TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by number 6 »

Great list, Luke. Not being picky, but a slight correction... Durlston Head & castle 'where Jo is pointing from the boat' is Fall into adventure, not Down to the sea! :D
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

Corrected, thanks for pointing out! :wink:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

No worries, Luke! Just a matter of interest, where did you originally get your info on the series from? I read through your very first list many moons ago & wondered whether you had already visited some of the locations by the time it was compiled, or whether the info was sourced from elsewhere...or both. :D
Both lists are a great reference source to look back on when ones memory goes AWOL! I've got a lot on my mind at the moment & I've been making little errors when posting. I'm thinking of one thing, then writing another! Proper Senior moments! :roll:
timv

Post by timv »

Thanks, Number 6! Keep me posted on when you're coming, I should be able to meet you for a walk around the sites, possibly starting from Lymington. I also know Decoy Pond Farm quite well, from walking through the woods and over the moor from Brockenhurst Station - the farm is around 1 hour 40 minutes walk from Brockenhurst Station, where all trains stop . For those who don't know the area it's about 15 minutes across the moor from Beaulieu Road Station,a minor station on the main Southampton - Bournemouth rail line (the one after Ashurst , before you reach Brockenhurst) and only has a few trains a day. You can see the moor and farm clearly if you look out of the train windows (Southwards, ie to the left if you're heading for Bournemouth) as you're travelling from Southampton to Bournemouth. The moor and farm are to the left after the train emerges from the woods about 5 minutes beyond Ashurst, before it goes into a cutting at Beaulieu Road. From B Road station there are paths across the top of the moor to the farm, and a metalled road too, and you can get a good panorama of 'Mystery Moor' from there. But keep to the paths unless it's a very dry summer, the moor is full of bogs away from the paths in real life too and tourists are always having to be rescued!
I didn't see any of the actual filming of the series, but recognised the sites once it appeared on TV. I visit the Hurst Castle/ lighthouse peninsula regularly too, also Mudeford Quay and Highcliffe Beach. I am pretty sure that Durlston Castle and the adjacent Tilly Whim Caves gave Enid some of the basic ideas for Five Fall Into Adventure in real life; the setting at TWC of a very rocky little cove close to a tower on the cliff, plus a scramble up rocks to a cave-mouth then a passage through the caves up onto the clifftop near the tower is exactly as in the book. I went round TWC as a child, but it has been closed since 1974.
Society Member
Luke

Post by Luke »

No worries, Luke! Just a matter of interest, where did you originally get your info on the series from? I read through your very first list many moons ago & wondered whether you had already visited some of the locations by the time it was compiled, or whether the info was sourced from elsewhere...or both. :D
I got my « knowledge » of all the locations from sources over the years (past 2 years actually):

-this forum (or this thread)

-German Famous Five site (from visitors who posted their pics)

-Fans who wrote me (one Swiss guy “Adrian” told me about the Castle Hill place and a German guy, who was in the New Forest last November with his daughter, sent me some pics where the trailer of the “fall into adventure“ episode was standing. Can you imagine, I never thought this place could be found. I haven’t checked it out myself yet, but he sent me pics and a map where he marked it. I wanted to post it here but I don’t want to post pics that I haven’t made myself, but I can ask him. He was before Blackwater House as well (he had asked permission to enter the private road) and took a great pic of Gatewood house. Actually I was there last summer but missed it, I just passed by looking for Gatewood bridge and didn’t realize it was right there. He was at Dancing Ledge as well and slept at Rhinefield House, where Anne touched the fire place.

-Searching on Google Streetview (I found the iron gate from “get into trouble” that way or Burley Street)

-Internet search (I found Roydon Manor that way)

Yes I was in the New Forest last summer, I was there for 3 days only, visiting Brockenhurst (Roydon Manor, Rhinefield House), then Exbury, Lepe and Gatewood Bridge, Burley and Hurst. I really enjoyed the place and the locations. The best was when I first saw Exbury House, approaching it in the sunlight... I plan to go there again (maybe this summer, depends if there is a meetup and when, haven’t decided yet).

Of course the actors and people involved in the series are still the first source but they were kids at the time and don’t recall all the locations anymore. But with all the sources (Gary, this forum, Internet,...) I hope the list is a good reference although I don’t claim it’s complete or perfect. :wink:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks timv. I'll certainly let you know when I'm doing the walk from Lymington to Beaulieu in the Summer. If you decide to meet up, then I'll PM you my mobile number & we'll try to pick a good day that suits us both.

