TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by Chrissie777 »

privateer2001 wrote:Hi all! I'm a new member to this forum. I'm originally from Newfoundland, Canada, but living in the USA right now, on Martha's Vineyard (another island - I seem attracted to them.. wonder if its a subconscious thing from watching the Famous Five so many years ago, actually).
Hi privateer2001, welcome to the forum. :D

We are almost your neighbors. We live in Worcester, MA, 50 minutes west of Boston and about 80 miles from Cape Cod. I've been to Martha's Vineyard twice, but think that Nantucket is even more beautiful.
My husband is originally from Canada (Québec). I'm from Germany, moved to the US in 2002.
Just like you I love islands and am convinced it's because of Kirrin Island and reading the Famous Five when I was 10 years old.

Those widow's walks on the roofs of the old whaling captains' houses in Edgartown are beautiful, aren't they?
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
privateer2001
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by privateer2001 »

Hi Chrissie777:

I've been to Nantucket as well. Usually stay at the youth hostel out there (Old Lifesaving Station) on the beach and cycle around. I used to work for Hosteling International a few years ago and made a few plane trips over there to do maintenance on the place. Plane ride from MV was 50 bucks one way in 2009. So very affordable. I have lots of pictures from there. Its a really nice place but very posh in some ways. The old saying goes: "Martha's Vineyard is the playground of millionaires. But Nantucket is the playground of Billionaires."

Yeah, I know the houses of which you speak in Edgartown. I think you can actually come across them all over the island, but probably most prominent in Edgartown. On my Dad's side, our family are "Culls" from Devon in England, I believe. We even had a small sheep farm for many years back home in Newfoundland. I think some relatives in Devon still keep sheep over there, if I'm not mistaken. My mother's side (she's American) are "Wagler's" and they were German from Alsace Lorraine originally. So I've always kinda liked the Germans and the British because of that.

Well, yer not that far away. Here I was feeling all envious because all the members on this site lived in England where they could visit these filming locations at their leisure. Glad to see Enid Blyton and the Famous Five had fans all around the world! :) Good to meet ya, Chrissie. Thanks for the reply. :)
number 6
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

privateer2001 wrote:I see many great pics on here of filming locations taken with your cameras, but I have to ask if there is a limitation on how big they can be because many seem very low resolution. Or is it something I'm doing wrong in accessing them? Anyway, looking forward to chatting with any of you who want to do so. All the best! :)
There is indeed a size limitation for pics posted on this forum. I can't remember what it is, though! My pics are automatically downsized to 600 X 400, but I'm not 100% sure what the maximum dimensions are. :roll: Someone on here will know.

I can send you some pics as seen on this thread...if it helps you! Just PM me your e-mail address. :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Another cracking post, timv! Quite impressed with the research you've done. It's very interesting, with many possibilities that you've come up with as well. :D
privateer2001

Post by privateer2001 »

This might not be the place to ask this question, but does anybody know off-hand if any of the newer series of Famous Five episodes(shot in 95) used any of the same locations used in the 78 series? I haven't seen it mentioned but I haven't read all 70 pages yet either... :)
number 6

Post by number 6 »

The locations used in the 90's series were completely different to those used in the 70's, privateer. I can't be 100% sure, but I think the County of Northumberland was one of the places used. There is a thread on this forum dedicated to the 90's series, which discusses the locations, actors, plots, etc, & has a few pics as well. When you log in, you'll see the Board Index. Scroll down till you see 'Blyton on tv'. Click on here & you'll see the thread for the series located on there. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The 1990s series also used quite a lot of locations in Gloucestershire, Somerset and Devon.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks Anita! I actually thought Devon was a filming location, but I didn't know the other two were! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 23 Jan 2018, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've just remembered that lots of specific locations (from the 1970s and 1990s series) were given by Ness in the first post of this thread. She has updated the information several times over the years:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... 398#p34398" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This post by Tony is also very interesting:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... 173#p34406" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
privateer2001

Post by privateer2001 »

I've another question that bugs me... the opening scene with the theme song shows Dick falling backwards off a raft (I think that one always stuck in my head as much as the theme song, as well). :) Is that something that happened on Sowley Pond where the Five took off on the raft to search the boat? So far I haven't come across that scene in any of the episodes. So I was wondering if it was actually filmed just for the opening scene at the start of the show (maybe at the same time they were filming on Sowley Pond because it looks like the same raft, maybe), or if it was an actual scene from one of the episodes. Come to think of it, I guess the same question could be asked for all of the "opening credits" with George on the bike, etc... Any ideas?
privateer2001

Post by privateer2001 »

