's first and then only 'butterfly farm' (a research station into butterflies) was set up somewhere around Furzebrook, the small hamlet adjacent to the Blue Pool, around 1950 by the Attlee government. This would have been in action at the time that Enid wrote 'Billycock Hill' and I assume it gave her the idea for that part of that story - which might imply that Creech Hill itself, about three quarters of a mile from Furzebrook and then with a distinct 'dome' shape (now eroded by weather), was seen by Enid as like a 'billycock' (trilby) hat?
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Some great theories, timv! I do share a lot of your thoughts regarding the Purbeck area. I've walked extensively in the areas you've mentioned in your post. There's a lot of places that do have startling similarities to those Enid describes in some of her F5 adventures. I instantly thought of these similarities when I first started walking the Purbecks, many years before I knew that Enid visited Dorset! There was just something so familiar about the area! :D
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Tim and number 6, how very much I envy you for spending time on Purbeck!

When we started planning a long weekend trip to Corfe Castle Village and the Jurassic Coast (with a detour to Salcombe and Wonwell Beach in Devon), it was early August 2008 and of course all B & B's and hotels on Purbeck were already booked out.
So we ended up staying in Yeovil which meant a lot of driving which ultimately took away lots of time from exploring more of Purbeck :(.

Way back then I didn't even know about Swanage, Blue Pool, Norden Heath, EB's golf course and all these things as I didn't yet belong to the Yahoo Blyton Group. This was years before I joined EBS.

Our main reason for going to Corfe Castle Village and certain parts at the Jurassic Coast was the 1957 CFF film "Five on a Treasure Island". In 1995 I had purchased the film on VHS and talked to somebody from Rank Screen Services on the phone who told me about the exact locations along the Jurassic Coast where scenes from FOATI have been filmed.

On that occasion I also discovered Lulworth Cove (my impression was that it must have inspired EB to create Kirrin Bay) and on the way back to the parking area we walked by a cottage which looks just like I always had imagined Kirrin Cottage when I was a child.

In Corfe Castle Village I found a lovely booklet in Viv's Ginger Pop Shop about EB's love for Dorset :). We were very lucky and she was in her store on that Saturday.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I do like reading your posts, Chrissie. They're so enthusiastic & ooze your affection for Enid Blyton! :D
I'm sure you'll get the chance to thoroughly explore the Purbecks one day! I base myself in the same B&B in Swanage whenever I stay in Dorset. It's only a minutes walk to the seafront, a 2 minute walk to Swanage railway & is easy to access the coastal path & the Purbeck hills. It's easy to get to the Golf Course Enid once owned, & Brownsea island, too. In the Summer, frequent buses run from Swanage to Lulworth cove, passing through Corfe Castle. I love walking over the hills to Corfe, stay for a few hours, then come back along the coast path via Durlston Castle. I can send you the B&B details, if you wish. You never know, they might come in handy one day! 8)
Last edited by number 6 on 16 Jul 2017, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Chrissie, here is a photo of Agglestone Cottage seen from Enid's old isle of Purbeck Golf course. The cottage is the one that Enid actually based Mrs Layman's cottage on in Five have a mystery to solve. If you ever visit, then you'll see everything Enid describes in the book fits perfectly, ie Whispering island (Brownsea), big blue harbour (Poole) & the rolling heath/moor sweeping down to the harbour! :D

Last edited by number 6 on 14 Oct 2019, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

number 6 wrote:I do like reading your posts, Chrissie. They're so enthusiastic & ooze your effection for Enid Blyton! :D I'm sure you'll get the chance to thoroughly explore the Purbecks one day! I base myself in the same B&B in Swanage whenever I stay in Dorset.
Number 6, your kind words made my day.
Yes, I would love to have information on that B & B and just sent you a PM.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

number 6 wrote:Chrissie, here is a photo of Agglestone Cottage seen from Enid's old isle of Purbeck Golf course. The cottage is the one that Enid actually based Mrs Layman's cottage on in Five have a mystery to solve. If you ever visit, then you'll see everything Enid describes in the book fits perfectly, ie Whispering island (Brownsea), big blue harbour (Poole) & the rolling heath/moor sweeping down to the harbour! :D
I printed it out and will put it in my folder for that Purbeck trip in a few years.
Number 6, is that the same cottage that you can see in the 1964 CFF movie "Five have a Mystery to solve" or are you referring to the EB FF book?

Also I'm thankful for any information on locations used in the 1957 CFF movie "Five on a Treasure Island" which Rank Screen Services produced:

[Five on a Treasure Island]
Five on a Treasure Island
126 mins (8 episodes)
Adapted from Enid Blyton's book which tells how four cousins and their dog search for the family treasure in a sunken ship and finally outwit their rivals.
Produced by Rank Screen Services Ltd. Story by Enid Blyton. Director Gerald Landau. Producer Frank Wells. Music Jack Beaver.
With: Rel Grainer, Richard Palmer, Gillian Harrison, John Bailey.