Great to know where you got your info from, Luke, & that you got to visit the places through this knowledge!
I was lucky enough to actually get permission to enter the private ground of Gatewood House. Then the owner quite unexpectantly invited me & my brother into the house itself, where she showed us round various rooms! :D

timv, I've always said that Enid was inspired by the lighthouse/Tilly whim caves, at Durlston. She & her two daughters spent a lot of time walking around that particular area. They also walked from Swanage to Corfe Castle via the Purbeck hills..listening to the Skylarks as they strolled along the tops. At the end of this walk they'd see Corfe Castle, standing proudly on its own little hill, looking almost as if it were an island! Gillian Baverstock, Enid's eldest daughter, once told me that there was no doubt in her mind that Corfe Castle was the inspiration for her mother's Kirrin Castle.
Also, Clavell tower at Kimmeridge, may have been the setting for Red Towers residence in Fall into adventure. Again, Enid & co would often walk the coastal path at Kimmeridge, so you never know! However, I'm more inclined to think the square towers of Durlston castle would possibly match the ones from Reds place.
Thanks again, Luke, for your time & efforts. Hopefully, we can get together for a plod somewhere! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 04 Feb 2017, 21:50, edited 2 times in total.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Great, number 6. So you were actually inside Kirrin Cottage? Although most interior scenes must have been filmed in Exbury House, I'm sure it was a memorable experience.
Now with all those new locations close by (St Leonards farm, Warren Lane, Rolf Park farm, Sowley Pond, Baddesley lane), that would be a nice bicycle trip during the summer.... :)
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Not exactly, Luke...Gatewood House isn't Kirrin Cottage! Gatewood is where the F5 Child actors stayed during the filming of season 2. The house is used in a few episodes, one of which is Fall into adventure, where the Five meet Jo by a barn & Dick captures Jo. Black water house is Kirrin Cottage, which is located south of St Leonard's farm (Warren Lane)! A lot of people get the two mixed up! :D

I've done a few cycling tours of the locations on the odd occasion whilst in the New Forest. I usually hire a bike from Brockenhurst cycles at the train station. I agree with you Luke, a steady cycle trip sounds good to me, especially if it's a warm, sunny day! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 01 Feb 2017, 00:54, edited 3 times in total.
Helenbee

Post by Helenbee »

Nice to read some more locations added on here to find. Does anyone know where the house on a secret trail is?

Gary I have a question for you. When doing Demons rock, was the filming inside the lighthouse the actual one there at Hurst castle?
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Helenbee wrote:Gary I have a question for you. When doing Demons rock, was the filming inside the lighthouse the actual one there at Hurst castle?
I'd have to double check my notes but i'm pretty sure we did yes. I'll check tomorrow
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I think that there is a scene where the Five are seen climbing the spiral stairs of the Lighthouse & the camera pans upwards & follows them as they circle around towards the top...their voices echoing as they shout & make weird noises. Kids, eh! :roll: There's another scene where the camera angle is pointing up from the ground to the top of the stairs, with the five clearly in shot looking up. I can't be sure, as I've not seen the series for a while, but I seem to recall those particular scenes. :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

A pic of Hurst Lighthouse from my tiny pic account! Don't think much has changed in nearly 40 years. The original entrance has gone, & I think there's one small 'new-ish' building beside the Lighthouse, although it may have been there during filming..but never in shot! :D

http://i65.tinypic.com/vq0evd.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Okay so the Living Room inside the Lighthouse was a set built at Exbury (as of course were the caves/tunnels) Everything else was actually on location inside and outside the Lightghouse and various places around Mudeford and Keyhaven. Oh and a barn which was a barn near Exbury.

My overriding memory of this was poor Pat Jackson ending a darn impressive directing career working with five kids, a dog, a monkey and at least one (possibly more, I really wouldn't like to say) permanently inebriated actor who could barely stand up each day, let alone speak any coherant lines.

I mean we did so well with our directors - Hayer, Leaver and Duffell particularly having a high pedigree, but poor Pat Jackson...
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:My overriding memory of this was poor Pat Jackson ending a darn impressive directing career working with five kids, a dog, a monkey and at least one (possibly more, I really wouldn't like to say) permanently inebriated actor who could barely stand up each day, let alone speak any coherant lines.
Awww...Poor old Pat Jackson! It must've been a frustrating time for the poor chap, especially having to deal with inebriated actors! Hmmm..wonder if my Dad was an actor?!!!! :shock:
Last edited by number 6 on 01 Feb 2017, 21:27, edited 1 time in total.
Luke

Post by Luke »

During last summer, I took a pic through the window at Hurst Lighthouse. Looks pretty messy :o