TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
petejt
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by petejt »

Gary Russell wrote:
petejt wrote:
One thing I am wondering about is how to get permission to visit some of the houses? E.g. I read that Blackwater House Needs Ore Cottages (Kirrin Cottage) was sold about, what, October or November just gone? Also Gatewood House? And is there any chance that Exbury House would be open to the public? I would love to visit the basement where they made the secret passages and tunnels!
Gatewood and Blackwater are private residences, so imagine if someone knocked on the door of your house one day and asked to look around. You'd probably say no, particularly after the 150th person did it. Exbury is now a big office complex, so internal access to the bits we used are now off-limits sadly.
petejt wrote:In fact, I was just watching Fall into Adventure where they go through the tunnels. I recognised it being the same tunnel used for On Kirrin Island that runs from Kirrin Castle Cellars to the mainland, surfacing near the beach on the other side of the ridge. I think it was also used in Adventuring Again as the Via Occulta Secret Way, the Finniston Castle cellars escape route to the chapel, and part of the Pirates Path/Wrecker's Way in Go Down to the Sea. There's a bit where they lay Timmy by a window in the stone wall, that leads to the outside. I can see hedges outside- like it's above ground!? I will post some screenshots later to illustrate.
Ha! Yup, the same fifteen feet of tunnel was used in every ep with tunnels, just redressed slightly. It was part of the old Exbury House kitchens - and the steps you mention actually joined the "tunnel" entrance - all part of the same kitchens
petejt wrote:Another thing is a particular set of stairs that was often used in secret passages, with a tarnished black and white wall (I think the bottom half of the wall was roughly painted white). I think it was a servants back stairs in Exbury House. It was used quite a few times.

There was also a ladder shaft used most clearly in Go down to the Sea, where the Five climb up to the Wrecker's Light in what I guess is Highcliffe Castle in real life. It was also used in the Via Occulta.

I don't know where the underground vertical shaft is for the Secret Trail episode. Is that shaft still in existence at Exbury Gardens?
Part of the same tunnel system we built. There's no real shafts in existence, they were all faked.
petejt wrote:Also I am wondering about the caves behind the caravans in Five go off in a caravan. The entrance looked like some kind of hutch with doors that open, fairly poorly disguised underneath some bushes. The shaft seems to be on a slant that the Five and Nobby scatter down. Is that on the Common there near Gatewood Bridge?
Again, all faked. No actual entrances, holes, shafts or tunnels existed - everything built by Bob Cartwright's fab art department team
Thanks for all this. Well Bob Cartwright and his team sure did an amazing job! I love that Secret Way entrance in Adventuring Again, the bookcase entrance in the study of Smuggler's Top and (in the same room) the hidden alcove that hid Solly Weston in Get into Trouble!

Right now I am watching On a Hike Together, and just noticed how my sister's best friend physically resembles Maggie where she's in the boat on Gloomy Water with Dirty Dick.
Is the Two Trees interior the same as inside the Wrecker's Tower? I.e. Highcliffe Castle? Or the same place where George and Anne were held captive by the gypsies on Mystery Moor? That window that Sniffy climbed through seems familiar.
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

petejt wrote:
Right now I am watching On a Hike Together, and just noticed how my sister's best friend physically resembles Maggie where she's in the boat on Gloomy Water with Dirty Dick.
Is the Two Trees interior the same as inside the Wrecker's Tower? I.e. Highcliffe Castle? Or the same place where George and Anne were held captive by the gypsies on Mystery Moor? That window that Sniffy climbed through seems familiar.
Nope, all different places
petejt
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by petejt »

Oh okay then.
Helenbee

Post by Helenbee »

I’m off to the NF next week, please can someone remind me where to find Red Towers as I haven’t been there yet.
Hope everyone had a nice Christmas x
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Hi Helenbee. Lepe House (Red Towers residence) is situated on a cliff overlooking the Solent, about 2 miles SE of Exbury village. Follow the signs for Lepe Country Park visitor centre & Car park. Once at the centre, walk out of the CP entrance, & head a few hundred yards West along the beach road towards the white building, which sits on the waters edge. This is the Watch house, which is Mr Curton's residence in the 'On Kirrin island again' episode. Continue along the path for another few hundred yards & you'll see Lepe house on your right. You can't miss it! There's no public transport down to Lepe at this time of year, so you'll need to drive to the location. I'd recommend buying the New Forest OS Explorer Map OL22. All F5 locations in the NF can be found on this particular map. :D