Episode 1. The Famous Five.
Episode 2. Diving to Danger.
Episode 3. The Secret of the Wreck.
Episode 4. On the Track of Treasure.
Episode 5. Trapped in the Dungeons.
Episode 6. Escape to Danger.
Episode 7. At the Mercy of the Waves.
Episode 8.The Five Triumphant.

Way back in 1995 I talked to somebody from Rank on the phone and the lady gave me several of the locations (and in 2008 Viv from the Ginger Pop Shop pointed us to Oliver's Bistro just around the corner where the first scene with Timmy running into the antiques store was filmed). We also found the spot right next to Lulworth Cove where the boat landing and leaving Kirrin Island was filmed (it's called Stairhole).

While walking around at Corfe Castle I found a small room which was still in fairly good order and might have been used in the scene when the thunder storm is over and the four children look outside and see the sunken ship on the rocks for the first time (see CFTF photo).
But other than that I never found out more.
For instance where was the beginning with the credits filmed when Kirrin Island is added via matte projection? On which part (of the Jurassic Coast?) are the kids running along? You can see it on the imdb photo:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193949/?ref_=nv_sr_1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which house has been used for Kirrin Cottage in the film?

This is all I could find in the imdb, but maybe somebody has a better link for me:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0193949/loc ... _=tt_dt_dt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

While I can copy & paste the photo from CFTF catalogue into an e-mail, it doesn't work when I try the same on EBS in a post.
This is the link with the photo inside the castle:

http://www.cftf.org.uk/catalogue/f.html ... sureisland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Hmmm...Chrissie, I was going to suggest contacting Viv, but I see you've already done that! I wonder if Tony or Anita (both EBS admin) will know any of the locations, or point you in the right direction? I'll watch the film & see if I can spot any locations that may look familiar to me. I've not seen the film in its entirety, only sporadic clips! :|

** The b&w photo of the kids running in the IMDb link in the coastal scene, is the entrance to Lulworth Cove. The photo below, of the rocky outcrop entrance formation, is identical to the one in your link, but taken from a different angle. The black & white photo (IMDb) was taken from the white cliffs on the left side in the photo, looking towards the cliff entrance on the right( where the castle is superimposed!). It shows the same rocky entrance as LC! Also, to be 100% sure, look at the smaller photos in your first link. Compare the b&w rocky outcrop photo (showing part of the cove entrance) to the photo below. It's the same. Case solved, Mr Holmes! :D

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=lulwo ... -MUNXCyllM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;:
Last edited by number 6 on 16 Jul 2017, 11:38, edited 4 times in total.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

number 6 wrote:..here is a photo of Agglestone Cottage seen from Enid's old isle of Purbeck Golf course. The cottage is the one that Enid actually based Mrs Layman's cottage on in Five have a mystery to solve. If you ever visit, then you'll see everything Enid describes in the book fits perfectly, ie Whispering island (Brownsea), big blue harbour (Poole) & the rolling heath/moor sweeping down to the harbour! :D

Loved the pic! Many thanks.

Betty Maxey's depiction

Enid Blyton's Adventure Magazine Issue No. 8. Gutenberghus. April 1986.

No original illustration/image of this cottage by Eileen Soper as far as I can tell?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

You're welcome, Pete! Thanks for posting the illustrations! :D

Interesting to note, the lighter part of the Cottage is a modern extension & Enid wouldn't have seen it! It has always had a slate roof, not a thatched one as is described in the book. Enid knew the people who owned the cottage & (apparantly) did visit them on at least one occasion. Close to the cottage entrance (Main rd) is the footpath that the Five use to access the golf course, & meet Lucas! :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

number 6 wrote:I wonder if Tony or Anita (both EBS admin) will know any of the locations, or point you in the right direction? I'll watch the film & see if I can spot any locations that may look familiar to me. I've not seen the film in its entirety, only sporadic clips!
I'm afraid I don't know much about the locations. I've only been to Dorset once as an adult and that was a day trip concentrating mainly on Poole and Corfe Castle. At the time, Viv had Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds in Poole and the Ginger Pop Shop in Corfe. A fantastic day but I haven't had the opportunity to go back to the area.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Oh,I suddenly remembered the cottage is pictured in The Famous Five annual too!

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Nice one, Pete! I've got this particular F5 annual, but it hasn't seen the light of day for many a year. I think it's safely stored in trunk in the attic...hopefully! :D