TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by number 6 »

Machupicchu14 wrote:
number 6 wrote:Helenbee, Whilst you were at Gatewood Bridge, did you recognise the place where George rides her bike down a slope in the opening credits of the 1978 F5 TV series? Here's how it looks today! Just above the slope is where the Circus camp was located in Five go off in a caravan. :D

Is that really it??? :shock: looks a bit changed but nevertheless it's the place. How I would love to go there!!

I don't know why but I am just feeling nostalgic...
Its hard to believe, but it's nearly 40 years since the F5 TV series opening credits were filmed! Father Time has certainly changed things since then. However, as you approach this location, you still can imagine Michele (George) riding her bike down the slight slope as if it were yesterday! :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

A distant view of Durlston Castle, Durlston bay (Swanage) which doubles as Red Towers residence in Five fall into adventure. This photo was taken from aboard a tourist boat as it made its way to Dancing Ledge. The latter featured in Five go down to the Sea. Interestingly, The scene where Gary, Marcus and Julie set off in the boat to find RT's residence was filmed at Highcliffe beach. The distant view was stock footage. The children never visited this area to film. :D

Last edited by number 6 on 23 Dec 2020, 23:09, edited 2 times in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks, Number 6. It's great to see these locations!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

It is nice to see the locations as they are today, Anita, & how they've changed since the series first aired.
To some, me included, they bring back some happy memories! :)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Happy memories for me too. Great pictures Number 6. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Helenbee

Post by Helenbee »

Number 6 do you know if you can go in the castle or even walk around the grounds?
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

You can walk around the grounds, Helenbee, and there is a cafe there too. But it's been about three years since I went to Durlston.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Helenbee wrote:Number 6 do you know if you can go in the castle or even walk around the grounds?
Yes! The Castle was completely renovated a few years ago & is now accessible to everyone...free of charge. It has a visitor centre, Cafe & exhibition rooms, etc. You can actually take the spiral stairs, or lift, to the top, where there is a viewing room that looks out to sea & across Durlston bay to the Isle of Wight! You can also walk freely outside the room & wander to other parts of the Castle. The views are brilliant. Well worth a visit..or two!
The Castle sits in the Durlston Country park, a mile from Swanage town centre, & has miles of Coastal, meadow & woodland walks. It is run by the Dorset County Council, who have an excellent website solely for the Castle/Country park. I'll try & post a link later. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 13 Feb 2021, 13:06, edited 2 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Helenbee, Here's the link to Durlston Country Park http://www.durlston.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The car park is a bit pricey though, so be warned if your coming by car! You can walk it from Swanage, but it's a mile..& all uphill. In Summer, a bus runs from Swanage bus station (Next to Steam Railway station) directly to the Castle visitor centre car park & is reasonably priced. I hope you get the chance to visit.
Tip:- Bring a picnic or packed lunch, because the Cafe is a bit pricey as well. :D
Helenbee

Post by Helenbee »

Thank you very much number 6. Got somewhere new to visit and tick off the F5 list now!
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Your welcome, Helenbee! Hope you enjoy your visit. :D Remember, though, the Castle exterior scene which appeared in the series, was the one viewed from the Sea in the photo I posted! The rest of the castle wasn't used. You can more or less replicate the photo if you walk from the pier in Swanage, up to Pevril point (300 yards away) & look across Durlston bay to the Castle perched on the cliff. However, a boat trip past the Castle itself is the best view point! The Castle/Country park is a must see place anyway & worth a visit. :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

A 2.5 mile walk West along the coastal path from Durlston Castle brings you to Dancing Ledge (NT). This area was the filming location for the coastal scenes in Five go down to the Sea. The pic below, shows the rocky outcrop where Yan is seen standing looking out to sea. :D
This location can also be accessed via a 1.5 mile path from Langton Matravers (2 miles North of Swanage).

Last edited by number 6 on 13 Feb 2021, 13:12, edited 3 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

A wide angle view of Dancing ledge, where Julian, Dick & Yan scrambled over the top of the ledge. There's a steep path that leads from the coastal path onto the top of the ledge (left in photo) & a difficult descent (Agile climb!) down to the bottom ledge itself, assuming you actually want to stand on the rock where Yan stood! This photo was taken from the top of the ledge looking East! The Wreckers Cave, and where the Children hide behind a big rock, are to the left of the little inlet nearest the camera. The Rock can just be seen in the bottom left hand corner. :D

Last edited by number 6 on 13 Feb 2021, 13:17, edited 3 times in total.
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:Your welcome, Helenbee! Hope you enjoy your visit. :D Remember, though, the Castle exterior scene which appeared in the series, was the one viewed from the Sea in the photo I posted! The rest of the castle wasn't used. You can more or less replicate the photo if you walk from the pier in Swanage, up to Pevril point (300 yards away) & look across Durlston bay to the Castle perched on the cliff. However, a boat trip past the Castle itself is the best view point! The Castle/Country park is a must see place anyway & worth a visit. :D
Oh I am glad you clarified that because I thought I was going mad. I thought "We never went to Swanage for that story!"
number 6

Post by number 6 »

No, you're not going mad! You're absolutely correct. My mistake. :oops: I've just watched the scene where Marcus, Julie & yourself are bobbing around in the boat & it was shot just below Highcliffe Castle in Christchurch bay in Hampshire, NOT Durlston bay as I said. A confusing moment where I got the two mixed up! Maybe it's because I've not seen the episode since the screening at the EBS day in Twyford a few years back! However, the distant & close up shots of Durlston Castle/bay do appear in Fall into adventure. Do they call these stock film, or something like that????
It's a good job you've got a memory, Gary...& a pity I haven't! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 14 Feb 2021, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.