Thanks number6 and Anita for your answers. It saved me a lot of time, in one way. But I guess I'll have a go at the 95 series after I finish the 78 one. I'm not too fussy about the characters in that newer one, I must say. Uncle Quentin seems quite different than the 70's one. I don't know. I guess growing up at about the same age as those characters in the 70's... something just resonates with me that I don't get out of the 90's characters.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

privateer2001 wrote:I've another question that bugs me... the opening scene with the theme song shows Dick falling backwards off a raft (I think that one always stuck in my head as much as the theme song, as well). :) Is that something that happened on Sowley Pond where the Five took off on the raft to search the boat? So far I haven't come across that scene in any of the episodes. So I was wondering if it was actually filmed just for the opening scene at the start of the show (maybe at the same time they were filming on Sowley Pond because it looks like the same raft, maybe), or if it was an actual scene from one of the episodes. Come to think of it, I guess the same question could be asked for all of the "opening credits" with George on the bike, etc... Any ideas?
The opening credit scenes just highlighted the characters for the series & didn't appear in any episodes. Gary Russell's (Dick) scene was filmed at Sowley Pond. Not sure if it were filmed at the same time as the episode, though. I'm sure Gary said it wasn't, but I could be wrong. Jennifer Thanisch's (Anne) scene was shot in two parts. The first riding a horse on the Heath close to Decoy pond farm (Mystery Moor) & the second at Blackwell Common area, where you only see her top half. Michele Gallagher's (George) scene was also shot at Blackwell Common area. Gary Russell drops on the forums from time to time & is a mine of info, so I'm sure you'll enjoy his memories from the series. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 09 Apr 2021, 21:19, edited 2 times in total.
privateer2001

Post by privateer2001 »

Wonderful, number6. More info than I thought I'd learn, but as much as I'd hoped for. :) So thanks. I had thought maybe Dick's scene was shot at the same time as when they were shooting on Sowley Pond, as that might make things more efficient. But then again, maybe they just took each of them one day and took them to the locations for their cameo in the opening credits. The other thing it would be interesting to know, at least from Gary, is if his scene had been planned like that or a complete blooper caught while he was trying to maneuver the raft and he lost his balance. Either way, it was a good shot! :)

Btw, why "number6"? Wishing you were the 6th member of the group, perhaps? If so, you're not alone, I tell ya. or is it a reference to something else? "Privateer2001" came about as I needed a handle for hotmail back in 2001, and I always fancy myself a bit outside of the ordinary in the way I live, and as privateers were sort of sanctioned by the law but still a little bit outside it, I chose it as a handle. :)

I always remembered the "Five Go Off in a Caravan" episode. I always thought that was a splendid idea. I wonder if they still rent horse drawn caravans today, or even if they actually did do it in that time-frame back in the 70's. Some parts of the British Isles seem a land out of time to me. There's so much history there. Imagine you could be a time traveller and go anywhere and actually go back and see the filming of these series without being noticed.

There's always a profound bitter-sweetness to me about certain events/people (interesting to me) that have occurred in the past that I have evidence for but no firsthand knowledge of; especially of things that are captured on film, as this 70's series, and so is just frozen in time now. But at least the series is being reproduced on DVD for us to appreciate it. I wonder if the DVD's have any behind-the-scenes or out-takes that weren't in the final edits? Unfortunately, I can't buy them yet because they are only Region 2 or 4, not region 1. Who would have thought no one wouldn't have produced a universal standard by now??? :)

Anyway, great chatting with you all. Appreciate your thoughts on anything related to the Famous Five.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary's scene was intentional. If I remember correctly, I think they made him do the scene 3 times. One close up & two from a distance(?). Again, this has been discussed earlier in this thread, but I'm having trouble trying to recall the exact words Gary said. Another senior moment!! :roll:

'Gypsy' caravans can still be hired for holidays here in the UK, but I think they're more popular in the Rep of Ireland. Fortunately, as an island, we are truly blessed with history. There's always somewhere to go in the UK that can transport you back in time, & capture your imagination. :D

As for my user name, I was a complete addict to the 1960's tv series 'The Prisoner', starring Patrick McGoohan...or No6 as he was known in the series. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 23 Jan 2018, 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
privateer2001

Post by privateer2001 »

number6... interesting you should mention it as that was one of the series used to play every Sunday morning at home in Newfoundland during the early 80's, I think. It was an older series but still good... Patrick Mcgoohan. I remember him clearly. That was in the back of my mind when I saw your nickname, but I couldn't put two and two together at that time. I didn't physically remember he was called number6, but somewhere in the subconscious, I remembered. Cool. :)

Speaking of history or capturing the imagination, do you reckon King Arthur ever existed in some form or another? And what would you think of dragons having possibly existed? With regards to the latter, seems like an awful lot of history from many nations records stories about them. I've always wondered...