Last edited by number 6 on 02 Jan 2018, 11:13, edited 2 times in total.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Red Towers? That's the mistake the children make until Jo enlightens them ... The following quote is from a thread about the audio books.
"Another great moment when Jo reveals that "Red Tower" is not a place, but a person. I didn't see that coming."
I have a feeling the name of the house was never revealed!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yes, you're right, Daisy. I usually put Red Towers residence when posting pics, but I forgot this time. Five fall into adventure is still one of my fav F5 stories. I, too, didn't see it coming when Jo revealed that Red Tower was a person! :D
Helenbee

Post by Helenbee »

Thanks no#6 for that. Yeah I went to Lepe before and saw the little hut :) got quite a few pics and the path way up to the road. Your very helpful with your knowledge. Thank you again. I’m staying at Burley Manor as always looking forward to it.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

You're more than welcome, Helenbee! Enjoy your stay at Burley Manor...watch out for Block, though! :lol:

Another view of Lepe House. :D

Helenbee

Post by Helenbee »

I haven't managed to get to Lepe unfortantly however I did yesterday go to Marchwood station.
As its no longer in use I still wanted a few pics so my BF & I climes thru the railings to get some & stand on the platform :)
The outside of the station though-the front was that also Marchwood?? As I didn't recognize that?? Obviously a lot has changed now and being disused with a housing estate now there too.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Nice one, Helenbee! The platform side of the station was mostly used for the episode. However,there is a brief glimpse of the car park side of the station & the level crossing, but these may not be recognisable now. I've not been to Marchwood station for a number of years, so I can't remember too much about the area. Think I'll have to revisit & take a few pics the next time I'm down that way, to replace those that were lost. :D

You'll have to post your pics, Helenbee! :D
Helenbee

Post by Helenbee »

Yes I remember the platform side in the series. Ahhhhh I’ll have to watch to see. Currently got Demonrocks on :) the Marchwood area is a residential area now.
I managed to squeeze in another new location for me yesterday morning prior to leaving, Kirin cottage! The new owners are well & truly in, a lot of work is being done there now. Scaffolding on the side of the roof, diggers in the front or possibly the back~where the pond is in front of the house, also one of those American airstream caravans and a tree house built in the trees!! Could eventually be unrecogniseable soon. Lots of workmen too.
What was a nice surprise, was not realising and clearly an oversight when reading locations that Finninstone farm was just off Warren Lane :) double whammy.
I took pics on my iPhone so would like to upload, I recall yourself no#6 and another member telling me how to upload which I did once before on here.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Blimey! I really hope the new owners don't spoil the cottage & make it unrecognisable, Helenbee! In my personal view, that would be a tragedy. :cry: Did you meet the owners, or did you just wander down to the cottage?

Marchwood has always been a residential place. I haven't been for quite a while, so I'm guessing the 'newish' buildings you're mentioning weren't there during my visit...or possibly they didn't register in my mind at the time! :roll:
Did you see Finniston Farmhouse (Warren house..pics below) where the Five meet the Twins in the episode, or Finniston farm over the road from Warren lane, where the ruined barn is situated...or did you see both? :D
I hope you spotted them both!! :shock: (Apologises, as these pics have been posted before!)

Last edited by number 6 on 14 Oct 2019, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Helenbee

Post by Helenbee »

Hi no#6

I didn't see finnistone farm house :( I was just so pleased with myself seeing the remains of the wall and reconising it straight away I didn't think of the house! Oh hold on!! The house that was Finnisatone farm was also on warren lane?!!? Thinking back, is it the first house on the lane?? Before you go through the gates??
Yes be a shame that Kirrin Cottage could be unrecognisable at some point. No didn't meet the owners. We were a bit baffled when we got to warren lane as it had electronic gates and I just accepted I couldn't go beyond that point but my BF being the way he is, said we've come this way for you to see it, let's press the buzzer and see if gates open, it's an innocent reason why and I thought yes his right if we get stopped, I'll say I wanted to see the FF house as I'm a fan!
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yes, Finniston Farmhouse is on the left as you enter Warren lane, Helenbee! You must've seen it, but it probably didn't register in your mind at the time! :D
I can remember having to press the button to open the gate during my visit to Kirrin Cottage last Summer. However, when I first visited the Cottage (many years ago), the gate was already open. I'm not sure whether or not it had the electric device back then. Anyway, I'm glad you got to see the cottage before the workmen transform it...assuming they actually do, of course! :cry:

What's the next location on your list? :D